Remote Range

ekraus

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My remote range is extremely short. I knew it was short but I put a Start-X remote starter in the truck and it works but you have to be within about 25 feet from the truck to issue the Lock-Unlock-Lock to get the engine to start. So how do I increase the range of the remote? Where is the receiver? Can the range be extended?
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
My remote range is extremely short. I knew it was short but I put a Start-X remote starter in the truck and it works but you have to be within about 25 feet from the truck to issue the Lock-Unlock-Lock to get the engine to start. So how do I increase the range of the remote? Where is the receiver? Can the range be extended?
I have never measured the distance, but the stock fob can open, lock, and start from way across a huge parking lot or, when on the trails, from way across a meadow, basically, if I can see it, I can start it. I wonder if you would be better off installing the OEM version as an aftermarket mod? Or is that even possible? Anyway, I love the convenience, especially on a really cold or really hot day! It also enhances security because whenever I am walking away from the truck and want to double-check that I locked it, I can hit the fob and the horn tells me that I locked it, or locked it again!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You might want to call Start X and ask what the range should be and if it's adjustable. I know my factory remote I can start from inside a restaurant which has to be 100' or more from my truck.

dapakattack

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I had contacted Start-X awhile back about how to extend the range. Here is their reply:

"Any Fortin branded RF kit will work. You dont need anything else, they just plug in.

One example is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9HWQQJ

However they make a bunch of different ones. You can search online for Fortin RF Kit."

I haven't added one, so I don't know range/performance.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Can you use Ford pass? It uses satellite I believe. I've unlocked, locked and started mine from a basement 100 yards away using it. It's not instantaneous but works.

OP
OP

ekraus

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I think I read that the factory remote start fob and receiver are a different frequency.
An I know from friends that have the factory start option it works from a long distance.
The Remote-X Start is an after market Plug and Play part using the existing fob.
When I got the truck I was not happy with the distance the fob worked in. My Nissan 2007 is a good couple of hundred feet. I just think Ford did a crappy job with this. The dealer says "it works".
If I can find where the receiver is I can probably put a remote antenna. But the Remote-X product doesn't do much for me because when i get it to work I am about to open the door or am getting in. The Fortin RF KIT has its own fob so then I would have to carry 2. The app on the phone is to cumbersome. and most of the time doesn't work.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Can you use Ford pass? It uses satellite I believe. I've unlocked, locked and started mine from a basement 100 yards away using it. It's not instantaneous but works.
Ford Pass works fine, as long as you are not in a hurry. Response times to open the app and execute a start can take over a minute.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Pass works fine, as long as you are not in a hurry. Response times to open the app and execute a start can take over a minute.
Agreed, it just has a bit more range.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
It use cell signal not satalites ?
Lol I had a 50 50 chance. Since I never activated the wifi in my truck I had to guess the sat antenna.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
AT&T is what I was told , that's why it works good for some and not so good for others...
Yea when we bought the truck I was already on At&t unlimited so it was useless to me, I'm on Verizon now, I might opt to activate mine if we take a trip out west so I have a backup phone signal. Wondering what a satellite phone and activation would run?
Sponsored