Recommended tires for a 2019 Ranger for mixed use?

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
Toyo AT3, Falken Wildpeaks, Cooper AT3 4S
I love my Falken Wildpeaks. Have about 11k on them now. Still looking great. They have a great off-road look but are only slightly noisier than the factory street tires. They take to shining up pretty well, too.
Sponsored

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Not saying that the others suggestions aren't good one, but I've had good luck with the Bridgestone Duller tires. Both their AT, and HT tires have done really well. I have the Dueller AT's on my Wrangler, and they do the job in the conditions you described. They track great, and of much importance to me they are quiet at highway speeds. I'm looking to change the factory tires on my upcoming Bronco, and the Bridgestone Dueller A/T REVO 3 are at the top of the list.

Acproxer

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Self Employed
Hi guys,

My factory-delivered Hankooks are getting low on tread, and I'm in the market for replacements.

I live in the South, but do spend a good bit of time in the NC mountains (small family cabin there), especially in the winter. At 4500 feet of elevation, it does get a good bit of snow/ice. The Hankooks did perfectly fine last year, but it was a milder winter. The few times I did hit snow/ice though, they did the job.

I do have chains if I need them, but looking for a tire which will give good performance all year around and a good value. I could just go back with the Hankooks, but think there might be better options for my situation.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Cooper Discoverers are awesome ! Plus they don’t sling the rocks like my factory General Grabbers did on my Tremor .

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Thanks! Any preference of the three, and why if you don't mind? I'm not a tire expert by any means :)
Wildpeaks, because they’re….Wildpeaks. Traction in all conditions: Exceptional. Road noise: Minimal; MPG penalty: Minimal. Wyoming Game & Fish Department uses them as a fleet tire on all their heavily-used on/off road trucks.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I can speak on Falken Wildpeaks for dry use highway only.. They perform amazingly on highway for "off-road" mixed tires. I did not notice a sound increase and they perform pretty much the same as the factory handkooks from speeds of 90mph+ which gives me confidence in their highway ability. It has not rained, nor have I gone towards the mountains for snow and I have not yet off-roaded in them since it has been quite warm out. Wish I could offer insight on these Wildpeaks for those situations. Amazing sidewall tread design though...
the Falken does a very good job in winter, too. If there is more than 4mm on of course. It also does a pretty good job on german autobahn at topspeeds!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
the Falken does a very good job in winter, too. If there is more than 4mm on of course. It also does a pretty good job on german autobahn at topspeeds!
Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to snow/winter driving. Could you illuminate my mindset perhaps why it would perform better with thicker snow?

I once drove on something close to thin icy roads and hydroplaned on my hankooks. I luckily recorrected it… as I was on a mountain side.. brand new 4x4 idiot ego got humbled real quick. Learned four wheels just gets you in double the trouble, still have to play safe in icy/snowed roads.

Agreed on the autobahn speed stability :)

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I will be going with the Falken Wildpeak AT tires when my stock Hankook tires wear out. I have used the Wildpeak AT tires on several different side Jeeps from the Liberty, Renegade, Compass and new style Cherokee. The tires did very well on any the of surface. They also handled well in heavy rain storms and snow/ice.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to snow/winter driving. Could you illuminate my mindset perhaps why it would perform better with thicker snow?

I once drove on something close to thin icy roads and hydroplaned on my hankooks. I luckily recorrected it… as I was on a mountain side.. brand new 4x4 idiot ego got humbled real quick. Learned four wheels just gets you in double the trouble, still have to play safe in icy/snowed roads.

You get better snow traction in deeper snow because the thing that gets the most traction on snow is...snow. When there's enough snow on the ground, your sips and thread get full of snow and then you get snow on snow traction when rolling around.

The problem when there's not enough snow is that you get the opposite effect. Tiny bit of snow in your tires, not enough on the pavement so you get snow on pavement contact and it's slippery.

Dedicated winter tires can get around this problem because of how soft they are, but all-terrain tires, even when winter rated, are not as soft and tend to skid on cold pavement with tiny bit of snow. Heck they can have problem braking on just cold pavement with no snow and ice.

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
I see you already bought but I'll do a +1 for Falken Wildpeaks--I had them on my Sport Trac for a couple of years and when I traded it for the Ranger. I live on 2 miles of "gravel" and they were fine--snow and mud, dry pavement. Quiet enough and never had a flat (experience: 1 or 2 a year picking up (mostly) nails or sharp rock punctures with the factory-issue Goodyears)

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
You get better snow traction in deeper snow because the thing that gets the most traction on snow is...snow. When there's enough snow on the ground, your sips and thread get full of snow and then you get snow on snow traction when rolling around.

The problem when there's not enough snow is that you get the opposite effect. Tiny bit of snow in your tires, not enough on the pavement so you get snow on pavement contact and it's slippery.

Dedicated winter tires can get around this problem because of how soft they are, but all-terrain tires, even when winter rated, are not as soft and tend to skid on cold pavement with tiny bit of snow. Heck they can have problem braking on just cold pavement with no snow and ice.

Thank you so much for giving me more knowledge on snow/ice driving. Don’t get much experience around here. Will help a lot in the future. Again, really. Thank you.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2

What I ment was u need to have 4mm profile left on the tire… sry my weak english? and if they are older then 3 years they get too hard for winter usage. But dont worry, I ripped mine down to 3mm after 18 month and 13000km… of course I drove the truck like the GTI?

but thedo is right: more snow more grip

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
What I ment was u need to have 4mm profile left on the tire… sry my weak english? and if they are older then 3 years they get too hard for winter usage. But dont worry, I ripped mine down to 3mm after 18 month and 13000km… of course I drove the truck like the GTI?

but thedo is right: more snow more grip
Thank you for extra explanation and clarification. No worries on the “weak” English. You are communicating fine. Appreciate it Gerd!!

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
All,

An update. I LOVE the Falken Wildpeaks so far.....very smooth ride and seem much grippier than the Hankooks.

I'm still riding them at the high pressure the tire shop recommended, but would like to set it appropriately as I know that will improve the ride comfort even more.

My problem is...how do I determine what to run them at?

I see websites like this (https://tirepressure.com/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-tire-pressure) but it only lists max pressure. Should I run them at the pressure listed on the inside of the drivers side door? I mean, the tire shop guy said that was really only for the factory-installed tires (Hankooks) but if that was the case, why would car manufacturers bother to print it *permanently* on the door?

Thanks in advance!

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
All,

An update. I LOVE the Falken Wildpeaks so far.....very smooth ride and seem much grippier than the Hankooks.

I'm still riding them at the high pressure the tire shop recommended, but would like to set it appropriately as I know that will improve the ride comfort even more.

My problem is...how do I determine what to run them at?

I see websites like this (https://tirepressure.com/falken-wildpeak-a-t3w-tire-pressure) but it only lists max pressure. Should I run them at the pressure listed on the inside of the drivers side door? I mean, the tire shop guy said that was really only for the factory-installed tires (Hankooks) but if that was the case, why would car manufacturers bother to print it *permanently* on the door?

Thanks in advance!
I run my 265/70/17 Wildpeaks at 30psi and I find the ride is good. Anything more and it starts getting too bumpy. Any less and mileage starts dropping more. According to a tire calculator I found (https://tirepressure.com/tire-pressure-calculator) where you input your stock tire and factory recommended PSI, it recommends I run these at 27psi, but I find that too low.
Sponsored

Last edited: