First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
I wasn't able to find something about this but let me know if it's already been discussed.

My Ranger has remote start, which I didn't originally want but I'm finding useful. I was wondering if there is a way to disable the auto shut off for the auto start. My thinking is that I can leave the dog in the (remote started) truck, go shopping or whatever, and the air conditioner will keep him comfortable. Is there a way to do something like that?
Sponsored

nevada.tracy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
I wasn't able to find something about this but let me know if it's already been discussed.

My Ranger has remote start, which I didn't originally want but I'm finding useful. I was wondering if there is a way to disable the auto shut off for the auto start. My thinking is that I can leave the dog in the (remote started) truck, go shopping or whatever, and the air conditioner will keep him comfortable. Is there a way to do something like that?
I use the ford pass app on my phone. I take the keys with me start the truck with the app (which locks the doors.)but you need to set up the climate to what you want before. I'm pretty sure you do that with the steering wheel buttons and menus. The truck will run for 15 minutes unless you up the run time on the app as well.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I use the ford pass app on my phone. I take the keys with me start the truck with the app (which locks the doors.)but you need to set up the climate to what you want before. I'm pretty sure you do that with the steering wheel buttons and menus. The truck will run for 15 minutes unless you up the run time on the app as well.
I would say... it's not worth the risk of something happening and it not working as you wish.... even if it works 9 our of 10 times.... you probably care enough to not want to think about the 10th time.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

If you go shopping then can't you just leave it running without remote start?

OP
OP

Lardener

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
If you go shopping then can't you just leave it running without remote start?
The remote start isn't the same as leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm not sure why but the dealer told me stealing a remote started car isn't just a matter of breaking the window and putting it in gear.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The remote start isn't the same as leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm not sure why but the dealer told me stealing a remote started car isn't just a matter of breaking the window and putting it in gear.
Oh, I forgot there were keyed cars. I have a push button. My bad. :(

ADDED: I think you can change that via forscan, but I don't have that so can't confirm.

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

It is probably doable from a technical standpoint, but why would you leave a dog (or a child) in a vehicle that might potentially heat up (to unbearable levels, and quicker than most people imagine) if something went wrong?

OP
OP

Lardener

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
There's a setting in the car where you can pick 5, 10, 15 minutes. In the app can I set, say, an hour?

OP
OP

Lardener

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
It is probably doable from a technical standpoint, but why would you leave a dog (or a child) in a vehicle that might potentially heat up (to unbearable levels, and quicker than most people imagine) if something went wrong?
Seems to work for Tesla. Why not Ford?

Reactions: EJH

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just leave the keys in the truck with it running.

Anybody brave enough to steal my truck with 200 lbs of barking and drooling can have it.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I’ve thought about this too, I wouldn’t risk a mechanical issue with my dog in the car. Never know... could blow hot air pretty quick if something in the A/C system gave up the ghost. Guess it depends how hot it gets where you live. We get 115+ so dog wouldn’t make it long

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
We had a guy here with a jeep.
Jeep was had a cloth top on like a bikini top.
The sides were made from a net.

He stopped to eat in McDonalds (dinner / late afternoon) and left two dogs in the OPEN AIR JEEP with temps in the roaring 80's and breezy.

Lady goes into McDonalds and starts yelling about the dogs in the jeep. He assures her they are OK, so she facebooks live to the neighborhood forum herself snagging a fire extinguisher from McD's and then BASHING the WINDSHIELD to save the dogs from suffocating....
In the
Open
Air

Jeep.

Patrons from McD's ran her off and she called the cops. I think she was held accountable but the story goes fuzzy there.

Regardless of how it played out in the end, there are self entitled lunatics out there looking for their moment of Social Justice Heroism. Don't be the reason they ignorantly Facebook Live the destruction of your truck.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
FWIW. Copied, not my words.
Aside from direct criminal laws against leaving a vehicle running while unattended, there is also a possibility for civil liability. Insurance coverage might not apply to a vehicle stolen because the owner left it running while unattended. Check your policy and ask your agent to find out for sure. Similarly, anyone injured, or any property damage occurring as a result of someone operating the vehicle who should not have been but was able to simply because it was left running may have a claim against the owner of the vehicle (or the person who left it running unattended) for negligence. In some cases it could even be considered grossly negligent and could result in greater liability and even punitive damages.

As a result, while not every jurisdiction has a specific law against leaving a vehicle running while unattended, many do, and the number is growing. Regardless of whether there is a specific law prohibiting the practice, there will always be a chance for significant civil liability resulting from leaving a vehicle running unattended, so it is unwise simply from the standpoint of opening oneself up to a lawsuit. Moreover, insurance may not apply to damages or injuries caused by an accident that occurred only because the owner (or insured driver) left the vehicle running unattended.

OP
OP

Lardener

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT
Just leave the keys in the truck with it running.

Anybody brave enough to steal my truck with 200 lbs of barking and drooling can have it.
I used to know a guy who trained guard dogs. Those dogs scared the crap out of me. He would leave is truck running with one of the dogs in there, pretty much daring anyone to take it. I heard someone tried once. Once.
Sponsored