First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
This week I cancled my ATT hotspots in our car and the ranger. Also canceled their old burner pay as you go phone that was 3 or 4g. I decided to get a real phone service with a 5g lower end Samsung A53 phone with hotspot and internet to replace everything. I have been looking for a decent phone mount and in the threads I see many use magnetic mounts that I like. But from the phone manual and other threads online I see 5g phones need a big antennae inside the back of the case and it should not be blocked by metal. Actually the back is best facing the windshield for best reception in an auto. Just wondering if anyone has seen reception problems on 5g networks with the big metal plate from magnetic mounts glued on or if it's not an issue. Also do the plates glued to the phone become magnetic over time. Thanks for any input.
https://www.weathertech.ca/en/weath...ub4KUc7C_kJozztXmcY7teF_j-D2aQKBoCYyoQAvD_BwE
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fordup

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Ed I use this magnet mount here. I've had it for over 3 years now and it works great with my 5G phone. I'm using an Otterbox commuter case and have the disc fixed to the back side of the case.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg
Does it interfere with magnetic charging from that little proximity wireless charging device?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Does it interfere with magnetic charging from that little proximity wireless charging device?
You can't wireless charge with it on there as it blocks it. You'll have to just pop the case off when you're home or in your office and wireless charge it.

JJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
That's my point. Both Waze and Google maps will display on your truck's screen with AA or Carplay?

Lame excuse on the cleanliness Dave. It's much colder here, I wash my truck at pay and spray, and mine looks better.

Gonna lose that 303 sponsorship if you don't keep up.
I gave CarPlay a fair shake, but there is something bugged when running Waze app and trying to make a phone call over the Ranger while connect via CarPlay. It’s busted.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I gave CarPlay a fair shake, but there is something bugged when running Waze app and trying to make a phone call over the Ranger while connect via CarPlay. It’s busted.
Sounds about right for an Apple product. I'd bet it would work if you had an Apple truck.

Friday yet?

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I totally get that. I'm the only person I know who still pays all their bills with a check and a stamp.

I've never been a big fan of SYNC, so I was happy to play with AA enough to figure it out when I got my first vehicle with it.
What's this "check and stamp" thing? It does vaguely ring a bell.

OP
OP
Fordup

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
What's this "check and stamp" thing? It does vaguely ring a bell.
That's what they do when you go to a concert :LOL:
They CHECK your ID to see if you're old enough to buy alcohol at the entrance gate and then STAMP your hand to prove it at the beer concession.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Makes sense. When I'm using a source other than my phone I put the right dash screen to "entertainment" for control.

I really enjoy having the moving map with me at all times, even though I don't actively navigate outside of work much. If I feel like taking a different route a quick glance will confirm it works for me, I'm always trying to avoid traffic.

There's a white button bottom left of the AA screen. It brings up a menu, if you choose "Ford" the Sync screen will come up and you can access all functions except Nav.
Just wait till you get the new "Coolwalk" AA interface. Just showed up for me yesterday. Main screen now gets a "split screen" view so you can show entertainment and nav at the same time. Not sure I'm a huge fan when I'm not streaming via my phone, so I'll be fiddling with it to see what kind of control I have over the layout.

I see where some cars like BMW with wireless chargers have a signal booster built into the chargers to help with 5g signals. It's funny looking at the carrier map. The signals split right behind my house so heading east there are miles of 4g and heading west there's about 50 miles of 5g with a few 4g spots.
That would be nice. Where I live, all cell phone reception is spotty AF, and 5g fades in and out except in a few places. Some days I get 5g at home. Others, like today, I don't. Lots of old buildings block cellular signals when you're in town, also.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Just wait till you get the new "Coolwalk" AA interface. Just showed up for me yesterday. Main screen now gets a "split screen" view so you can show entertainment and nav at the same time. Not sure I'm a huge fan when I'm not streaming via my phone, so I'll be fiddling with it to see what kind of control I have over the layout.
I've seen mention of this. Will have to keep an eye out.

J Krutsch

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew FX4
Ed I use this magnet mount here. I've had it for over 3 years now and it works great with my 5G phone. I'm using an Otterbox commuter case and have the disc fixed to the back side of the case.

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg
Allright, this forum just cost me some more money. Looks worth it though.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Allright, this forum just cost me some more money. Looks worth it though.
At least this is one of the cheaper ones and doesn't break the bank. lol Just wipe down the dash really good with alcohol and you shouldn't have any problems with it sticking. Mine has been on for over 3 years now. Even when off road the phone has never fallen off.
Sponsored