Ribs and Salmon ..

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Ain’t it nice to see green on the trees again. What a long winter this year. That reminds me I need to dust of the fishing rods this weekend.

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I like big butts and I cannot lie that I’ve always been able to get them to come out great. But ribs on the other hand end being chewier than I figure they should be. Any tips?

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I like big butts and I cannot lie that I’ve always been able to get them to come out great. But ribs on the other hand end being chewier than I figure they should be. Any tips?
No , just Lawry’s and Smoke ..Low and Slow ..
Regards

Last edited:

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I have a small smoker that has an attached smoker pit.
I smoke ribs indirect for about 2 hours, you want the smoke cook them. I then light the charcoal in the main pit. Wrap them in foil and cook (still indirect) for another hour and half to two hours, this is where they get their tenderness from. The longer you can cook them in foil the softer they will get. This is the give and take time between perfect and burn.
Just open the foil and if you see the bone then they should be ready. Pull them out of the foil, put your sauce and place them back on the pit to cook the sauce in a little.

Hints:: after you season the ribs with your favorite seasoning, I personally use Kosmo Q. Ill sprinkle some brown sugar over it, it seems to keep the seasoning and help the meat. On the foil, take a stick of butter and rub a few stripes before wrapping.

Many many different and good ways to cook ribs, you basically keep cooking them until you find your own rhythm. Now, they are so easy for me, we cook them every weekend. It takes about 4 hours for me, at the same time giving a good flavor. I know people who have smoked them for 8, but I dont have that much patience.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My smoker is a fire box and main chamber but horizontal setup. With ribs I found keeping a small tray of water underneath ribs in main box and run at about 200 to 225F. Couple of hours baste up nice and put foil over top. Let go another 45 mins and should be good to go

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have a Primo Jr (oval ceramic) and last time I did them i went five hours at 225. Tasted great and bones pulled easy enough but chewy. I didn’t wrap so I will try that next time.
I dont wrap butts because I like the bark

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at those pics and said, damn that looks like N. Florida and sure enough it is.
When my folks moved down there in '90, they had a little bit of paradise in Gilchrist county. Nice 10.5 acre trac and we did all kinds of cooking like that. Looks great!
He's still around but sold it to be closer to the hospitals.

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
You are invited, but Fla. Is a long way .. :shock:
If we hadn’t been enjoying Gulf Shores and the toad strangling storms then I would have hopped on I-10 but back home today and work tomorrow. I hope it turned out great for you.
Sponsored