First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I got X-Plan no problem and saved about $1200. I used Mustang Club and all the dealer wanted was my PIN and a copy of my membership card. Don't see how it could be optional and if they gave a problem I'd just dealer shop,and when you build it on line is shows it . I am from a small town and know almost everyone at the dealership and drive auction cars for them....my salesman actually did the financial side too - first new car that I wasn't bothered to death with up-sale add ons :)
Thank-You sir for the useful information
I am off to the dealership to place the required deposit of 3K today but I've stipulations with the dealer in this transaction.

These stipulations mainly deal with preventing them from adding items such as paint sealants, glass etching services etc. to the truck. The ONLY additional charges i am willing to pay for are 1) Hawaii sales tax, 2) County registration tax and 3) reasonable documentation fees.
Prior to my civil service job i worked as a mechanic at a Lincoln- Mercury-Honda dealership for almost 14 years and saw all the shenanigans the sales department would pull regarding sales markups.
I had thought that using the X plan would prevent this but it does not. On page 2 of the contract there is a section in which the dealer must list additional fees/charges to the vehicle, but it does not prevent them from adding any BS charges for worthless accessories.
Essentially my stipulation is that they refund my deposit should they attempt to add these items ($500 for a wax job, ?c'mon) or not charge me for ridiculous add ons.
Living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean does have its drawbacks, and all 3 Ford agencies here are keenly aware of this.
True, I could buy it from another dealer on another island here in Hawaii but I suspect the problem would be exactly the same.
Not to mention shipping, while the Ranger is very well equipped it doesn't come with outriggers and a prop.
Sponsored

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thank-You sir for the useful information
I am off to the dealership to place the required deposit of 3K today but I've stipulations with the dealer in this transaction.

These stipulations mainly deal with preventing them from adding items such as paint sealants, glass etching services etc. to the truck. The ONLY additional charges i am willing to pay for are 1) Hawaii sales tax, 2) County registration tax and 3) reasonable documentation fees.
Prior to my civil service job i worked as a mechanic at a Lincoln- Mercury-Honda dealership for almost 14 years and saw all the shenanigans the sales department would pull regarding sales markups.
I had thought that using the X plan would prevent this but it does not. On page 2 of the contract there is a section in which the dealer must list additional fees/charges to the vehicle, but it does not prevent them from adding any BS charges for worthless accessories.
Essentially my stipulation is that they refund my deposit should they attempt to add these items ($500 for a wax job, ?c'mon) or not charge me for ridiculous add ons.
Living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean does have its drawbacks, and all 3 Ford agencies here are keenly aware of this.
True, I could buy it from another dealer on another island here in Hawaii but I suspect the problem would be exactly the same.
Not to mention shipping, while the Ranger is very well equipped it doesn't come with outriggers and a prop.
Document fee is capped at $100 or state max. However you're right they might try to give you the hard sell on everything else.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Document fee is capped at $100 or state max. However you're right they might try to give you the hard sell on everything else.
Hawaii has no such "cap", so theoretically this is where the dealer could profit.
However, in the document I asked them to provide outlining my stipulations, this fee will be disclosed.
As you can see, I am being very pessimistic in this transaction, but this is the very same dealer which quoted me a price for a 2019 Ranger that included an 8K markup above the MSRP back in June.
Yes you read it correctly, eight thousand dollars.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hawaii has no such "cap", so theoretically this is where the dealer could profit.
However, in the document I asked them to provide outlining my stipulations this fee will be disclosed.
As you can see, I am being very pessimistic in this transaction, this is the very same dealer which quoted me a price for a 2019 Ranger that included an 8K markup above the MSRP back in June.
Yes you read it correctly, eight thousand dollars.
X-plan cap is $100.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just got off the phone with the X-Plan pricing people, you are absolutely correct sir, the cap is set at $100 irregardless where the transaction is consummated.
What a relief !
:handsinair:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Just got off the phone with the X-Plan pricing people, you are absolutely correct sir, the cap is set at $100 irregardless where the transaction is consummated.
What a relief !
:handsinair:
/cringe
/triggered

Stan McKinney

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger,
I ordered mine last December with X plan fwith no problem. I am a long time member of Mustang Club of America and have two Mustangs. One is a 1966 red convertible with white top. The other is a red 2015 with 50th anniversary package. You might get less for a trade with X plan. But that is the only drawback I know of. I love my lightning blue truck and get many compliments. It is a laraet with crew cab, four wheel drive, the electronics package and chrome package including running boards. Great truck.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought mine via X Plan and got several hefty rebates during the annual Memorial Day Sales. At the time of my purchase I got my Ranger for less than any buyer prior to my purchase by a BUNCH!! :)
Just made the dealer required 3K deposit to special order the truck, the dealer has promised to email me the VIN once they receive it.
I've waited since the 2019's were first available, another 2-3 months is inconsequential.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Question about the VIN and actual dealer invoice here please.
How long after the VIN is assigned to a special order vehicle does the dealer receive the invoice for it?
Weighing payment options here
Thanks !

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Question about the VIN and actual dealer invoice here please.
How long after the VIN is assigned to a special order vehicle does the dealer receive the invoice for it?
Weighing payment options here
Thanks !
The dealer should have given you the sales invoice with the X-Plan price on it when you ordered.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pricing for 2020 model year Rangers was unavailable when I placed the order on 8/20/19.

Nutty 5.0

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LB Super Crew, 2012 GT500, 2015 VW GSW TDI
Vehicle Showcase
They weren't 100% sure on price when I put my order in a few weeks ago. This was the sheet they gave me but I don't believe was the actual order. At least should give an idea
Ranger 2020 order.jpg

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
My 2020 Ranger is the third new truck l have bought with the x plan. I have access to it through my employer. It is easy to do and like the idea of the price being disclosed up front. When l buy a vehicle without ordering it l always use Cars.com and get the best price l can find that way.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My 2020 Ranger is the third new truck l have bought with the x plan. I have access to it through my employer. It is easy to do and like the idea of the price being disclosed up front. When l buy a vehicle without ordering it l always use Cars.com and get the best price l can find that way.
Thank-You sir for putting my mind at ease with regards to the X plan, my 2020 Ranger transaction will be my first time in using this plan.
Besides the break in price, my other concern was having to haggle with the dealer about pricing and buying any new vehicle. The X plan pricing gives transparency regarding my actual cost, indeed I made it clear to the dealer that the only additional fees I will pay are State of Hawaii taxes, DMV fees and $100 for DMV titling only, absolutely nothing else.
Don't get me wrong, I am all for the dealer making a reasonable profit on this deal, besides I am almost certain that they will still receive the holdback credit from Ford.

DJS 60

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape Ford Ranger
Occupation
Ironworker
It is kind of annoying, each of the 3 vehicles l have bought with X Plan they try to find truck from inventory to match the one I want to order, to save me a lot of money. Yeah right. I have to insist l am ordering exactly what I want and I am only interested in the next year's model.
Sponsored