First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger STX Supercab 4X4, 3" lift
Occupation
Engineer
When you select recirc it only stays on for five minutes, then shuts off. I’m a big boy now, I don’t need Ford deciding I can only breathe five minutes of air free of the filth of diesels and outside odors.

Must have been designed by someone that’s never actually spent time driving!

Yes, it does this on all modes; AC, heat, Max AC.

Anyone know the Forscan address and value to fix this?!
Sponsored

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Havne't noticed that on mine? But then I hardly use the recirc.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Havne't noticed that on mine? But then I hardly use the recirc.
Hi Jay,

Driving up I10 through the Pima Cotton fields when the wind is blowing dust so thick you can barely see over the hood..You use recalculation. I am disappointed to learn this is only for a few minutes. What is going on here? I do know that older vehicles in recirc mode would freezes up the evaporator given enough time. Maybe the case with the Ranger too?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
Hi Jay,

Driving up I10 through the Pima Cotton fields when the wind is blowing dust so thick you can barely see over the hood..You use recalculation. I am disappointed to learn this is only for a few minutes. What is going on here? I do know that older vehicles in recirc mode would freezes up the evaporator given enough time. Maybe the case with the Ranger too?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I've used it to cool the cab down quickly, and then passing one of the oil refinery on our way up to the cities from Rochester.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
When you select recirc it only stays on for five minutes, then shuts off. I’m a big boy now, I don’t need Ford deciding I can only breathe five minutes of air free of the filth of diesels and outside odors.

Must have been designed by someone that’s never actually spent time driving!

Yes, it does this on all modes; AC, heat, Max AC.

Anyone know the Forscan address and value to fix this?!
This annoys us too. We really like our Ranger... but the entire HVAC system, from the controls to things like this where the truck knows better than the driver, leaves a lot to be desired.

2019 Ranger Owners Manual Page 112 - HVAC Recirculation.jpg

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I turned mine on this AM for maybe 10 minutes, I eventually turned it off manually because I couldn't see anything. Defroster automatically turned it off too.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I've noticed on my manual control system, when I start the truck up, it runs in Recirc right away, and I know the last time it was not on... I've driven 20 so minutes and still hasn't gone out of Recirc till I turned it off.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine did this a few times when I first got it. Then it just randomly started staying on what ever mode I set it both from the previous drive and if I change it during the current one.

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1969 ProStreet Mustang, 94 Lightning, 2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
OP - I have been back and forth with 3 local dealers on this. 3 different answers. One suggested that if you do not use automatic, it will stay on recirc which is incorrect. All of them cite humidity sensors which also does not make sense when it is not humid. Like you, I do not want or need the OEM to do this for me.

Honestly, this and the auto-start/stop coupled with the sync location message has annoyed me to the point where I will never buy a newer car without knowing about these features upfront.

My commute includes a long stretch where a landfill is and often get stuck with multiple refuse trucks on the route both ways. Mine turns off between 5:20 to 5:38 of operation regardless. Even turning the system off induces outside air. Also, redneckville is also in my commute and it is the coolest thing ever to roll smoke. Not knocking diesel mods, just the ones that do it on purpose. I have owned nothing but 7.3 F-250s and F-350s until this truck (94 lightning does not count) so I get it. I just want to not ingest it if I choose not to. There are literally only two main highways leading to a single bridge to work so alternate roads to avoid a few minutes every day of rancid, hot garbage and dino-fuel is a bit much.

I got the dealer to print out the schematic and system info from Ford and I was actually shocked a humidity sensor was actually installed. I only bring this up because I was trying to find a way to disconnect a sensor that would force the system to remain in recirc.

Never owned a car that does not force recirc in max A/C or some with defrost. I tried to trick the system with no luck.

If anyone figures out a way to keep it in recirc I'm interested.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP - I have been back and forth with 3 local dealers on this. 3 different answers. One suggested that if you do not use automatic, it will stay on recirc which is incorrect. All of them cite humidity sensors which also does not make sense when it is not humid. Like you, I do not want or need the OEM to do this for me.

Honestly, this and the auto-start/stop coupled with the sync location message has annoyed me to the point where I will never buy a newer car without knowing about these features upfront.

My commute includes a long stretch where a landfill is and often get stuck with multiple refuse trucks on the route both ways. Mine turns off between 5:20 to 5:38 of operation regardless. Even turning the system off induces outside air. Also, redneckville is also in my commute and it is the coolest thing ever to roll smoke. Not knocking diesel mods, just the ones that do it on purpose. I have owned nothing but 7.3 F-250s and F-350s until this truck (94 lightning does not count) so I get it. I just want to not ingest it if I choose not to. There are literally only two main highways leading to a single bridge to work so alternate roads to avoid a few minutes every day of rancid, hot garbage and dino-fuel is a bit much.

I got the dealer to print out the schematic and system info from Ford and I was actually shocked a humidity sensor was actually installed. I only bring this up because I was trying to find a way to disconnect a sensor that would force the system to remain in recirc.

Never owned a car that does not force recirc in max A/C or some with defrost. I tried to trick the system with no luck.

If anyone figures out a way to keep it in recirc I'm interested.

If you know where it is, you can work with that... You need someone to measure the resistance or microvolts (depending on sensor type) and then build a device that mimics that value perpetually. Then you remove the humidity sensor and replace it with that device. BAM, problem solved.

A device that mimics that will be super easy if it's a resistance based device. for one with a mv output you might have to get creative. In the event it's a MV circuit, you may just be able to find a sensor that triggers at a higher humidity, or if you get really lucky just removing it from the loop entirely (via a switch) will disable it entirely with no ill effect.

-Chance

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This damned thing is really starting to piss me off. As I turn the temperature up on the climate control, the system decides that it will only allow it to stay on recirculate for 5-7 minutes before flipping back to fresh air. Why Ford decided that this how the system should operate is beyond me...

I may go poking around in Forscan to see if there's a setting in there that will disable this.

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1969 ProStreet Mustang, 94 Lightning, 2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
If you know where it is, you can work with that... -Chance
That is what I was thinking. Not enough bandwidth to dig into that right now. Good thing is I'm hardly driving it now so less opportunity to irritate me.

wagnerone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
This! I found and joined this forum so I could see what is up with this topic.

I hate it so much and am dismayed to read there is no solution for it yet.

I live in an urban area and am constantly driving around foul smelling places.

By the time you know you're near one the cab is already reeking of whatever it is. Pisses me off every time.

I believe I read in the manual you can avoid the outside air coming back on automatically, but to do so you have to turn off auto climate control, which defeats one of the big advantages of having a nice vehicle.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
What do people do when driving on dirt roads for longer than 5 minutes?

This is nuts. I don't have my Ranger yet and am annoyed. I use recirculate 100% on dirt roads, and for the month or so in late summer when the west coast is smokey from wildfires.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do people do when driving on dirt roads for longer than 5 minutes?

This is nuts. I don't have my Ranger yet and am annoyed. I use recirculate 100% on dirt roads, and for the month or so in late summer when the west coast is smokey from wildfires.
Never be behind anyone and you don't have this problem. We also have a cabin filter that catches most of the dirt road dirt.

Been living on dirt roads my whole life, never once worried about it. Windows down and all.
Sponsored