Rear diff covers now available

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Ford Perfmance clearly thinks heat isn't a problem enough to need aluminum, and opted for the immensely higher strength of cast iron.
Ford Performance https://performanceparts.ford.com/vehicles/Ranger doesnt seem to list a rear diff cover for the Ranger.

I did find it listed here https://www.mountuneusa.com/Ranger-Ford-Performance-Differential-Cover-Kit-p/m-4033-r.htm

Even cast iron it looks like a sturdy welcome improvement over the stock stamped steel rear diff cover.
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry buddy aluminum is often times stronger than cast iron and has a higher tensile strength, even cast aluminum, and can also take impacts better. Cast iron is notoriously brittle. Whether Ford performance's is cast that I don't know.
Technically incorrect.

Cast iron has a much higher elastic strength than aluminum, which is exactly what you want for protection in a diff cover for hitting boulders to protect against denting in and hitting the gears, or reinforcing the diff housing itself.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Technically incorrect.

Cast iron has a much higher elastic strength than aluminum, which is exactly what you want for protection in a diff cover for hitting boulders to protect against denting in and hitting the gears, or reinforcing the diff housing itself.
Everyone has their opinions I guess. I'm not an expert on metallurgy but I do know that aluminum can take impacts better than cast iron especially billet/forged.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I thought the BANKS video on aftermarket "Flat back" covers vs OEM shaped covers was rather insightful and worth watching before running off and buying a diff cover.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 2.1 - Inside the STOCK cover:

Part 2.2 - Inside the Flat Back cover:

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
In other news - what's up a lot of trucks not having a drain plug on the pumpkins? Can that trend die soon please!?

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
In other news - what's up a lot of trucks not having a drain plug on the pumpkins? Can that trend die soon please!?
I believe the differential housing itself has the drain plug threaded into it

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Problem with the Ford Performance one is that it's cast iron.
Are you certain that these covers are cast iron? Cast-aluminum is a much wiser choice in this application because of it's vastly better ability to dissipate heat (as you mentioned) but it's also heavy, I sure would not want to add more unsprung weight to any suspension. It's also brittle, well, like peanut brittle.

Cast iron is the material of choice for frying pans, it's heat distribution (and retention) makes it outstanding for deep frying, just ask the lady in your life. It was used many years for automobile engine blocks and heads, not so much anymore primarily because of its weight.

True, even lube distribution within the differential housing is important, but I'd more concerned with the semi-floating axle bearing design on this 3rd. member, especially if you carry heavy loads. The machined surface of the axles ride directly against the bearing's tapered rollers, the axle itself is acting as a bearing race.

I've replaced a few axles featuring this Mickey-Mouse design in my career as a mechanic. If you want to talk about differentials, ask me about the famed Ford 9 inch, a design that was much stouter than it needed to be...

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Are you certain that these covers are cast iron? Cast-aluminum is a much wiser choice in this application because of it's vastly better ability to dissipate heat (as you mentioned) but it's also heavy, I sure would not want to add more unsprung weight to any suspension. It's also brittle, well, like peanut brittle.

Cast iron is the material of choice for frying pans, it's heat distribution (and retention) makes it outstanding for deep frying, just ask the lady in your life. It was used many years for automobile engine blocks and heads, not so much anymore primarily because of its weight.

True, even lube distribution within the differential housing is important, but I'd more concerned with the semi-floating axle bearing design on this 3rd. member, especially if you carry heavy loads. The machined surface of the axles ride directly against the bearing's tapered rollers, the axle itself is acting as a bearing race.

I've replaced a few axles featuring this Mickey-Mouse design in my career as a mechanic. If you want to talk about differentials, ask me about the famed Ford 9 inch, a design that was much stouter than it needed to be...
I'm positive it's cast iron. However, I most certainly agree aluminum is a better choice like I said before as it's better for heat and it takes impacts better. The Ford 9-inch is a beast.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
im positive it's cast iron however, I most certainly agree aluminum is a better choice like I said before as it's better for heat and it takes impacts better. The Ford 9-inch is a beast.
Do you have a Ford Performance part number for this cover?

Agreed, the 9 inch was an outstanding design, would you believe Ford installed it on certain Pinto's? Of course, it was a scaled-down version but the same basic design, talk about overkill.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Do you have a Ford Performance part number for this cover?

Agreed, the 9 inch was an outstanding design, would you believe Ford installed it on certain Pinto's? Of course, it was a scaled-down version but the same basic design, talk about overkill.
ya didn't they come in the 4 cyl Mustang's too? The Ranger Ford Performance diff part number is M-4033-R

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
actually now that I think of it I think the 4 cyl Mustangs had the 7.5

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Mustang II (what a POS that thing was) was basically a Pinto, so yes, Ford may have installed that rear end in them if it had the V6 or 302, probably not if it had a 4 banger. Pinto's (and Mercury Bobcats) equipped with the 2.8 V6 came with the 9 inch like design.

Ford did some weird things back then, even more so now.

In addition to the 9 inch, the Ford 4-speed top loader trans. was a bullet-proof design as well.

Thanks for the part number, bud.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The Mustang II (what a POS that thing was) was basically a Pinto, so yes, Ford may have installed that rear end in them if it had the V6 or 302, probably not if it had a 4 banger. Pinto's (and Mercury Bobcats) equipped with the 2.8 V6 came with the 9 inch like design.

Ford did some weird things back then, even more so now.

In addition to the 9 inch, the Ford 4-speed top loader trans. was a bullet-proof design as well.

Thanks for the part number, bud.
was that the 4-speed in the trucks? I had a few trucks with the 4-speed manual what a beast of a transmission If i remember right I think first and reverse were straight cut gears and whined like hell. Doing a whole 2 miles per hour at 3000 rpms lol

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You are absolutely correct John, that cover is cast iron, why I haven't a clue. For $271, though one would think it be cast from some sort of material only NASA knows about.

Ditto with the straight cut gears, sounded like you were running a gear drive small-block Chevy, till you shifted to second...lol
Sponsored