First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You would've thought that with all the technology features that are in the Ranger Ford would've had this integrated into the door pillar. I haven't read all 12 pages so this might have already been said.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
You would've thought that with all the technology features that are in the Ranger Ford would've had this integrated into the door pillar. I haven't read all 12 pages so this might have already been said.
I agree Dave ,this is something they had in the eighties. I think it was an after thought.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I agree Dave ,this is something they had in the eighties. I think it was an after thought.
That's my thought too Bret. I don't want to bash anyones decision who bought these but they look like something that would go on a Pinto,not a $40,000 vehicle! Now I can see these being an option for those who didn't get the higher end options package but to have this as your only choice is unacceptable.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
That's my thought too Bret. I don't want to bash anyones decision who bought these but they look like something that would go on a Pinto,not a $40,000 vehicle! Now I can see these being an option for those who didn't get the higher end options package but to have this as your only choice is unacceptable.
Its a shame as it it is a good thing to have if works as designed.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
After I had the dealer replace my defective keypad I reinstalled to the gas door and have not had trouble since. It was a bad batch of parts from a supplier, the new ones are fine

Probably not worth the trouble if you didn't order it from the factory or if it wasn't already on the truck when purchased

Lone Ranger

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2019 Ford Flex
Well, while I was disappointed that my keypad failed, I have used it quite a bit. I have gotten used to not having keys in my pocket or with me. I can still get in my pickup and I use the keypad to get in. Often just because I don't want to go back into the house and I need to get in the pick up while it is in the driveway. Or I locked it parked on a street in front of a friend's house and then I can get in if I don't have my keys with me. In someways considering that I have no idea of how to lock my self out of my pickup with the keys in the pickup, the keypad has less value then it used to have. But I still use it.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
I ordered my Ranger with the keypad because I had one for 8 years on my SuperDuty and got very used to it. I admit I wasn't too pleased that it was a taped on battery version, like I had on an 07 Mustang, rather than an integrated, hardwired unit that Ford is putting on everything else.

The first one came in with too much sealant so the cover would not stay on, so I had that replaced under warranty. The 2nd one died a few months back, probably at 9 months and under 10k miles, and I haven't had time to bother with it, but I finally scheduled the taillight wiring recall check for next week. I forgot about the keypad until I got home, so called back and asked them to order one so they can deal with it when I take it in. I was told they will not order it until they have a chance to look at it, so my guess is this particular dealer hasn't dealt with this issue yet, or the service writer hasn't (they have a whole new crew compared to when I last saw them back in October. This is not the dealer I purchased from, since I have moved across country.

Obviously, Ford decided that they were doing the keypad on the cheap during the N.A. Ranger introduction, since I'm sure the worldwide Ranger doesn't have it. My guess is the redesigned N.A. Ranger will have a fully integrated version.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Removed and relocated mine. Used the fishing line in the heat of the sun method. And yes, factory option and no power source other than internal battery. And, it won't fit in the fuel fill cover/door with the trim plate attached. Well it will, but the door wont latch. :crazy:

LRB45

First Name
LONNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
Vehicle Showcase
I really wanted the keyless entry since I used it daily on my F150 but hated the look of where they placed them on the Rangers so I passed when ordering mine. Didn't know at the time they were battery-powered and not wired directly to the truck so I'm even happier I didn't.
With that said I've been snooping around to see if there is any way to add the F150 unit to a Ranger and while looking for wiring diagrams came across this.
1598030871232.png

Does anyone know what Item 1 is? It looks similar to the wiring for the F150 keypads so maybe it is possible?? Can't find the door harness to see of the other side is pre-wired on the Ranger or not.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I really wanted the keyless entry since I used it daily on my F150 but hated the look of where they placed them on the Rangers so I passed when ordering mine. Didn't know at the time they were battery-powered and not wired directly to the truck so I'm even happier I didn't.
With that said I've been snooping around to see if there is any way to add the F150 unit to a Ranger and while looking for wiring diagrams came across this.
1598030871232.png

Does anyone know what Item 1 is? It looks similar to the wiring for the F150 keypads so maybe it is possible?? Can't find the door harness to see of the other side is pre-wired on the Ranger or not.
Item #1 looks to be the keypad itself judging by what appears to be an electrical pigtail, have you tried googling the part number? (assuming one is available).
I admire your ambition, to fit such a device to your Ranger will take serious thought and handiwork to look like "factory", not to mention interfacing it with your truck's wiring.

LRB45

First Name
LONNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER
Vehicle Showcase
Item #1 looks to be the keypad itself judging by what appears to be an electrical pigtail, have you tried googling the part number? (assuming one is available).
I admire your ambition, to fit such a device to your Ranger will take serious thought and handiwork to look like "factory", not to mention interfacing it with your truck's wiring.
I thought it looked like a keypad as well but can't seem to find that part or p/n anywhere to verify just what it is. Hoping maybe someone can help with identifying it for me.
I'm not committed to adding a wired keypad but I do want one and am not liking the wireless model or the look of it being so bulky. Agree that I don't expect it to be an easy task if I do take it on.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well we both agree that it does look like what you need, but I can't tell you for sure, sorry.
I also agree with you on the appearance of the keypad meant for the Ranger, I had spec'd it on my factory order for my 2020 Lariat until I found out what it actually is. Luckily I was able to cancel it.
Good Luck!

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
Hello,

The way it works on an F-150 is shown in the schematic below. As you can see, the keypad has 4 wires that go to connector C2280E on the body control module. I looked at that same connector on the Ranger and the connector does not have these pins for the connections. Actually C2280E on a Ranger is a totally different connector. I would just not have any faith that the body control module is even programmed to accept these inputs (on any of it's many connectors). In fact I would think it is not.

Now having said all this, I think the only viable way to "wire" this keypad in, would be to use the clunky radio transmitter that you paste onto the door, then wire it with 12V constant power reduced to whatever voltage the little watch battery that powers the thing uses for voltage via a resistor.

Yea, I know, not too appealing but It is the only way of doing it that I can think of. It doesn't appear to me that the USA version of the Ranger has the provisioning for the F-150 style keypad.

f150.JPG

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired mechanic
Now that I have one that works it is great to have it, not nice to look at though.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello,

The way it works on an F-150 is shown in the schematic below. As you can see, the keypad has 4 wires that go to connector C2280E on the body control module. I looked at that same connector on the Ranger and the connector does not have these pins for the connections. Actually C2280E on a Ranger is a totally different connector. I would just not have any faith that the body control module is even programmed to accept these inputs (on any of it's many connectors). In fact I would think it is not.

Now having said all this, I think the only viable way to "wire" this keypad in, would be to use the clunky radio transmitter that you paste onto the door, then wire it with 12V constant power reduced to whatever voltage the little watch battery that powers the thing uses for voltage via a resistor.

Yea, I know, not too appealing but It is the only way of doing it that I can think of. It doesn't appear to me that the USA version of the Ranger has the provisioning for the F-150 style keypad.

f150.JPG
Excellent investigative work Joe, I'm willing to bet that the next gen Ranger will feature an integrated keypad 'ala F-150 and other features current Ranger owners are pining for.
On a side note, I see your occupation is listed as "fireman" , Thank-You for your service Sir.
I myself an a retired Firefighter/Inspector from the Honolulu Fire Department with 28.5 years of service, I loved every minute of the job.:thumbsup:
Sponsored