First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
so sunday mom is expected to be coming home! i am happy about that but also nervous as can be about being able to handle everything she needs like medications, insulin, and daily life stuff. im not married and dont have kids or even pets at this point so this is all new to me, crash course in caring for another person. keep the prayers coming please. Thank you everyone!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
so sunday mom is expected to be coming home! i am happy about that but also nervous as can be about being able to handle everything she needs like medications, insulin, and daily life stuff. im not married and dont have kids or even pets at this point so this is all new to me, crash course in caring for another person. keep the prayers coming please. Thank you everyone!!
That's great to hear Mark! It's natural to be nervous but don't worry on how to handle it as instinct will take over. It may not be easy at times and it's hard to see a loved one (especially a parent) like this but just remember it takes time. Just being there for her and helping as much as you can is more than enough and I'm sure your mom will really appreciate everything you do. You have all of us here for support and any questions. You got this! :D

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
friends i got home from work tonight only to find out that my dad thought my mom may have had a stroke. i rushed on. she did. been at the er all night so far with them. im not ready to let a parent go yet, shes in general healthy and even still works at her bizz a few days a week. i was just telling someone here how tough she is recently and how she beat cancer. im requesting prayers and positive thoughts for my mother to be well and restored to health / ability.
thank you
Kind thoughts and prayers for your Mother's speedy recovery, and to your Ohana (family) as well!

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
hell of a sunday. home health nurse never showed up, rehab hospital did not have paper work or prescriptions correct and got home to find my refrigerator stopped working while i was at the hospital friday. got mom home and in bed and spent 4 hours trying to get all meds and paper work worked out. finally got that done for sunday at least after 15 calls and two trips to pharmacy and two back to the hospital. had to get all the diabetic test meter and supplies since the home health nurse was supposed to bring it and show us how to do it. so i learned it, checked it. then i took the broken fridge doors off, would not fit out the door with them on. cleaned up all the nasty mess and wheeled it to the curb. emptied my garage fridge, took its doors off brought it in and put it back together. food order from sams didnt get filled so i had run to sams and get all that. just sat down for the first time since 8 am sunday morning. i hope monday goes better. the good news is mom is in her own bed and sleeping soundly tonight first time in about 3 weeks. thanks for listening to my rant lol.

Synfulz

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Diesel :)
Occupation
Retired Powerplant Operator
Vehicle Showcase
hell of a sunday. home health nurse never showed up, rehab hospital did not have paper work or prescriptions correct and got home to find my refrigerator stopped working while i was at the hospital friday. got mom home and in bed and spent 4 hours trying to get all meds and paper work worked out. finally got that done for sunday at least after 15 calls and two trips to pharmacy and two back to the hospital. had to get all the diabetic test meter and supplies since the home health nurse was supposed to bring it and show us how to do it. so i learned it, checked it. then i took the broken fridge doors off, would not fit out the door with them on. cleaned up all the nasty mess and wheeled it to the curb. emptied my garage fridge, took its doors off brought it in and put it back together. food order from sams didnt get filled so i had run to sams and get all that. just sat down for the first time since 8 am sunday morning. i hope monday goes better. the good news is mom is in her own bed and sleeping soundly tonight first time in about 3 weeks. thanks for listening to my rant lol.
Sounds like a trying day. But you persevered. Glad your mom is home with family. Continued prayers for her and you all.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Mark, I will continue praying for you, your mom, and that those around you, including home health, step up to help you as well. It reads like you are doing well at prioritizing and juggling everything thrown at you.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Wow not a good day at all. :shock: Sorry you had to go through all this especially your moms first day back. You got yourself a crash course on the meds but at least she's home now and hopefully the rest of the weeks goes smoother for you.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I'm so sorry to hear of all the struggles and I'm not surprised that you rose to them all and took care of it. Your mom's really lucky to have you as her son.

But still, that was way more than anyone would bargain for, but as you said, the good news is that your mom's home and way more comfortable.

Well done Mark!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Mark,
I know exactly where you are. When Mom was around 86 (a widow) and had totally survived two strokes, I noticed that she was starting to need help with her everyday activities and finances. I was semi-retired putting in close to 20 hrs. a week and working on my master's degree. I knew it would all be on me...no relatives available who could offer very much help because of distance, health and family issues. I finally needed to move in with her during the last 3 years of her life because she needed around the clock care. I was able to get her through a number of health issues including nose cancer, urinary problems, several mini heart attacks, congestive heart failure, bouts of dementia, along with several hospitalizations.

When she was diagnosed as end of life, was fortunate to get her on the Hospice assistance program. They are an outstanding organization and provided a hospital bed with a catheter for her in the house. She practically lived in the bed for her remaining time. They would come in to do medical checks and services. The only lack is they don't offer overnight in home health care assistants. Honestly, I felt sometimes that I was going over the edge from lack of sleep and the constant stress of meeting her needs 24/7, keeping up my studies and exercise program. At the same time had to take care of her affairs, manage her meals and meds and keep up her house and yard. During the last several months, I frequently had to have health care workers to come in and watch her overnight so I could get enough sleep and rest to be able to continue on.

God provided the strength and everything needed, sustaining me through faith and prayer. The next best thing you can do is get her on as much of the Mediterranean diet that she can tolerate along with an exercise program within her maximum ability. A healthy diet and exercise will have an amazing effect on her mental and physical and mental well-being. I continue to experience these great benefits by practicing the above.

The end of the story is that I was sitting in the room with her the morning that she peacefully left this life and passed through the gates of heaven at age 96. I moved back into my house and am continuing on with life. When I reflect over my life, I can say with certainly this was one of the toughest experiences I've ever been through but also the richest and most rewarding. I will never regret the sacrifice which is now worth more than any words can express!

Last edited:
OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Mark,
I know exactly where you are. When Mom was around 86 (a widow) and had totally survived two strokes, I noticed that she was starting to need help with her everyday activities and finances. I was semi-retired putting in close to 20 hrs. a week and working on my master's degree. I knew it would all be on me...no relatives available who could offer very much help because of distance, health and family issues. I finally needed to move in with her during the last 3 years of her life because she needed around the clock care. I was able to get her through a number of health issues including nose cancer, urinary problems, several mini heart attacks, congestive heart failure, bouts of dementia, along with several hospitalizations.

When she was diagnosed as end of life, was fortunate to get her on the Hospice assistance program. They are an outstanding organization and provided a hospital bed with a catheter for her in the house. She practically lived in the bed for her remaining time. They would come in to do medical checks and services. The only lack is they don't offer overnight in home health care assistants. Honestly, I felt sometimes that I was going over the edge from lack of sleep and the constant stress of meeting her needs 24/7, keeping up my studies and exercise program. At the same time had to take care of her affairs, manage her meals and meds and keep up her house and yard. During the last several months, I frequently had to have health care workers to come in and watch her overnight so I could get enough sleep and rest to be able to continue on.

God provided the strength and everything needed, sustaining me through faith and prayer. The next best thing you can do is get her on as much of the Mediterranean diet that she can tolerate along with an exercise program within her maximum ability. A healthy diet and exercise will have an amazing effect on her mental and physical and mental well-being. I continue to experience these great benefits by practicing the above.

The end of the story is that I was sitting in the room with her the morning that she peacefully left this life and passed through the gates of heaven at age 96. I moved back into my house and am continuing on with life. When I reflect over my life, I can say with certainly this was one of the toughest experiences I've ever been through but also the richest and most rewarding. I will never regret the sacrifice which is now worth more than any words can express!
thank you for sharing brother. wow that is a lot. im getting small tastes of that now, and in a similar situation. also a student working on a higher degree and capped hours at work at 20. which is already really tight living and now im paying some of mom and dads bills too. trying get things figured out and lined up is a lil overwhelming. but like you its on me and has to be done. i really appreciate the prayer and support from everyone here at r5g. i dont think id be as well without it.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'd say you handled all that spectacularly.
Well done.
Glad your mom is home. I know what a relief that is for all concerned.
Hang tough!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
thank you for sharing brother. wow that is a lot. im getting small tastes of that now, and in a similar situation. also a student working on a higher degree and capped hours at work at 20. which is already really tight living and now im paying some of mom and dads bills too. trying get things figured out and lined up is a lil overwhelming. but like you its on me and has to be done. i really appreciate the prayer and support from everyone here at r5g. i dont think id be as well without it.
Mark,
Your work and school situation is almost identical to what mine was! And you have the added responsibility for your Dad. There's a chance your Mom and Dad won't develop the serious health issues that Mom had. Do you have any relative's or neighbors that can help?

I totally agree with you that prayer and support from others makes a huge difference and helps so much to get you through whatever life throws out. I credit that wholly for getting through the situation with Mom.

I want to emphasize again the importance of a healthy diet and exercise. This can make a very significant and important difference in the life of any person regardless of age. I have been working out consistently for over 40 years and the results are beyond what I expected. But healthy eating is also a big player. I piddled with the Mediterranean diet for several years and felt better because of it but it was after pinning down a definite commitment to it that big changes happened.

High blood pressure runs in my family and I was on meds for 20-25 years and it was very difficult to maintain. About 6 months after going Mediterranean, my blood pressure starting dropping and I didn't snap at the time that it was the diet that was effecting it. Consulted my Doctor and he monitored it for a month or so and then gave me the word to drop the Meds. I went in for a checkup last Thursday and the average of 3 readings was 119/74. Food with nutrition along with exercise lifts your mood and gives you a sense of well being and added energy. And I'm not a young guy by any means! Didn't mean to get on a soap box but I'm so pleased with how I have been helped that I try and share it with whoever I can.

Anyway God Bless and keep us informed about the situation!

Last edited:
OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Mark,
Your work and school situation is almost identical to what mine was! And you have the added responsibility for your Dad. There's a chance your Mom and Dad won't develop the serious health issues that Mom had. Do you have any relative's or neighbors that can help?

I totally agree with you that prayer and support from others makes a huge difference and helps so much to get you through whatever life throws out. I credit that wholly for getting through the situation with Mom.

I want to emphasize again the importance of a healthy diet and exercise. This can make a very significant and important difference in the life of any person regardless of age. I have been working out consistently for over 40 years and the results are beyond what I expected. But healthy eating is also a big player. I piddled with the Mediterranean diet for several years and felt better because of it but it was after pinning down a definite commitment to it that big changes happened.

High blood pressure runs in my family and I was on meds for 20-25 years and it was very difficult to maintain. About 6 months after going Mediterranean, my blood pressure starting dropping and I didn't snap at the time that it was the diet that was effecting it. Consulted my Doctor and he monitored it for a month or so and then gave me the word to drop the Meds. I went in for a checkup last Thursday and the average of 3 readings was 119/74. Food with nutrition along with exercise lifts your mood and gives you a sense of well being and added energy. And I'm not a young guy by any means! Didn't mean to get on a soap box but I'm so pleased with how I have been helped that I try and share it with whoever I can.

Anyway God Bless and keep us informed about the situation!
thank you my friend! soap box welcome im learning all this as i go.

OP
OP
9zero1790

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
another tough day in the books. have not been able to get back to work yet but hopefully soon. cant pay my bills if i dont . the major struggle at the moment is making sure someone can be at the house with mom to watch and supervise her. my dad is here and he can do a lot but his hearing, vision and memory are all bad. for the past few years he has been leaving the oven on, keys in the car, leaves phone at home etc. couple days ago he gave mom a pepsi to drink, sugared oatmeal - and shes diabetic now! he means well and is a great dad his mind just isnt keeping up with him. mom was sorta the one watching out for him until her stroke. together they were great, dad could do the driving etc. and mom made sure dad was being safe and in contact etc. she also kept up with all the bills for them which im getting into and paying some. i feel like i need a home health nurse that can do meds and blood sugar etc. but most of those are private pay only and dont take medicare, medicade or va. its not at all that i dont wanna pay it out of pocket. i would gladly, i just dont have it... more appointments with doctors thursday. Thank you all for the support and prayers folks. r5g has turned into my me time later at night once moms safe in bed to try to distract my mind from all the stress.
Sponsored