Recommended tires for a 2019 Ranger for mixed use?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
All,

An update. I LOVE the Falken Wildpeaks so far.....very smooth ride and seem much grippier than the Hankooks.

I'm still riding them at the high pressure the tire shop recommended, but would like to set it appropriately as I know that will improve the ride comfort even more.

My problem is...how do I determine what to run them at?

I see websites like this (https://tirepressure.com/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-tire-pressure) but it only lists max pressure. Should I run them at the pressure listed on the inside of the drivers side door? I mean, the tire shop guy said that was really only for the factory-installed tires (Hankooks) but if that was the case, why would car manufacturers bother to print it *permanently* on the door?

Thanks in advance!
Trust the door. It is for the vehicle recommended tire pressure from what I know. Plus, these tires can drop down to 18 psi for off-road if you were so inclined. But anything above 30 is safe imo. I run 34 right now, might go down to 30 for more grip. my 0-60 times are kind of off.. I know changing from a highway tire to a mixed tire will do that but still.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I run my 265/70/17 Wildpeaks at 30psi and I find the ride is good. Anything more and it starts getting too bumpy. Any less and mileage starts dropping more. According to a tire calculator I found where you input your stock tire and factory recommended PSI, it recommends I run these at 27psi, but I find that too low.
Hah, glad to hear 30 works well. Was just writing a reply saying I wanted to try 30 psi out probably.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I have Falken Wildpeaks in 265/70R17 (so one size up from stock). On and off road performance is amazing, absolutely no complaints in any terrain or condition. And when you account for price, you just can't beat it.

BUT. I'm starting to wonder if they don't last as long as other tires. I have 25k miles on them (w/ regular tire rotations), and I would be surprised if I get another 10k out of them. 35k miles out of tires isn't the end of the world, but maybe that's reflected in the price. I don't abuse my tires, but I definitely use my truck as a truck - commuting, road tripping, off roading (even as off road recovery truck), towing, hauling. I would buy the Wildpeaks again for sure, but I think I might try another brand out of curiosity for my own sake.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Trust the door. It is for the vehicle recommended tire pressure from what I know.
Nope, it's specific to the tire--if you select different OEM tire options, you'll get a different door pressure sticker. The tire pressure is generally based on the tire's load rating vs the actual weight of the vehicle, so if you replace with a different tire that has the same load rating then the sticker pressure will be in the same ballpark. (Take a look at the pressure chart for the hankooks, for example--the load rating is much higher than the ranger will ever need, so the recommended pressure is fairly low. But if you have a heavier truck and need the additional load capacity you need a higher pressure.) If you replace with a different tire that has a much different load rating (still meeting or exceeding the VWR) or go from P to LT you'll probably need a different pressure than the door sticker.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nope, it's specific to the tire--if you select different OEM tire options, you'll get a different door pressure sticker. The tire pressure is generally based on the tire's load rating vs the actual weight of the vehicle, so if you replace with a different tire that has the same load rating then the sticker pressure will be in the same ballpark. (Take a look at the pressure chart for the hankooks, for example--the load rating is much higher than the ranger will ever need, so the recommended pressure is fairly low. But if you have a heavier truck and need the additional load capacity you need a higher pressure.) If you replace with a different tire that has a much different load rating (still meeting or exceeding the VWR) or go from P to LT you'll probably need a different pressure than the door sticker.
Appreciate you clearing that up in a very insightful way! Hard to get answers like this that clarify everything.

