chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_20190327_111246.jpg
This is mine, totally worth waiting 6 months for:like:
So what are the advantages? If you walk up to your Ranger with key in pocket it will automatically open wen you touch the inside of the handle. Lock by touching the lock sensor area on the front.
Sponsored

DentonB

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ram 4x4 Cummins), 2015 Audi A3 convertible
Leaving the keys in the truck while biking/hiking would be nice.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So what are the advantages? If you walk up to your Ranger with key in pocket it will automatically open wen you touch the inside of the handle. Lock by touching the lock sensor area on the front.
Yesterday, I had to get in my Lincoln to get something and I didn't have the key in my pocket. Rather than go inside and get the key, I used the code.
The Lincoln has the touch key pad on side of the window and not raised numbers and doesn't have the aftermarket add on look of the Ranger option.

Last edited:

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
The keyless entry works identical to those without it, but it lets me run out to the truck in the driveway without grabbing the keys and I also lock everything inside while I'm working out. It's a small feature but once you get used to it it's hard to live without it.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
I have the same question as chasvs. Beginning to wonder if it was worth the trouble and wait to get the keypad. My main reason for getting it was so that I could lock the key (in this case fob since I have a push button start Lariat) in the truck and not have to carry it around. I guess the fob could be locked in but with the door handle sensor, all someone would have to do is reach under the handle and the truck will unlock. Plus I read somwhere on line that if a fob is locked in the vehicle, it could eventually drain the car battery. A person could go unlock the truck with the keypad if the fob is not close by but then still can't start the truck until the fob is close by. Being a bit repetitive here but just wondering if I've got this figured out. Or am I missing something?

DentonB

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ram 4x4 Cummins), 2015 Audi A3 convertible
On my 2011 F-150 with keypad I have left the key in many times and never experienced an occasion where any of these have happened.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If you lock with the keypad it won't unlock because a key is inside

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went out and put the key fob in the truck and then locked the truck with the keypad. Then I tried to open the door by putting fingers under the door handle against the sensor and it stayed locked! So you are right VAMike if that's what you were saying. Now has anybody heard that the key fob locked in the truck could do anything to the car battery? Where I read that, they were talking about some other Ford vehicle and not the Ranger.
This has made my day if I can leave the fob in the truck and just use the keypad to get in!

OP
OP
chasvs

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I went out and put the key fob in the truck and then locked the truck with the keypad. Then I tried to open the door by putting fingers under the door handle against the sensor and it stayed locked! So you are right VAMike if that's what you were saying. Now has anybody heard that the key fob locked in the truck could do anything to the car battery? Where I read that, they were talking about some other Ford vehicle and not the Ranger.
This has made my day if I can leave the fob in the truck and just use the keypad to get in!
Well, I'd like to know this as well! Tha would give me a reason to pursue the Accessory version if it doesn't look too tacky!

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent the question about possibly draining the car battery to my dealer/salesman. When he gets back to me I'll post what he said.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Focus ST 2018 F150 Lariat
If you're worried about leaving the key in the vehicle and driving the battery, wrap the fob in aluminum foil or buy an RFID blocking bag/pouch.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did read something about aluminum foil and someone even made a little box with aluminum foil lining. Possibilities, I'll see what my salesman says. Thanks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
A modern vehicle has a hundred little computers pulling battery power all the time. Unless someone can explain exactly why that would suddenly become catastrophic if you leave the key in the truck, I'd write that off as BS.

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes sense, I bet you're right.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the same question as chasvs. Beginning to wonder if it was worth the trouble and wait to get the keypad. My main reason for getting it was so that I could lock the key (in this case fob since I have a push button start Lariat) in the truck and not have to carry it around. I guess the fob could be locked in but with the door handle sensor, all someone would have to do is reach under the handle and the truck will unlock. Plus I read somwhere on line that if a fob is locked in the vehicle, it could eventually drain the car battery. A person could go unlock the truck with the keypad if the fob is not close by but then still can't start the truck until the fob is close by. Being a bit repetitive here but just wondering if I've got this figured out. Or am I missing something?
I've locked my FOB in my Fusion a few times and NO issues. If you use the keypad to lock the car with the FOB inside (and that is the only way I know how to do that), you have to use the keypad to gain access. The doors do not unlock by touching the inside of the door handle. One obvious warning tho....do not lock the FOB in the car in plain sight - hide it.

EDIT: Just tried this in my Lariat. It works as I described above.

Keep your FOB out of the cup holder as that is where the nearfield reader is located in the truck. I can't say for sure but I think Ford could have a timer in the circuit to shutdown after x seconds/minutes.....much like the lights.
Sponsored

Last edited: