First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
One of the Lariats I looked at yesterday had an issue with the bed. It was pretty obvious just looking at the gap between the bed and rear window. I then showed the sales guy that I could fit both hands together between the bed and driver's side cab. On the passenger side, I could barely fit one hand. The truck was brand new.
What did the sales guy say? I'm betting he just shrugged his shoulders.
Sponsored

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Believing, and facts. 2 useful items, hardly interchangeable.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

Why settle for smart, when folks are here to make you wise?
Iā€™m just saying you couldā€™ve phrased your response to him in a much nicer way lol to each their own I suppose

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
What did the sales guy say? I'm betting he just shrugged his shoulders.
He said he'd look into it. Not that I'm going to ever find out if he does, or not. I'm guessing they're just hoping no one else notices.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
HenryMac is feeling sassy this morning. ā€œUhm, no, not reallyā€ why the attitude lol itā€™s plenty reasonable to believe a new truck wouldnā€™t be in an accident
Yeah it happens allllll the time. Why it happened to me just 36 years ago see what I mean! ?

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
One of the Lariats I looked at yesterday had an issue with the bed. It was pretty obvious just looking at the gap between the bed and rear window. I then showed the sales guy that I could fit both hands together between the bed and driver's side cab. On the passenger side, I could barely fit one hand. The truck was brand new.
Yep. My 2020 sits weird to the eye because the bed has a gradual tweak from front to back. If you look at it from the side you can see that the tops don't line up and if you look at it from the back the top of the tailgate is closer to the window line on one side than it is on the other. If it's parked on level ground you can see the misalignment from 50 feet away. Quality is Job One, indeed.

OP
OP
jubreunig

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Juergen,

The axle has slots into which the center bolts drop. The key here is that you had a spring replaced and likely someone misaligned the center bolt and it not in the slot in the rear axle spring seat. It is called a spring seat for a reason. You need a shop that can loosen and lift the chassis off the rear axle and recenter both center bolts. Sorry you are having the problem, but the key here is the dealer fixing the lean...they did something wrong. A relative easy fix once the chassis and springs are lifted off the rear axle. Not the first time I have experienced this, but exceeding rare...

Good Luck!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engnineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
If I understood you right, you mean there are different slots in the axle. This is a picture from our rear axle (not mine but from a 2019 Ranger).
Ranger rear axle.png

There is only one center hole.
The last time as I had loosened the leafs from axle, it looks all good, I tried to forced it in the right direction, but as soon as I tight the screws it will move to the old position. If I get the possibility for a hydraulic ramp, I will do some measurements from the axle slot as well, maybe I can figure out what is out of alignment.

OP
OP
jubreunig

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
show us some pics of the spring/axle connection point.
perhaps it will be obvious in the picture if some assembly issues are there
Can there be really assembly issues with a one leaf spring and a center bolt?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can there be really assembly issues with a one leaf spring and a center bolt?
Hi Juergen,

if the axle is not in the correct position, it is possible..not likely but something to check and verify.

Viscerol

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Mortician
Yep. My 2020 sits weird to the eye because the bed has a gradual tweak from front to back. If you look at it from the side you can see that the tops don't line up and if you look at it from the back the top of the tailgate is closer to the window line on one side than it is on the other. If it's parked on level ground you can see the misalignment from 50 feet away. Quality is Job One, indeed.
My 2020 sits 3/8ā€ low on the left rear and 1/4ā€ low on the left front.
You cannot tell the front, but the rear, if it sitting on any pavement not level, reveals a lean.
There is a 1/4ā€ shim already installed on the left leaf. Iā€™m thinking of either replacing the 1/4ā€ shim with a 1/2ā€ or similar to bring it closer. If this doesnā€™t work, I may replace with new leafs. This is my daily and honestly Iā€™m not willing to let Ford hold into my truck for weeks on end only to tell me itā€™s ā€œwithin marginsā€ because I know it is.

Does anyone know if replacing the leafs will correct this lean? I know there is a long thread about this bit I donā€™t think itā€™s ever been resolved. Sorry for the hijack.

OP
OP
jubreunig

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Uhm, no, not really. I ordered a new '85 S-15. When it arrived at the dealership the drivers side of the bed had been repainted. The truck had polishing compound splattered all over the rear of the cab.

Shippers often damage vehicles, fix them, and then deliver them to the dealership.

@THLONE 's idea is a good one. take it to a collision shop and have them check it out.

How are the gaps around the bed where it meets the cab? Consistent, side to side?

Seriously though... variations like this aren't that unusual. Ford was shipping Rangers for months that weren't level, they then installed 1/2" shims in the spring pack on one side to level them out.
The gaps between cab and bed are almost the same, difference is just 2mm. But If I would align the bed, than it would be more worst than it is now.

It seems the leafs are directly under the frame. I measured from the frame down to the leaf spring with a metal ruler. the left side is missing -2mm to get aligned, the right side is +1mm outside of the frame. I think that is a usual manufacturing tolerance

Ranger left spring.JPG
Ranger right spring.JPG

Last edited:

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
The gaps between cab and bed are almost the same, difference is just 2mm. But If I would align the bed, than it would be more worst than it is now.

It seems the leafs are directly under the frame. I measured from the frame down to the leaf spring with a metal ruler. the left side is missing -2mm to get aligned, the right side is +1mm outside of the frame. I think that is a usual manufacturing tolerance

Ranger left spring.JPG
Ranger right spring.JPG
Iā€˜m no mechanic, but those u-bolts have me worried. Iā€™ve installed some rear suspension upgrades on my Ford Raptor and my new Ford Ranger (bump stops, lift blocks, and leaf springs). I believe those bolts should all show about the same number of threads below the nut. In these pics, both sides are way off with number of exposed threads.

Maybe you were still in the process of trying to move the axle? If not, they definitely need attention.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ė‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I have a problem with the center of my rear axle. The right tire sticks way more out than the left one. It's about a 1/2inch difference. I checked the alignment of the bed compared to the cab and the gap between cab and bed and it's almost fine. If i would move the bed to get the same gap, the right rear would stick out much more than now.
I had already loosened the U-bolts and had hope that it was just a tension, but the same.

What can I do to fix this?
left rear.JPG
right rear.JPG
there is nothing to do... it isnt a trick, its a feature. An international feature! They are not able to align the rear axle in the middle of the frame. mine is 15 mm off the center. Ford says thats in the tolerances...
i had probs with the german authority because of that and they didnt let me put on 285s without bigger fenders...
Sponsored