samd1351

First Name
Sam DePriest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 (company truck), 2016 Cherokee, 2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
Gladiator:
(in ancient Rome) a man trained to fight with weapons against other men or wild animals in an arena.

Ranger:
a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.

From a naming perspective one has a clear advantage, and when Caesar crossed the Rubicon it signified the change from Republic to Empire. Whereas a Lariat is nothing more than a loop of rope, but I still like mine, albeit a "limp" name.

When it comes to names Ford could take some lessons from Chrysler.

Chrysler does have some good names. But Mustang is iconic. Or it was until the Mach-E. They could all take a lesson from Ford on the window stickers though. Ford's window sticker is much easier to read and follow than either Chevrolet or Dodge.
Sponsored

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
The Gladiator is superior off-road, but at a high cost premium. If you're mostly street... easy decision to get the Ranger. Plus you don't end up in the draining and childish Jeep crowd.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I looked at both a few months ago when I traded in my 2016 Jeep Cherokee and 2WD Range XL STX SCAB. I test drove both. For me the Ranger has better power, better fuel mileage, and a nicer ride. Another deciding factor for me was the ease of getting in and out since I am disabled, again the Ranger won out.

Plus I was able to get the Ranger XLT FX4 for the same price as a Gladiator Sport (base model)

I am a fan of Jeeps and am use to how the drive. In this instance, the Ranger was a better fit for me. I suggest test driving both.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Gladiator:
(in ancient Rome) a man trained to fight with weapons against other men or wild animals in an arena.

Ranger:
a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.

From a naming perspective one has a clear advantage, and when Caesar crossed the Rubicon it signified the change from Republic to Empire. Whereas a Lariat is nothing more than a loop of rope, but I still like mine, albeit a "limp" name.

When it comes to names Ford could take some lessons from Chrysler.
US Army Rangers might have something to say about that..

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
get it wrapped if you cant find anything other than white
Great suggestion! Spend $3500 in order to completely ruin a proper factory finish. If you don’t know, just research what wraps do to good paint over time.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
US Army Rangers might have something to say about that..
I had a client who was an ex army ranger - guy was 6'4" , lean and all muscle - every time shook hands I though my bones would be crushed . would be unwise to get on his bad side.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Look at these 2 and tell me one isn’t far better looking and as a bonus out preforms the other in every class. Not a hard decision really.

953C05DB-3D00-48BC-955A-5B1D04448850.jpeg
I like the color of that gladiator - a little darker might be mistaken for dried blood, signifying that it has been battle tested.

Ranger2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tremor.
The Gladiator is superior off-road, but at a high cost premium. If you're mostly street... easy decision to get the Ranger. Plus you don't end up in the draining and childish Jeep crowd.
Not all Gladiator's are superior off road. The Gladiator sport comes with open diff's and no lockers. The Willy's has a limited slip rear axel. Now the Rubicon comes with front and rear lockers. So at a much higher prices to get a more superior off road version and even then they have a longer wheelbase.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Great suggestion! Spend $3500 in order to completely ruin a proper factory finish. If you don’t know, just research what wraps do to good paint over time.
Do you have any links to show that? I was curious and in my few minutes of searching didn't find anything reputable that said car wraps will ruin a factory finish. Quite the opposite actually. I'm curious to see where you find this and what the reasoning behind it is.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any links to show that? I was curious and in my few minutes of searching didn't find anything reputable that said car wraps will ruin a factory finish. Quite the opposite actually. I'm curious to see where you find this and what the reasoning behind it is.
I based my post solely on personal experience. When I used to work in shop we removed a wrap (of unknown origin, quality and age) and around the edges of the wrap dirt had worked its way in and acted like sandpaper and made small holes in the paint all the way down to the metal. It took a lot of extra prep to get that car ready for paint. I mean, would it still have taken a lot of prep to get it ready for paint if it spent the same amount of time without a wrap on? Who knows. But I guess like anything else if you pay for the highest quality wrap you can, from folks who truly know what they’re doing, then you’ll get a better job (and maybe not have this dirt intrusion). They still only claim getting about five years out of a wrap though.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But you are right you don’t find a lot of negative comments about wraps. Even though you’re mostly finding information put out by companies wanting people to come to them and pay for wraps. So good quality suggestion after all there RP!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
But you are right you don’t find a lot of negative comments about wraps. Even though you’re mostly finding information put out by companies wanting people to come to them and pay for wraps. So good quality suggestion after all there RP!
I did see many comments about the actual APPLICATION of the wrap which would jive with your comments (which make perfect sense). If you get some cheap, fly by night operation that uses crappy materials I think the chances that you get the issues you are talking about are much higher. If you use good quality materials applied by a skilled professional, I think your chances of having those kinds of problems are much smaller, and typically the wrap would help protect the paint.

To me I guess it goes back to the same old thing - "You get what you pay for".

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
its too bad our research didn't lead us to your one off experience.
its a game changer in the wrap industry for sure.
Well everyone has to take Your life experiences as the gospel or they get called every name in the book..just saying. But sure you’re right there RP wraps are a great way to change vehicles color/look if done correctly. Again amazing helpful suggestion you had there! For me I’m not gonna spend $3500 on something that’s gonna last five years.
Sponsored