Ranger Fender vent lighting

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Thanks, the biggest change i made was a tire/wheel package i'll get pictures up in the other thread 'what did you do today' and i added lights under the tailgate.

rear lights.jpg

rear lights 2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, the biggest change i made was a tire/wheel package i'll get pictures up in the the other thread 'what did you do today' and i added lights under the tailgate.

rear lights.jpg

rear lights 2.jpg
Msfitoy did so also and am planning to do the same. Could you post some pics with the tailgate down? Also some info about what lights you used, source for the lights and how you mounted them.

Thanks.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Yea I’ll get some pics, the tailgate down just clears them, that panel is just a thin piece of plastic, I carefully drilled iirc 3/4 holes, but tested that size on a thin piece of luan plywood I had laying around to make sure, the specs of the lights are listed in this link it says what diameter hole is required.
They just mount using the rubber grommet, I tapped into the license plate lights using posi tap connectors.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/OPT29FR.html

Muscleford

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat, 84 & 85 5.0 Merc Capri,14 Fusion
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Rob.

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Thanks Rob.
The pics really aren’t showing anything the tailgate hides them when down, you really want to keep them closer to the top of the LP frame .
I used the grommets placed against the panel and outlined with a red Sharpie.
Space them from corner to corner of the LP frame, that’s going to be your guide to get them centered & spaced evenly, not to hard but remember you only get one shot when drilling the hole placement, and I used a small drill bit at first then switched to a spade type bit, good luck.

E2294D1D-4D0B-4D2F-B807-5130BB8F8123.jpeg

EE05A8B2-9FF6-4160-9E09-47787B63A10C.jpeg

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
Just a word of caution and I don't mean to be negative.

Your tapping into a circuit that is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). It is a non fused circuit, instead it is monitored and controlled by FET's. If that circuit were to fail the BCM maintains a cumulative counter for every fault. If the circuit reaches a certain count, another fault (DTC) is triggered (U####) and the circuit is permanently disabled until a BCM reset can be performed by the dealer / technician after a self test is performed to ensure the circuit is good. Certain DTC's cannot be reset and a new BCM is required ( I believe a U3000 is such a scenario).

In addition if a dealer were to see that the circuit was tapped into they can deny a warranty claim since it was a aftermarket part that could have caused the issue.

As I've said before these front markers get tapped into by many many people and never have an issue. But when tapping into these circuits I would make sure that the tap is secure and of a quality connection, not only to avoid any long term and costly issues but any possible warranty issues.
I found this
https://customautoworksstore.com/pr...nector/?product_added_to_cart=3211&quantity=2

DangerRanger84

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Just a word of caution and I don't mean to be negative.

Your tapping into a circuit that is controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module). It is a non fused circuit, instead it is monitored and controlled by FET's. If that circuit were to fail the BCM maintains a cumulative counter for every fault. If the circuit reaches a certain count, another fault (DTC) is triggered (U####) and the circuit is permanently disabled until a BCM reset can be performed by the dealer / technician after a self test is performed to ensure the circuit is good. Certain DTC's cannot be reset and a new BCM is required ( I believe a U3000 is such a scenario).

In addition if a dealer were to see that the circuit was tapped into they can deny a warranty claim since it was a aftermarket part that could have caused the issue.

As I've said before these front markers get tapped into by many many people and never have an issue. But when tapping into these circuits I would make sure that the tap is secure and of a quality connection, not only to avoid any long term and costly issues but any possible warranty issues.
+1 for this - tapping a non-fused circuit, while unlikely to cause any issues w/ low voltage LED's, puts the BCM at risk. Having it trip a BCM fault is not worth it...my 17 year old self and my old Honda Civic had this happen and it bricked the car, lol. That being said I learned a lot with that car in those early days so a lot of it was my fault and being naive...but it gave me a healthy respect for electrical wiring and BCM/ECU's and how fragile they can be, and how easy they are to fuck up if you're not careful.

pwrplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Doesn't anybody use solder anymore? Those Scotchlocs (or any other tap out there) are junk junk junk.
Just carefully strip back some sheathing on the donor wire, wrap the accessory power around the exposed donor wire, solder the connection, electrical tape/goo it to protect it from the elements and then secure the harness to prevent chaffing! It will last as long as the vehicle.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't anybody use solder anymore? Those Scotchlocs (or any other tap out there) are junk junk junk.
Just carefully strip back some sheathing on the donor wire, wrap the accessory power around the exposed donor wire, solder the connection, electrical tape/goo it to protect it from the elements and then secure the harness to prevent chaffing! It will last as long as the vehicle.
I solder evrything...