Rear USB ports. Power only or power and data?

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Reason I ask is that I'd like to add (or move) a USB port for an old school 80gb iPod that'll live inside the center console. Did a similar mod on my previous '14 Accord and loved it. It keeps things away from prying eyes (although not sure who would actually want this anymore) and contains the clutter.

For reference, something like this: https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/better-setup-for-ipod-mp3-connectivity.78887/post-2589250

Did some searching but the only similar thing I could find was @Floyd's mod here: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/in-console-usb-power.3220/post-42821
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Be aware that old school iPods are not supported with the current Sync entertainment system (and most other newer vehicle entertainment systems also). My suggestion (what I did) is copy all the iPod music to a USB drive and use that with the stereo.

To answer your question, the rear ports are power only.

OP
OP
Frio

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Be aware that old school iPods are not supported with the current Sync entertainment system (and most other newer vehicle entertainment systems also). My suggestion (what I did) is copy all the iPod music to a USB drive and use that with the stereo.

To answer your question, the rear ports are power only.
Oh well, disappointing but will pick up another tiny 64 or 128gb SanDisk. Amazing how small (and cheap) they've gotten. Can I assume the front USB's connect to Sync3 with data or is there a USB for audio somewhere else? I don't actually have the truck yet so have no clue.

Guess it's time to finally retire that thing.

Many thanks!

CashSeeAO

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Semi-retired engineer
The front ports connect to Sync 3 behind the display. They support data (Android Auto, music flash drive, etc). They also do a pretty good job at charging our phones too.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Oh well, disappointing but will pick up another tiny 64 or 128gb SanDisk. Amazing how small (and cheap) they've gotten. Can I assume the front USB's connect to Sync3 with data or is there a USB for audio somewhere else? I don't actually have the truck yet so have no clue.

Guess it's time to finally retire that thing.

Many thanks!
Front console cubby USB port(s) are the only ones that connect with Sync 3.

OP
OP
Frio

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Thanks guys. Guess I'll stick the tiny drive in the one of the front ports and just leave it there. Then possibly replace one of the 12v outlets with a double USB port for passenger charging,

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A cable from the back seat USB ports works great for passengers. It's not that far, and with the rear ports my passengers don't get spammed with Carplay/usb audio/all that stuff.

OP
OP
Frio

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
A cable from the back seat USB ports works great for passengers. It's not that far, and with the rear ports my passengers don't get spammed with Carplay/usb audio/all that stuff.
Good point, didn't think of that.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
This is what we do. The front ports have a USB drive and my Android phone. The rear port has a charging cable for my wife's iPhone. There is very little difference in length. This also prevents the Sync system from being confused with both an Android and iPhone plugged in. We do the same setup in our Subaru Crosstrek, except the iPhone get the stereo and my Android gets the power one rear ports.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I just use a cigarette lighter adapter for the passenger, which supports fast charging unlike the built-in ports
Sponsored