Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys 4Xe
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply! Sounds like a lot of trim removal, but oh well. I just ordered the kit from Livittown Ford and saved $50 over what my local dealer wanted. Anxious to see the directions regarding running the wire to CHMSL. Hopefully all goes well and I don't create squeaks and rattles!
Not to beat this to death, but the trim comes off quite easily and mine snapped back on such that you can't tell Ford didn't do it. As for squeaks and rattles, it is a truck after all.

You're going to love this controller and after it's over and a few beers have passed, you'll forget what a PITA it was to install ?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
How long did this installation take start to finish? Excuse me if I missed it. I wonder how much longer the CHM light run takes. My dealer is quoting me a 2 hour install plus he needs an 1 hour look see to verify wiring. I'm guessing the look see is because they haven't ever installed one yet.

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
How long did this installation take start to finish?
Probably a few weeks. I did a lot of study, discovered there were different Redarc units and mountings, etc., etc., etc..

Then there’s the wife factor. “You’re going to tear apart WHAT on your brand new truck?!” I had to wait until she went shopping before I could start. Of course, I was done before she got back ?

so, about two hours once you have all your ducks in a row.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Probably a few weeks. I did a lot of study, discovered there were different Redarc units and mountings, etc., etc., etc..

Then there’s the wife factor. “You’re going to tear apart WHAT on your brand new truck?!” I had to wait until she went shopping before I could start. Of course, I was done before she got back ?

so, about two hours once you have all your ducks in a row.
:thumbsup:

mrgary321

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
retired engineer
No pictures, but be prepared for a major PITA getting at the connectors and plugging them in. Here are some hints, use at your own risk :shock:

[HINT #1] Previously someone suggested doing it from the bed and removing the entire lamp assembly. That is what I did and I think it was a better approach than doing it all from inside.

[HINT #2] After you determine which 'color' connectors you have, be very careful assembling them and plugging them up. They need to make a snap and if not you may not have a connection. If you cannot get them to snap, push them in hard with a needlenose pliers.

[HINT #3] I was waaaaay too gentle with the headliner after some a*hole said that it would bend, crease and never look the same. After playing around with it I found it to be extremely flexible, it snapped right out and then snapped back in and looks like it has never been out.
T

Thanks for the hints, they were helpful. I think if I were to do this again, it would go much quicker. I spent a lot of time worrying about breaking or ruining a piece of trim. I did break one retainer prong on the front door sill trim. The headliner made me nervous as well, especially after "finding" an air bag! I still wonder what the other two signal wires that were bundled with the two wires that are used were for. I have a feeling they would probably function the controller as well, but maybe not work with the emergency braking stuff.

Stewie85

First Name
Stewie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger LTX FX4
Anyone have any luck mounting the OEM controller knob below the 4wd knob? The v3 Redarc no longer has an RJ45 jack, so I'm not sure if the supplied cable will be long enough (haven't had a chance to dig in yet).

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
The cable that came with my kit is plenty long enough to reach from under steering wheel to near the 4x4 controller knob.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Just doing research and I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Install is going to be a breeze with all this info ?

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Just doing research and I wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Install is going to be a breeze with all this info ?
Yeah the help on this forum is outstanding. I'm about to dive into this on the weekend. My dealer quoted 3 hours, called me after about 2hrs and said "nope, we're not doing this." Guess it's my turn then. ?‍♂

Edsel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Professor
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the help on this forum is outstanding. I'm about to dive into this on the weekend. My dealer quoted 3 hours, called me after about 2hrs and said "nope, we're not doing this." Guess it's my turn then. ?‍♂
It’s a Ford part! Report them to the head office and then, just to spite ‘em, do it yourself.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Lol I thought the same thing when I looked up the install procedure for the Ford version of the kit.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
The install is not as terrible as it initialy seems. Some panels need a bit of a pull to get them to come off. Removing the third brake light does help in accessing a clip holding the wires. Take your time and go slow.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
The install is not as terrible as it initialy seems. Some panels need a bit of a pull to get them to come off. Removing the third brake light does help in accessing a clip holding the wires. Take your time and go slow.
I agree, it's not that bad. I currently have an injury that prohibits me from getting to it so I want the dealership to. All three dealers refused the installation of it in my city. That's kinda BS - Ford care can't force them to do it either. Major oversight on Ford's part. We'll see if I heal up before my trip that needs the controller, and I'll do it myself.

Trainman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4 door FX4
Occupation
Retired
Just had my local Ford dealer install the factory tow controller part VKB3Z-2C006-A. It was their first install in a Ranger. The install price was $444.00 including labor which took almost 3 hours. Was happy with the install but Ford puts the controller under the left side on the fuse panel cover. I found it hard to see so I bought a Lightforce panel and installed it on the center space. Well worth the effort and was no problem running the controller and cable to the new location. In the Lightforce instructions it mentions replacing the cable that plugs into the controller with part CBRJ45 in order to fit. That's not necessary because even though the Ford controller is a re-badge REDARC Toe-Pro controller the cable supplied in the Ford version fits. The Ligthforce blank panel needs only one 3/8" hole in the center to fit the controller.
Hope this helps!
Sponsored