First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Project manager
I was watching this vid about changing the ranger rear diff fluid(good self maintenance ranger channel) and noticed one of the comments said they do not have a drain plug on their 22 ranger rear diff. I checked my 21 Tremor and I do have one. Wondering if anyone with a 22 can confirm. Maybe another item for the deleted thread!
Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
Dana is getting rid of some of the drain plugs. My jeep does not have a front drain plug. The cover gasket is a rubberized steel, reusable gasket. People who off-road were absolutely buggering the drain bolt threads on obstacles so maybe that's why they were eliminated.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Build date on my Tremor is 3/21. Another deleted item…. Here is a pic of my drain plug.
63F0F3BC-DBEB-440C-97E1-6C2CB7E83DDC.jpeg

Last edited:

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Dana is getting rid of some of the drain plugs. My jeep does not have a front drain plug. The cover gasket is a rubberized steel, reusable gasket. People who off-road were absolutely buggering the drain bolt threads on obstacles so maybe that's why they were eliminated.
My Gladiator's drainplugs were pretty mangled, so I'm all for it.

The Wayalife YT channel destroyed his.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
My Gladiator's drainplugs were pretty mangled, so I'm all for it.

The Wayalife YT channel destroyed his.
Same, it doesn't bother me there isn't one on the front. It's still an easy service item to DIY.

GearHd6

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Pull the cover on a diff with some miles and you'll realize that pulling the cover is way better than just a drain plug. There's usually a good buildup on the bottom that should get cleaned up with a rag and brake clean.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Pull the cover on a diff with some miles and you'll realize that pulling the cover is way better than just a drain plug. There's usually a good buildup on the bottom that should get cleaned up with a rag and brake clean.
My old FJ40 has a magnet in the drain plug and is so old that they didn't have multi-use gaskets in those days (well, not for mass produced cars). That magnet always has some metal shavings on it.
So the move to remove the entire cover and clean it is excellent and a suggestion that I'll use - thanks GearHd6!

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
100% I hit everything with brake clean and I inspect the wear pattern.

OP
OP
JalanX

JalanX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project manager
Hear that about removing whole cover, makes sense. But for an early/easy drain and fill i like the plug. I think the ranger drain plug is in an area that won’t get mangled. But mid 21 and newer just don’t have that choice stock.