Rear Slider Latch

djskit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hauling some 12 foot lumber through my cab I managed to knock off my rear slider latch. Any advice on repairing or replacing? Looks like a foam double stick tape affair that failed. Will post pics later if needed.
Sponsored

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab FX4
Hauling some 12 foot lumber through my cab I managed to knock off my rear slider latch. Any advice on repairing or replacing? Looks like a foam double stick tape affair that failed. Will post pics later if needed.

I am also curious about this....I have a rear slider on my super cab and I just closed my window and the latch fell completely off ...but in my case the internals have broken in half as the screws are still screwed into what is left of the latch.

I couldn't find a part# for the latch alone so I hope it isn't down to a total window replacement...but thankfully warranty is still intact for a short while yet...what a pain in the rear

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Will inquire with this member.

Appreciate it!

Shaun

Contacted local Ford dealer...confirmed part in question is a non serviceable part and will require a new back glass panel...lucky for warranty remaining.....

I'd say a poor design where a couple bucks of plastic dictates replacement of entire back window....will need to research backup plans if piece breaks again out of warranty

Photos are attached of broken piece

PXL_20211012_091546139.jpg

PXL_20211012_091441388.jpg

PXL_20211012_091432827.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Pretty sure from reading other threads that rear glass is hard to find. Has your dealer located the part yet?

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure from reading other threads that rear glass is hard to find. Has your dealer located the part yet?

Negative....I have filed my claim to be covered by warranty as I am close to being out of warranty ...but I am still waiting on dealer to reach back out to me with details on ETA and availability.

The dealer works (contracts out) with a 3rd party glass dealer so maybe it's through their network potentially....but yes either way I'm sure there is a supply issue like most everything else in the world these days.

Lucky for me the window(glass) isn't broken and still can be closed shut to not allow elements inside ...however it just cannot now be locked and has to be left unsecured for now.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Negative....I have filed my claim to be covered by warranty as I am close to being out of warranty ...but I am still waiting on dealer to reach back out to me with details on ETA and availability.

The dealer works (contracts out) with a 3rd party glass dealer so maybe it's through their network potentially....but yes either way I'm sure there is a supply issue like most everything else in the world these days.

Lucky for me the window(glass) isn't broken and still can be closed shut to not allow elements inside ...however it just cannot now be locked and has to be left unsecured for now.
Gotcha.

You might want to try a dowel or something on the other side to secure it while waiting. Similar to a sliding glass door w/ a broom handle in it.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
I would 100% two-part epoxy that part back in its original position. It does not move, only provides a stationary latch point. The screws were for factory installation but a good epoxy would be just as good. At least till the part/window arrives..

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha.

You might want to try a dowel or something on the other side to secure it while waiting. Similar to a sliding glass door w/ a broom handle in it.
Yeah for sure..I've been looking over the parts in my hands to see what if anything I can do in the future to make some sort of fix for this should (probably) it happen again.

It's such a weird design as the catch literally has screws in it to be removed off the mounting base plate....but for whatever reason it's not a part in the dealers catalog to be ordered.

I would have to believe the plastic base (mount) is glued (possibly epoxied) to the glass itself and then this latch is affixed to that mounting plate and screwed secured. There is no other way I see this plastic mount secured to the glass...it's not fused into the glass itself.

If a 3rd party glass guy does the work...I'd be curious on his thoughts

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Might try contacting a truck cap dealer and ask if they have any cap front slider window replacement latches and see if one might work.
We manufacture truck caps and used to keep some on hand. Haven't tried to order any lately though.

Edited to add: Did a Google search and found some for sale. Possibly could glue on instead of screw in.
Cap Front Slider Window Latch Replacement

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
You could ask about a non-slider replacement window availability for now.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might try contacting a truck cap dealer and ask if they have any cap front slider window replacement latches and see if one might work.
We manufacture truck caps and used to keep some on hand. Haven't tried to order any lately though.

Edited to add: Did a Google search and found some for sale. Possibly could glue on instead of screw in.
Cap Front Slider Window Latch Replacement

Yes it's definitely one avenue to look into for sure. Now that I know what I know...I wonder since the piece (mounting plate) is non serviceable anyways what would stop someone from removing the screws from the latch and possibly filling the cavity of the latch with something that would reinforce it so that there would be more material then just the areas where the screws are the items holding it all together.

I'd have to look into some options or someone that has a really good experience with glue/epoxy for abs plastics because I have no doubt this piece could go back on as is...it's literally a clean break.

MagneticRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the window(glass) was literally broken I'd probably have no option but to go that route...but I can make do for now as it still closes and seals somewhat. Luckily the window isn't like my old '93 Chev K2500 where a human can squeeze inside the open slider....this little one doesn't make much room to access anything anyways.

Being a supercab I love be able to reach back with my hand to open the window....if it was a crew cab...solid rear panel no questions asked for sure!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

When mine was in for a leak repair, it took Ford just over month to get the replacement glass (with slider) to the dealer. This is also with an open case with Ford customer care on the matter only to have the tint guy snap off one the defroster tabs during install. So the dealer had to order a new window and have been waiting for three weeks now for the second replacement to come in to get the defrost working. I inquired to the dealer about going with a non-slider window instead when they had it for the leak fix and they said that Ford refused and would not allow the non-slider window to be installed on a vehicle originally equipped with the slider under warranty that it would cause a conflict with the VIN configuration. The dealer also stated that even if Ford would allow the non-slider glass to be installed it wouldn't help since they are also on back order.
Sponsored

Last edited: