Puncture resistance of various 4-ply tires

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I read that the stock Dynapro AT-M are "known" to puncture/pop frequently on rocks that other tires won't puncture on.

It's not clear if those comparisons are comparing 4-ply Dynapro AT-M to (say) 10-ply Wildpeaks.

Is the puncture resistance of various 4-ply tires about the same, or do certain other 4-ply tires -- like Falken Wildpeaks AT3 or Toyo Tire Open Country A/T III or Firestone Destination AT/2 -- have a higher puncture resistance?
If so, why are they more resistant if they're about the same thickness at 4-ply equivalent?
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I think that you could chase your tail on this for a long time. Tire plies used to be a real thing, counting the number of layers of material in the tire. Now, they are only mentioned as an approximate equivalent to load-range ratings. There is no standardized testing for puncture-resistance, but as you say, some tires seem to gain a reputation one way or another. I would take it with a grain of salt. Tire performance in extreme off-road conditions has more to do with driver skill and route selection than anything else. Inflation pressure is often reduced off-pavement, and has a huge effect on the longevity of tires.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I can't say too much except the fact when I had my 2016 Nissan Frontier with the Dynapro ATM I had very bad luck with picking up nails along the way. Yes they are not the greatest for puncture resistance but most other tires on the market will do better. It really comes down to what you prefer. After the factory tires and snow tires I went to Bridgestone Dueler Revo 3's and they were ok. Now i have Firestone Destination XT'S ON MY TRUCK and work van. With all the places I have been i have not had a puncture what so ever. Whether or not that is pure lucky or something else I can't say but I can say I'm impressed.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
The Dynapro is about the lightest AT tire you can buy. It rides great and will get you good MPG’s, but it’s light weight will limit its toughness.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
I took my Ranger to some rocky areas here on my first weekend. I thought the tire did better than expected. Gripped the lava rocks well, sand and dirt. But, while washing it the next day, I noticed chunks missing. No puncture though and lava rocks are notoriously sharp. So, I feel with mild offroading, the tires will do fine. I ended up upgrading to wildpeaks.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
KO2'S in load range E are tough as nails.
Got a nail in my stock duelers soon after buying the truck, never had an issue with my KO2'S.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
now and then almost any tire can get a puncture. what concerns me is side blow outs, instant pressure loss and peeling of the "cap". those can cause deadly accidents. i had a set of kumho a/t on my older ranger and i think they had magnets in them. four out of four had plugs from nails. to be totally fair, my area did have some bad storms during that time frame so roofers and construction was all over meaning more nails on the road. the dynapros are not a "bad" tire. but i would not call them a tough tire. good year was pimping the kevlar in some of its tires but i dont know if it made any real difference as far as punctures go.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
The Dynapro is about the lightest AT tire you can buy. It rides great and will get you good MPG’s, but it’s light weight will limit its toughness.
I think this is the crux of my questions. 4-ply is a rating for toughness (I know it's not literal plys anymore). Wouldn't other aftermarket 4-ply tires also have the same limited toughness?

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I think this is the crux of my questions. 4-ply is a rating for toughness (I know it's not literal plys anymore). Wouldn't other aftermarket 4-ply tires also have the same limited toughness?
The number of plies doesn’t relate to “toughness,” only an antiquated standard for load-carrying capacity.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
The number of plies doesn’t relate to “toughness,” only an antiquated standard for load-carrying capacity.
Ah -- thanks. I thought load-carrying capacity was related to toughness, ie the higher the load capacity, the stronger the tire needs to be (and so it's more puncture-resistant). Thanks for clarifying my misconception :)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It really comes down to the manufacturer and the tire design. As we all know not all tires are made equally. For example there are the BFG K02 and the General Grabber ATx. The grabber is simply a knockoff of the K02. It is also heavier. Wich is better between the two? Most likely the K02 due to better tread design and being lighter(same size and load class of course).