Recirc Annoyance

wagnerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
While it may well do no good, anyone know the best way to complain about this to Ford?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
you change your cabin air filter more regularly than someone who doesnt run gravel roads.
Cabin air filters are not high quality HEPA filters. A lot of small dirt and dust particles will get through. I've been driving dusty forest roads for decades. And what about wildfire pollution? We get weeks like this in the PNW.
IMG_20200914_181324.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Cabin air filters are not high quality HEPA filters. A lot of small dirt and dust particles will get through. I've been driving dusty forest roads for decades. And what about wildfire pollution? We get weeks like this in the PNW.
IMG_20200914_181324.jpg
Every car I've had in the last 20 years has turned recirc off in some way automatically. It's really not a question of convenience, it's a question of safety and liability. I posted a solution above, I doubt anyone cares enough to actually implement it.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
get a better filter
you can google that shit
Yup, see my above posts please. Better filters are not hepa. They will not trap much more than the cheap paper OEM filters.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
i honestly dont think anything will make you happy.
you're doing the doomsday comparisons. forest fires dont blanket the PNW every year. I'm in vancouver. buy the highest filtration filter you can find, change it in may and july. live with it like 99.9% of the population does.
I really dont even know how to discuss this with you on this anymore. cancel your ranger order and find another vehicle that does endless recirculation...if you can find one???

just buy this I guess and put it in your backseat. peace out.

https://airocide.com/pages/nasa#owl-quote-4
Holy crap man. Is your goal to be an @ssh0le?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Yup, see my above posts please. Better filters are not hepa. They will not trap much more than the cheap paper OEM filters.
My understanding was the HEPA filters do trap way more, specifically fine particles that cheap paper filters will not.

Do others have more info on whether the vehicle's circulation system can handle the higher backpressure of a HEPA filter?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
My understanding was the HEPA filters do trap way more, specifically fine particles that cheap paper filters will not.

Do others have more info on whether the vehicle's circulation system can handle the higher backpressure of a HEPA filter?
Honestly you don't have anything to worry about by running a HEPA filter in a car. The system is no where near sensitive enough to suffer any negative impact from doing so. I have run this type of filter in my vehicles for years and they do an amazing job and have never had an issue with them. The one linked will fit perfectly in the Ranger.

wagnerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Honestly you don't have anything to worry about by running a HEPA filter in a car. The system is no where near sensitive enough to suffer any negative impact from doing so. I have run this type of filter in my vehicles for years and they do an amazing job and have never had an issue with them. The one linked will fit perfectly in the Ranger.
I found one compatible with Ranger 2019 on amazon of this style.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I8ISKDA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took all of 5 minutes to install after finding a short YouTube video on the process.

Haven't had it out in the stink yet, so unsure how much it may help, but it was noticeably more substantial than the stock one I took out.

BTW, the stock one seemed to of the "carbon activated" ilk too - just not as beefy as the replacement I got from Amazon.

PinitWinit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Advisor
While I only have 600 miles on my ranger so far, I havent had it turn the recirc off yet. Longest drive so far has been just shy of an hour and it stayed in recirc the whole time. AC set to auto @68*, outside temp in the upper 80s. Im guessing because its not humid in the cab? One thing I do wish it would do, is remember that when I shut the truck off, recirc was on, so turn it back on when I get in.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Has anyone found a simple solution yet to keeping recirc on?

Adding an air filter into the car did not work; see my thread here.
Also, even climate is set to max A/C, recirc turns off.

P.S. I'm curious if anyone's added a manual override switch to the vent door, and if that's done, would it cause the vehicle to detect an error.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Has anyone found a simple solution yet to keeping recirc on?

Adding an air filter into the car did not work; see my thread here.
Also, even climate is set to max A/C, recirc turns off.

P.S. I'm curious if anyone's added a manual override switch to the vent door, and if that's done, would it cause the vehicle to detect an error.

From what I can see is that the fresh/recirculate setting is dependent on HVAC mode and temperature variance. Mine will stay on recirculate provided it is on Max AC or off Auto mode as long as the set temperature is cooler than ambient. If turning the system to defrost it hard locks to fresh air. If not on Auto and the set temp is lower than ambient it stays on recirculate. Now if I turn the set temp up to 5 or more degrees warmer than ambient it will flip to fresh air after about 10 minutes.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
It's odd, because mine seems to flip to outside air, regardless of whether or not the temp (including on Max A/C) is colder than ambient.

Does anyone know how to access/remove the recirculation blend/damper door?
I looked in the service manual, but am unable to find it.

If nobody else has any ideas, I might have to be the first one to try something definitive.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Think Ford did this for mitigating the possibility of Carbon Monoxide poising. By allowing fresh air into the system the possibility of this happening is pretty remote. My guess is someone sued for dying this way and they forevermore changed the way the system operates
Sponsored