Final tips before putting in order? Why no '23 X-Plan pricing on Ford website?

moutaindude

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee
Been holding off on buying a new vehicle for a couple years now. Money is no problem but I'm still shell-shocked that a daily driver 1/4 ton extended cab truck with 4x4, locking diff, and a decent set of options is going to cost me $35k. Inflation is what it is. Enough whining...

I've done my research here over the past year. Test drove all the mid-size trucks. Dealer said they will honor X-Plan and delivery is about 90 days.

Final few questions before I put down a deposit:

• Why is there no 2023 X-Plan pricing on fordpartner.com? Dealer says I should put together a 2022 build online (since there's no '23 build tool on the Ford website) and just bring that in. Will they break-down the X-Plan formula for me at time of deposit, showing me invoice prices on everything? Or do I have to run the numbers myself to keep them honest? What do I get in writing when I put down the deposit?

• Is there any dealer-installed option, either standard across Ford dealers or typical of dealers generally (noting I haven't bought a new car in 20+ years), that's worth considering rolling-into the purchase? Or should I just expect upsell rip-offs and plan to say no to anything that's not on my build?

• I do need a trailer brake controller. But I understand it's not part of the factory tow package but also not listed as a 'dealer installed option' on the 2023 Order Guide pdf. Any other surprise dealer-installed options like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bashell

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
Why is there no 2023 X-Plan pricing on fordpartner.com? Dealer says I should put together a 2022 build online (since there's no '23 build tool on the Ford website) and just bring that in. Will they break-down the X-Plan formula for me at time of deposit, showing me invoice prices on everything? Or do I have to run the numbers myself to keep them honest? What do I get in writing when I put down the deposit?
Yeah, there's no build and price tool for the 2023's yet so your dealer is correct about just doing the 2022 and having that be a close representation to what you're going to pay. I was told by multiple dealerships that they're not giving x plan pricing on Ford direct orders though, so... good luck?

Is there any dealer-installed option, either standard across Ford dealers or typical of dealers generally (noting I haven't bought a new car in 20+ years), that's worth considering rolling-into the purchase? Or should I just expect upsell rip-offs and plan to say no to anything that's not on my build?
If it's not on the build sheet then you're not agreeing to it, but I'd expect any good dealership won't throw any add-ons with a direct order.

I do need a trailer brake controller. But I understand it's not part of the factory tow package but also not listed as a 'dealer installed option' on the 2023 Order Guide pdf. Any other surprise dealer-installed options like this?
The trailer-brake controller is a dealer installed accessory that's kind of an afterthought. You'll find it and similar things (tonneau covers, accessory bed lighting) listed at the bottom of the MY22 configurator.

NOTE: I opted not to have the trailer brake controller option on my truck since it's dealer installed and kind of looks like crap in the standard configuration. I plan on doing it myself and using a Lightforce switch fascia instead of having the dealer drill some random hole in my dash.

OP
OP

moutaindude

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee
Thanks, very helpful. We'll see when I walk in ready with my deposit if they follow-through after telling me twice now over the past month they will do X-Plan on the order. If not, will have to re-think.

I will get ask to get everything written-out and signed at the time of deposit, including X-Plan calculation, and basically make a purchase agreement that's as binding as possible.

Interesting about the trailer brake controller. I'll see if I can get them to put a great labor price for an install in writing. If not, looks like I have plenty of time to research and am pretty handy myself (though not always particularly 'clean' in making things look OEM). Just want it to look as 'factory' as possible on a brand new vehicle.
Sponsored