First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Well Tracy you need to drag your tail up here too......you'll love it! :clap:
We'll take good care of ya!!
Well, if I could get my “other half” outside the Alabama & Florida state lines I would seriously consider it. Oh yeah, did I mention I’m the world’s biggest chicken aka scaredy cat?! Let me see a bear, moose, or mountain lion up close & I won’t need my Ranger to navigate the trails!:LOL:
Sponsored

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Hi D,

Glacier is our most favorite National Park. Been there 5 times. We too encountered a thunderstorm on the Highline Trail some 7 miles into the trail. We huddled against a Rock Formation on the leeward side for quite a bit of time....still soaked to the bone from leg calf down to boots... Great memories. Alas, our hiking days are over.

Hike to Iceberg Lake also checked the Grizzly bear box. Momma Grizzly that we met on the trail. Was within three feet of her as I backed off slowly. This shot was take with my knees shaking...what an adrenaline rush.... I put me between her and Margie so Margie could back off first....
momma Grizzley.jpg

Also, Several encounters with mountain goats of which one joined us for lunch at Hidden Lake. So close but we did not flinch...

mountain goat.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
We are Mountain Goat aficionados. Sorry for the quality....pictures of our mixtiles in the living room. We ran into this family up on Mt. Evans at close to 14K in elevation.

IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1323.jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
those things are not at all shy at least the ones I've encountered when backpacking in Colorado, they'll wander right into your campsite and try to scavenge for food, I saw them rip the side of a tent open some yrs back at Willow Lakes to get at food left in the tent, wasn't our campsite but we shooed them away.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi D,

Glacier is our most favorite National Park. Been there 5 times. We too encountered a thunderstorm on the Highline Trail some 7 miles into the trail. We huddled against a Rock Formation on the leeward side for quite a bit of time....still soaked to the bone from leg calf down to boots... Great memories. Alas, our hiking days are over.

Hike to Iceberg Lake also checked the Grizzly bear box. Momma Grizzly that we met on the trail. Was within three feet of her as I backed off slowly. This shot was take with my knees shaking...what an adrenaline rush.... I put me between her and Margie so Margie could back off first....
momma Grizzley.jpg

Also, Several encounters with mountain goats of which one joined us for lunch at Hidden Lake. So close but we did not flinch...

mountain goat.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Glacier is stunning , I caught a bunch of nice cutthroats out of one of the lakes and last time we were there was mid September, berry season, came around a bend on a narrow trail between a lake and some rock ledges, black bear eating away at berries, he gave us a dirty look and kept eating, we backed off and waited a bit, then tried again , this time he stood up and took a few steps in our direction so we backed up hiked up the hill around the trail because that bear was going nowhere fast. Never saw any Griz there but we were in that area - granite park or something like that where they hang out.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Glacier is stunning , I caught a bunch of nice cutthroats out of one of the lakes and last time we were there was mid September, berry season, came around a bend on a narrow trail between a lake and some rock ledges, black bear eating away at berries, he gave us a dirty look and kept eating, we backed off and waited a bit, then tried again , this time he stood up and took a few steps in our direction so we backed up hiked up the hill around the trail because that bear was going nowhere fast. Never saw any Griz there but we were in that area - granite park or something like that where they hang out.
Hi D,

Also encountered a black bear before the Grizzly. Bear was eating berries too but turned around and ambled off into the woods, stopping to take a dump. So the age old question," Does a bear Sh*t in the woods?" Yep! First hand experience....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are Mountain Goat aficionados. Sorry for the quality....pictures of our mixtiles in the living room. We ran into this family up on Mt. Evans at close to 14K in elevation.

probably before your arrival in CO but some years back 56 elk wasted on Mt Evans - by a lightning strike, I myself have killed 3 geese with a single shotgun blast and recall some yrs back a friend killing 2 deer with a single shot - as it turns out one deer was standing directly behind the other, from some 200 yds away he only one saw the one in his scope when he fired. And yes mtn goats have also been struck by lightning on mountain tops.

1608748894806.png

IMG_1321.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1323.jpg

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Several years ago I was on a management hunt at a trophy Whitetail ranch in central Texas. I had been invited there through a good friend of mine to help harvest white-tailed does as a part of the ranches wildlife management plan.
Anyway it’s down to the last day to hunt and I’m up on the ridge line with the wind blowing about 30 and crazy foggy. There were does everywhere and scattered amongst them were several five to $10,000 class Whitetail bucks. Needless to say I did not harvest a deer that morning because I was afraid to shoot and hit one of those bucks by accident.?$$$$ No way I was going to try to explain to the wife how this happened:frown:
Sponsored