Remote start key fob

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
So my 2020 Ranger has remote start but only through the app, no button on the fob. Is it possible to purchase a new fob that has the remote start button, pair it, and have it work?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
My current one looks like this

fob.jpg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I'm sure Ford would tell you it's not possible but I'm sure you could add it with the right hardware and software tweeks.

My truck came with the fob start and it's a two way system. You push the start button and a light flashes green when it starts.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As the others have mentioned the only way you can add the Ford remote start is to have it from the accessory book. It would give you a separate fob with a button on remote start and the father that you currently have will still stay with you. The fobs that have the remote start button will not work on the trucks that don't have remote start from the factory. A sad truth I must say.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My son in law's brother has a 2016 or so fusion an a ford tech he knows said he could turn on the remote start. He hooked up his computer an activated it. IF he hits the lock button 3 times it starts. No start button on his either.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
So my 2020 Ranger has remote start but only through the app, no button on the fob. Is it possible to purchase a new fob that has the remote start button, pair it, and have it work?
to get remote start from fob i had to add the below module. recommend ordering and purchase install from https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/vehicle-security/electronic-module-12157.html and have it sent to your dealership for install. By purchasing install ($58 in my area) saved a lot of $$ since the dealership didn't have experience with the install and would have charge 3 hours it took them.

you do NOT need a new fob works by (lock-unlock-lock). Only If you want longer range do you need other fob

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
yeah you dont have the auto start.
im sure you need a different key fob, but im not sure if its that easy. might have to contact the dealer
Actually I do, but as I said in my OP I can currently only start it from the app, I want to start it with the fob as well.

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
to get remote start from fob i had to add the below module. recommend ordering and purchase install from https://accessories.ford.com/electronics/vehicle-security/electronic-module-12157.html and have it sent to your dealership for install. By purchasing install ($58 in my area) saved a lot of $$ since the dealership didn't have experience with the install and would have charge 3 hours it took them.

you do NOT need a new fob works by (lock-unlock-lock). Only If you want longer range do you need other fob
I'm thinking I don't need that, it includes remote start, I already have remote start but I can only start from the app.
rs.jpg

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
did you try the sequence he said above then?

because i think the app turns your car on through other means using the modem.
the fob uses radio frequencies.

so if you dont have the right module in the truck you have to add it.
Not yet but I'm going to guess it won't work for that reason as it wasn't mentioned in the manual that I could find. Seems kind of silly that it wouldn't be on the fob to begin with, but I'm wondering, it is already receiving signals from the fob for lock/unlock/panic, would it recognize the remote start button from a fob that had it? I think I may end up having to but one and try it to find out. I'll be trying the mentioned method today.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Not yet but I'm going to guess it won't work for that reason as it wasn't mentioned in the manual that I could find. Seems kind of silly that it wouldn't be on the fob to begin with, but I'm wondering, it is already receiving signals from the fob for lock/unlock/panic, would it recognize the remote start button from a fob that had it? I think I may end up having to but one and try it to find out. I'll be trying the mentioned method today.
I believe it depends on if you have a tailgate damper installed? :crackup:

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
I believe it depends on if you have a tailgate damper installed? :crackup:
LOL, everything seems to revolve around that. I wasn't going to install one but if it's so powerful as to solve even my problem I might reconsider... :p

T Bone

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Southern Adirondack Mountains of upstate NY
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
that may be an option you can turn on using forscan..........damn i seem to remember seeing remote start in there somewhere, but my memory is shit most of the time

OP
OP
Davejb

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
that may be an option you can turn on using forscan..........damn i seem to remember seeing remote start in there somewhere, but my memory is shit most of the time
Remote start is already enabled and working via the app from the factory, I want to program a fob that has the remote start button (mine doesn't), I know forscan can do the programming, I'm trying to find out if a fob with the start button will work.

Washashore

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SCab Lariat 4x4
Remote start is already enabled and working via the app from the factory, I want to program a fob that has the remote start button (mine doesn't), I know forscan can do the programming, I'm trying to find out if a fob with the start button will work.
Getting a factory remote start fob won't work for you.. The frequency for remote start fobs and vehicle receiver is 902 MHz, while your remote and receiver w/o remote start is 315 Mhz. People found out about this when ordering the Keyless entry pad. See post #55 https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ranger-keypad.1778/page-4