Reasonable Amount of Time to Wait for Order

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
I was provided an email from the plant to my dealership indicating it was a steering wheel supply disruption which was causing my truck from progressing in the build/delivery process.
There are a couple of us who have been in production since 2/7. It did move to the body shop for a day which would normally be the spray in bed liner, but that was almost two weeks ago.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I was provided an email from the plant to my dealership indicating it was a steering wheel supply disruption which was causing my truck from progressing in the build/delivery process.
That just seems really weird to me. Every single truck needs a steering wheel, so if they were having supply problems I don't know how they could be building trucks. Unless every single steering wheel they can get their hands on is going on a truck on the line. To me if sounds like an excuse, not the real issue. But I'm armchair quarterbacking it so.....

I hope your holdup clears soon - I would be really frustrated if I were in your shoes. I was looking for builds at other dealers that match mine and ended up finding an exact match (other than mud flaps and floor mats) about 400 miles away. Made me think twice about trying to finagle that truck. But since mine is now built and awaiting transport, I'm going to hold tight and wait it out.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
There are different steering wheels. My problem is the flooding of the midwest. It is still sitting in the snow in MI awaiting for a train ride. :frown:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
There are different steering wheels. My problem is the flooding of the midwest. It is still sitting in the snow in MI awaiting for a train ride. :frown:
No need to give Ford any more excuses, they already have hundreds and more in reserve.
Ironically Jim Hackett claims that "Ford is committed to becoming the world’s most trusted company."
Ford has been just that for decades before his tenure. Now?... not so much.:(
Buyers should have priority over dealer stock... a promise made and obviously NOT being honored.
I think I will frame my ROVP approval as a reminder.

I am a long time Ford loyalist who now feels abandoned by misguided bean counters who no longer care about such things.
Has Ford simply become what Will Rogers said about newspapers?
"Mostly ads, and the rest "lies" between the ads."

This purchase experience may fade over time once my new Ranger is eventually delivered and proves to exceed my expectations, but it will leave scars.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
They could save alot of delay, problems, complaints, by letting people pu their vehicles in Wayne. Knock off the shipping charge and I will gladly fly to Detroit and drive it home.

Pflip

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Corvette 19 Ranger Lariat
You can eliminate snow as a factor, there isn't any and hasn't been for a couple of weeks now. temps have been high 30's to mid 50's recently. Not to say that won't change [ It is Michigan after all ] but we have stored our snow shovels at least in the lower counties anyway.

as a side note, The airport. DTW is pretty darn close to the plant. just a few miles.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
That just seems really weird to me. Every single truck needs a steering wheel, so if they were having supply problems I don't know how they could be building trucks. Unless every single steering wheel they can get their hands on is going on a truck on the line. To me if sounds like an excuse, not the real issue. But I'm armchair quarterbacking it so.....

I hope your holdup clears soon - I would be really frustrated if I were in your shoes. I was looking for builds at other dealers that match mine and ended up finding an exact match (other than mud flaps and floor mats) about 400 miles away. Made me think twice about trying to finagle that truck. But since mine is now built and awaiting transport, I'm going to hold tight and wait it out.
I have looked at local inventory and have considered other makes and models. I’m gonna see how the dealership handles a politely pushy customer a little longer before I pound sand.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have looked at local inventory and have considered other makes and models. I’m gonna see how the dealership handles a politely pushy customer a little longer before I pound sand.
If you haven't seen it, you can use this link:

https://shop.ford.com/inventory/ran...ger_F14-LARIAT&rapidSpecs=501A&Order=Distance

Changing the zip code and options, etc - you can even change the "radius" parameter in the URL to expand your search beyond 100 miles. If you find something you like, a local dealer should be able to make some sort of trade to get that vehicle.

Just another option to consider.

OP
OP

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Today the order tracker “updated” at an odd time. Normally, the daily updates occurs at 5 PM PST. Today’s updated added more days, now 18, and reduced the delivery date to MARCH 3RD! Come on Ford. I deserve better than this. Turning the tracker off is preferred to getting bad info.

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
For those waiting like me, does your window sticker specify rail or convoy as the shipping method? Mine is rail and both Ford and Chev inorder to cut costs have switched to rail, but there are not enough rail cars to ship everything they are building. They have thousands of vehicles at plants waiting for rail cars when transport trucks are available. This is from a transport truck driver. My truck will be shipped by rail, to the yard next to the plant that builds the Colorado.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
For those waiting like me, does your window sticker specify rail or convoy as the shipping method? Mine is rail and both Ford and Chev inorder to cut costs have switched to rail, but there are not enough rail cars to ship everything they are building. They have thousands of vehicles at plants waiting for rail cars when transport trucks are available. This is from a transport truck driver. My truck will be shipped by rail, to the yard next to the plant that builds the Colorado.
Mine says convoy, but there was also talk of them being a convoy for part of the trip and by rail for part of the trip - so I don't know what to think. Oregon is a long ways from Michigan, so I'd assume it would be rail at least part of the way.
Sponsored