RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Well, since people flaked and most people paid I'm going to front the money for the 3. I placed the order on Sat. If you want one let me knew so I don't get stuck with them..
Sponsored

JB_Weld

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger black, extended cab. 2019 Audi SQ5
Occupation
Stationary Engineer
Wow. Not many would do what you did including myself. You were doing us a favor to begin with and now it’s costing you. I can’t put myself in the shoes of the 3 who, for whatever reason can no longer follow through on their promise. But.......

Hey ranger5g.com why don’t you buy these units and have some kind of sweepstakes? You can turn 1 negative into 3 positives.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
It's OK. They don't need to get involved. Just need 3 people who want one to buy.

Last edited:

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
maybe you should set up a rule to the extent that they should have X number of posts before they can be eligible to purchase? I know some firearms forums have that on group buys.

Too late now but maybe in the future that way you know your getting a reliable group for purchase.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
maybe you should set up a rule to the extent that they should have X number of posts before they can be eligible to purchase? I know some firearms forums have that on group buys.

Too late now but maybe in the future that way you know your getting a reliable group for purchase.
There were. People flaked.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
It's OK. They don't need to get involved. Just need 3 people who want one to buy.
If you can wait until January let me know, I'm out of work thanks to Covid and should be back to work by then. If I miss out I miss out.

FInoob

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
??
I'll take one

Payment sent

Last edited:
OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
18 out of 20. 1 pending. Need 1 more including any late comers.
1. mark_anderson_us PAID
2. @flnoob PAID
3.@taz PENDING
4.@Mr Adventures PAID
5.@tom n
6.@U3270 PAID
7.@Cutlerms PAID
8.@RangerRick19 PAID
9.@jacobt409
10. @catboxer PAID
11.@Suesccruizin PAID
12.@bradsayz PAID
13.@veloci1 PAID
14.@AverageWhiteGuy PAID
15.@JB_Weld PAID
16. @Ericrcif PAID
17.@db_tanker PAID
18.@garythecreep PAID
19.@GLV10 PAID
20.@darth ranger PAID
21. @quangdog PAID

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Unfortunately I got hit with a customs fee this time. But it divides down to $1.73 each. I'll message the group later. They should be arriving today. I'll get them all packed and possibly dropped off this evening or tomorrow depending when ups makes their appearance.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
Unfortunately I got hit with a customs fee this time. But it divides down to $1.73 each. I'll message the group later. They should be arriving today. I'll get them all packed and possibly dropped off this evening or tomorrow depending when ups makes their appearance.
i shot you 2 bucks.
thank you for the trouble RC

RangerRick19

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Appreciate you doing this all for us bud! Will post on my Instagram about the auto folding module! Maybe find another buyer there.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I have this module installed and firmly believe this should have been included from the factory.

I like it in that it keeps the mirrors in when located in a parking lot so that they do not get damaged by people walking by. I also find myself looking at the mirrors to see if I locked my truck when walking away.

I also do not understand why the dealers have not latched onto this module as a way to add $$$ to a sale.
Problem is that the current mirrors and their module are rated for "not auto-fold" number of cycles, and for auto-fold they would need significantly more durability cycles to be approved by Ford for use. In my "opinion" the Ranger mirrors and powerfold should last fine for an auto-fold application, but AFAIK no one has taken the time to properly prove it.

Where do you find those? I don't see anywhere, let alone how difficult it might be to take apart the mirror arms to upgrade the gearing.. ? I know some people have mentioned during cold weather the mirrors sometimes don't unfold.
If you are having issues with the mirrors icing up or not folding, i suggest bringing the complaint to Ford. If the mirrors all meet the specs, but there are issues in the field, it means the testing or spec need to be adjusted.

I am highly familiar with these mirrors, having disassembled and reassembled dozens at this point for work. TL;DR: It's possible to get the power fold actuator out, but these mirrors were designed to never come apart. Getting the Power Fold actuator out is going to be an incredibly painful task requiring you to fully disassemble the mirror and remove it from the vehicle. After you get the covers off you have to disconnect everything from the wiring harness and un-route the wiring harness through the pivot tube. Then to remove the pivot tube you must take the mirror to a drill press with a large drillbit and drill out the pivot tube to remove it. The power fold actuator is clamped into the pivot system with that spring for extra stability since the actuator is moving the entire head whenever it travels.

PXL_20201218_180151733.jpg

(Ignore that this one got a little melty during some testing)

Once the actuator is free, simply remove a bottom cover that's clipped on and the gears are accessible. Are there any replacement gears for this that offer a higher ratio? Not that i've ever heard of. Personally, i find the cutline seal to be more of the issue, i've seen it build up ice in the field where it cant fold without carefully digging it out (only happened once). While more torque may help it power through the ice, it's just as likely to break things too. The designs are also limited in torque output because it cant exceed the torque required to manually fold the mirror otherwise the mirror will over-travel. Manual folding torque is also called out as a range in the customer's specifications.

1608315099962.png
1608314958981.png

It is possible to reassemble this pivot using a palnut and a new pivot tube, but getting your hands on the right parts may be difficult. I've done it for work using parts from other mirrors though (shown above).

Working at the company that makes your side-view mirrors has its perks, but also means everyone wants to use your vehicle for testing...

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
They have arrived. I need to get more flat rate shipping boxes and hopefully I can get them out over the weekend.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
Again thank you for the effort brother!