I’d imagine the load capacity are the same for hankooks to falken. Looked it up, its a 1500 pound difference for the max LT, but are you carrying that load everyday to sacrifice everyday ride quality by being pressured up? If not, then you would stick to your relative daily load, less load, less pressure. More load, more pressure. I would stick with other threads if you don't carry a bunch of things, 30-35 is the sweet spot for many with various mixed off-road tires.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I’d imagine the load capacity are the same for hankooks to falken. Looked it up, its a 1500 pound difference for the max LT, but are you carrying that load to sacrifice everyday ride quality by being pressured up? If not, then you would stick to your relative daily load, less load, less pressure. More load, more pressure.
LTs are constructed differently, and generally require higher pressures. (They have thicker sidewalls that don't want to flex as much.) Most tire manufacturers have a chart where you can see the recommended pressure for different loads. Within a particular class of tire they're probably close, but there will be differences and the easiest thing to do is just check the tire manufacturer's chart.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Appreciate you clearing that up in a very insightful way! Hard to get answers like this that clarify everything.

I’d imagine the load capacity are the same for hankooks to falken. Looked it up, its a 1500 pound difference for the max LT, but are you carrying that load everyday to sacrifice everyday ride quality by being pressured up? If not, then you would stick to your relative daily load, less load, less pressure. More load, more pressure. I would stick with other threads if you don't carry a bunch of things, 30-35 is the sweet spot for many with various mixed off-road tires.
Never trust the door sticker. This would be much too high… I drove mine at 2.2 bar front and rear unloaded (u have to translate this to psi by urself :sunglasses:) and get a wear out on the inner side at the front and in the middle at the rear. So the best would be 2 .1 bar front and 2 bar rear.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Never trust the door sticker. This would be much too high… I drove mine at 2.2 bar front and rear unloaded (u have to translate this to psi by urself :sunglasses:) and get a wear out on the inner side at the front and in the middle at the rear. So the best would be 2 .1 bar front and 2 bar rear.
Way too complicated.

Simple. Get a piece of chalk and dial in the psi for your truck.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
My Coopers are being installed tomorrow
Have some time now with the Coopers.

If they perform on the snow, they will overtake the Falkans as my favorite tire.

Spent time on some trails in the WV mountins. Cant call them roads...atv trails at best. The Coopers performed flawless. Only needed to engage 4wd once on a steep, very wet, very red clay, hill.

Zero noise and great on the pavement wet or dry so far.

Off road, performed awesome.

Only remaining test in the NE Ohio snow.

Will either pass, or i will go back to Falken.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Way too complicated.

:blush: Way to what??? If u slept at ur math lesson, maybe… aunt google meant the factor would be 14.5
cheers!
btw:
:giggle: the Brexiteers count in stones now again. Less complicated in a way…

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
BFG All-Terrain KO2, Cooper AT3 4S, General Grabber ATX, Firestone Destination A/T2. I ran both the Firestones and Coopers on my old Sport Trac and they were great all around tires.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Way too complicated.

I've actually never been of the chalk method. Tires deform for differing conditions and speeds. For example, if you dial in your psi with chalk, the speed that you optimized your pressure to is whatever speed you were driving at in the parking lot.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
I've actually never been of the chalk method. Tires deform for differing conditions and speeds. For example, if you dial in your psi with chalk, the speed that you optimized your pressure to is whatever speed you were driving at in the parking lot.
Do you really think street tires deform enough to matter?
These are not top fuel tires...they dont deform that much.

Chalk is the best method we have to optimize psi. 100% better than guessing, or waiting to long to see uneven wear.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Do you really think street tires deform enough to matter?
These are not top fuel tires...they dont deform that much.

Chalk is the best method we have to optimize psi. 100% better than guessing, or waiting to long to see uneven wear.
Maybe deform wasn't the best term, perhaps deflection is better. Tires deflect to produce grip by design, and they definitely deflect more than one might assume.

When you do the chalk test, you're only optimizing for parking lot speeds at parking lot temperatures, which is why it's not my favorite method. Now, I do agree that it's better than guessing or waiting, but when there's so many other factors that don't get accounted for in a parking lot chalk test it's hard for me to "swear by it".

Admittedly, there are not many other tire tests that one can do on their own without fancy equipment, so yes, chalk tests are a great place to start. I guess my point is that chalk tests can provide good info only within certain contexts.
Sponsored