First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Moose box checked several times... Last time in Jackson Hole at buddies mansion, surprised a Bull dining on the shrubs in the front yard.... It charged and I sprinted back into the house and slammed the door... Big and fast...whew!
My first encounter with a moose was up in northern Maine snowmobiling. Nothing like coming around a corner doing 60 and staring down a 1200 lb bull moose right in the middle of the trail! :surprised: No reverse on that sled but you never saw a 150 lb guy jump off and 180 his machine so fast in your life.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Well maybe we could check off the Big Horn sheep box or the I bet I can put you on a native Colorado Green-back Cutthroat Trout if your willing to hike a mile or so...I would almost guarantee that but that’s why we call it fishing and not catching...right Phil?:wink:
maybe try and entice him with a grey wolf sighting - or perhaps a jackalope. If you haven't been in the state for too long here is a link to a 1 sided moose vs man encounter :

https://www.denverpost.com/2006/03/...ld former,friends and hospital officials said.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My first encounter with a moose was up in northern Maine snowmobiling. Nothing like coming around a corner doing 60 and staring down a 1200 lb bull moose right in the middle of the trail! :surprised: No reverse on that sled but you never saw a 150 lb guy jump off and 180 his machine so fast in your life.
Yeah I was snowmobiling up north of Grand Lake in CO - lots of trails and road as well as moose(s) up that way and I was cruising down a road, not going very fast and got a premonition that I was being followed and looked behind and saw 2 Moose(s) that were in full stride and it appeared they were trying to catch me to stomp me so not wanting to find out their motive I opened throttle and got out of there. One more moose story that hunters might enjoy - was elk hunting on the Cannibal Plateau in CO and came across the game warden - knew him from prior yrs, anyways he checks our license and I inquire about other hunter's luck - we hadn't seen any game , he replies I saw a few camps with elk hung up, but the there was a camp with hunters from NC that eagerly welcomed him into their camp to show off their big elk - and they had a moose strung up, the game warden said he couldn't believe it. I asked what he did - he seized all their rifles, wrote them up and called for a truck to get their "elk" his only comment was that it would be the mostly costly elk they would ever shoot, incredible but it can be crazy out there .

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yeah I was snowmobiling up north of Grand Lake in CO - lots of trails and road as well as moose(s) up that way and I was cruising down a road, not going very fast and got a premonition that I was being followed and looked behind and saw 2 Moose(s) that were in full stride and it appeared they were trying to catch me to stomp me so not wanting to find out their motive I opened throttle and got out of there. One more moose story that hunters might enjoy - was elk hunting on the Cannibal Plateau in CO and came across the game warden - knew him from prior yrs, anyways he checks our license and I inquire about other hunter's luck - we hadn't seen any game , he replies I saw a few camps with elk hung up, but the there was a camp with hunters from NC that eagerly welcomed him into their camp to show off their big elk - and they had a moose strung up, the game warden said he couldn't believe it. I asked what he did - he seized all their rifles, wrote them up and called for a truck to get their "elk" his only comment was that it would be the mostly costly elk they would ever shoot, incredible but it can be crazy out there .
Yeah as soon as I seen/heard him snort I was like "see ya" and GTFO as fast as I could. lol Seeing them on tv or in pictures don't due it any justice to their size.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah as soon as I seen/heard him snort I was like "see ya" and GTFO as fast as I could. lol Seeing them on tv or in pictures don't due it any justice to their size.
yeah and get too close and you might discover they are not at all docile easy going creatures.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
yeah and get too close and you might discover they are not at all docile easy going creatures.
My buddies warned me beforehand about this. They've been going up there for several years and it was my second year there. You never know if their young ones are nearby and don't want to stick around to find out.

They are some goofy looking animals though when you see them up close. Tall skinny legs and a huge body and rack you wonder how they can carry all that weight?

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I'm going to tell one on me so you won't think I'm all full of myself as a biologist. First off, I'm a quail biologist (upland game birds) not a big game biologist....although I would consider myself fairly expert with White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus). Other than that species, I have only lived in Colorado for 3 years and only have 3 years experience dealing with these other large ungulates. Anyway, 2 summers ago I was scouting for my first elk season in Colorado. My wife is my scouting partner (she was my wildlife technician in Grad School). So we find this area where a fairly young but very large bull moose likes to hang out along a river. Several weeks later we had a friend of my son-in-law up for a week and took him out to look at wildlife. Mind you old Papaw here just got a new Nikon Monarch 2000 laser rangefinder and was just itching to try it out. We end up in the area we had seen the moose and sure enough he's down by the river munching willows. I stop the truck and we all pile out. It's about 100 yards across a large meadow from the road to get where he is at. I'm leading the way and ranging this dude as we walk. Trying to stay out of his sight fully and moving right towards him. So to make it as short as possible...we end up all lined up across his front flank, me furthest to the right. You could just see this glimmer in his eye as we got closer. The last time I ranged him before he charged us we were.....14.4 yds away....lol. What a moron am I! Fortunately he only ran at us enough to get us away from him....whew! I would have been the one that lived. I was the only one of the 4 of us that moved the opposite direction he did:sunglasses:
Moral of this story....I can be a real idiot when given the opportunity and moose are really large animals that move very quickly!
We have a picture of this bull on the wall at home taken by my wife moments before he charged. You guys will laugh....you can almost see him winking at us....lol
I'll post a pic of it later....

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Look at him winking at us.....he's saying come on just a little closer you idiots :rockon:

IMG_1320.jpg

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
No...but I tell you what....that poor young man that is a childhood friend of our son-in-law that was visiting, we know him well his name is John Blackmon. Sadly I really think I scarred that boy for life with wildlife...no kidding...I feel bad:rockon:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Tracy Bowman....I need help getting the word out on this so I can maybe get it off the ground....thanks for the endorsement...lol
I’m rooting for you @txquailguy! Sounds like ya’ll will have a great time! I don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting a group together. These folks like adventures with their Rangers! :turkey:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nice pic - and since this thread was created by a gent from Texas - wife and I had just completed a hike in Glacier - from the Grinnell Glacier to the parking lot at going to the sun road and got hammered by an intense thunder storm, leaving us soaked but in the parking a lady ran up to us and pointed at the hill above the trail and excitedly said "did you see those longhorn sheep up there " I assumed she was from the lone star state.
Hi D,

Glacier is our most favorite National Park. Been there 5 times. We too encountered a thunderstorm on the Highline Trail some 7 miles into the trail. We huddled against a Rock Formation on the leeward side for quite a bit of time....still soaked to the bone from leg calf down to boots... Great memories. Alas, our hiking days are over.

Hike to Iceberg Lake also checked the Grizzly bear box. Momma Grizzly that we met on the trail. Was within three feet of her as I backed off slowly. This shot was take with my knees shaking...what an adrenaline rush.... I put me between her and Margie so Margie could back off first....
momma Grizzley.jpg

Also, Several encounters with mountain goats of which one joined us for lunch at Hidden Lake. So close but we did not flinch...

mountain goat.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I’m rooting for you @txquailguy! Sounds like ya’ll will have a great time! I don’t think you’ll have any trouble getting a group together. These folks like adventures with their Rangers! :turkey:
Well Tracy you need to drag your tail up here too......you'll love it! :clap:
We'll take good care of ya!!
Sponsored