Performance, Transmission, Bouncy ride, overall drivability

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
I love my Ranger and would not replace it with any other truck... setting quirks aside.. i think the ranger is the best looking/performing truck in its class. Ive owned it for a year and have 18,000 miles on

I will admit however that i am one of the complainers according to most of you. I did a ton of research and test drove my truck thoroughly. I noticed a FEW things right away like, for example;

The vibrations on take off and braking.. erratic shifting, that water/ refrigerant sloshing noise behind the dash, and, my most recent annoyance, the fact that i cannot get the gas pump nozzle to stay in here in CA (although thats more CAs fault and not Fords fault).. these are all quirks, and in 20 years im going to be saying "shes done that since i bought her"

I very often get asked by random strangers how i like my truck... my answer is the same every time.. I love it!!
Sponsored

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
I previously owned A 2000 Cummins 2500 dodge. Truck was in pristine condition and had only 184,000mi when i sold it. Talk about quirks, however. Felt like you got kicked in the ass when the auto trans shifted into 2nd gear. Truck also rode like the axles were welded directly to the frame.

still drove it every day and enjoyed the hell out of it

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Just earlier today I went hiking in one of the Delaware State Parks and parked my 2019 Ranger next to a sparkling new Jeep Gladiator. This gave me the opportunity to compare the two and reflect on my choice of the Ranger. Would I trade my 2019 Ranger for the new Jeep? No way in the world, baby, I love this truck!

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
Just earlier today I went hiking in one of the Delaware State Parks and parked my 2019 Ranger next to a sparkling new Jeep Gladiator. This gave me the opportunity to compare the two and reflect on my choice of the Ranger. Would I trade my 2019 Ranger for the new Jeep? No way in the world, baby, I love this truck!
My friend has a gladiator... tells me all the time he wishes he could trade it for a ranger

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
Coming from a 94 super cab 4.0, with 386,000 miles on it, I put 300,000 of those miles on it. This new Ranger would run circles around it. It rides much better, even before the Ford/Fox leveling kit. I can't say there is anything I really dislike about it, but I've only driven trucks. My climbing buddy has an 18 Taco and is blown away at how much nicer the Ranger is, and that he also spent almost 10K more. People that complain about the G5 Ranger must have not have been driving a truck.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
My take on it:

I only test drove the Ranger. I wasn't cross shopping the class as thi purchase was more of a want than a need, and I was focused on the Ranger due to liking the design from seeing it overseas. When I test drove it I found it comfortable and responsive, but immediately keyed in on the engine sound as crap. It's a minor issue in my opinion, but I used it as an excuse to escape from the dealership after dealing with their high pressure tactics. As for road feel, I like it. It feels like a truck! I have only experienced one instance where I was unhappy with the ride quality. I drove over an expansion strip on an overpass that was under construction at highway speed and the truck got severely unsettled.

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
To expand on expansion joints...

There’s one part of my commute where I run over a nice joint while going around a bend... Ive learned to slow down for it.. at +60 the rear end of my ranger will hop.. I have the FX4 package.

NOT A COMPLAINT.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Drove the Ranger, Tacoma, Canyon & Colorado. Didn't consider the Honda because I needed to tow. The Tacoma's seat and driving position was unacceptable, and long trips would have been miserable. I was unimpressed by the ride and highway handling of the Canyon & Colorado. And the price for a fitted-out Canyon was absurd. I thought the Ranger's comfort and highway handling were superior, and my wife liked the interior.

DEAC25

First Name
Bub
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Govt
Drove the Ranger, Tacoma, Canyon & Colorado. Didn't consider the Honda because I needed to tow. The Tacoma's seat and driving position was unacceptable, and long trips would have been miserable. I was unimpressed by the ride and highway handling of the Canyon & Colorado. And the price for a fitted-out Canyon was absurd. I thought the Ranger's comfort and highway handling were superior, and my wife liked the interior.
This was me. Although my daily driver was a 2016 Taurus, and the Ranger was to replace a 94 Silverado with loads of miles and a need for a new transmission. The Ranger is now my daily.

Consideration was given that my better half is a 5’2” Korean who needed a pole vault to get in the full size trucks (Yu Na Kim jump and spin jokes may have been made) and that led me to look at mid size. She drives the truck as needed. I drove a Tacoma-6 cyl, poor power and tight cab, Colorado-6 cyl, fine ride but just meh and a Honda Ridgeline. Honda had a nice ride, solid power, but the height and tow were turn offs, and needed AWD to sniff the others. I did like the big back seats and loved that bed trunk.

Then I test drove a Ranger XLT, loved it, shopped around and found a low miles (16500) 19 Lariat. Love it when I punch it and my not insubstantial self gets pushed back in the seat! A little bouncy, but it’s a truck.
Related thread note: I drive hard, get through traffic just like my Taurus and get around 20 mpg. I LOVE the Ranger. Problem is it wants things. I barely escaped from the Leonard Shop today with my wallet (and a catalog!)

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
This was me. Although my daily driver was a 2016 Taurus, and the Ranger was to replace a 94 Silverado with loads of miles and a need for a new transmission. The Ranger is now my daily.

Consideration was given that my better half is a 5’2” Korean who needed a pole vault to get in the full size trucks (Yu Na Kim jump and spin jokes may have been made) and that led me to look at mid size. She drives the truck as needed. I drove a Tacoma-6 cyl, poor power and tight cab, Colorado-6 cyl, fine ride but just meh and a Honda Ridgeline. Honda had a nice ride, solid power, but the height and tow were turn offs, and needed AWD to sniff the others. I did like the big back seats and loved that bed trunk.

Then I test drove a Ranger XLT, loved it, shopped around and found a low miles (16500) 19 Lariat. Love it when I punch it and my not insubstantial self gets pushed back in the seat! A little bouncy, but it’s a truck.
Related thread note: I drive hard, get through traffic just like my Taurus and get around 20 mpg. I LOVE the Ranger. Problem is it wants things. I barely escaped from the Leonard Shop today with my wallet (and a catalog!)
I needed a truck, and as with most people, if your other half does not like it, no sense in getting it. I did not like the Ridgeline, it is a car in the shape of a truck. Did not like the Tacoma as everyone complains about their legs being straight out to use the pedals. My wife did not like the GM Twins as they did not have the safety features that she has grown accustomed in her SHO. I did not even consider the Ranger because there was not an option for a 6-cyl. But she convinced me to look at it anyway. I let her test drive it, and she loved it. I even rode in the back seat when she test drove it and it was alright, but I loved all of the features. I just wish that some items were options at the time I bought it, but I still love my Ranger.

Deleted member 1634

I've found that lately I've been loving the ride of my XLT FX4! I'll agree with a lot of people that it was "jarring" at first, especially coming from a Subaru Crosstrek. But over time I've come to love the ride. It's a bit bouncy and rocky, but I find it to be smooth and gradual and not harsh and hard. So instead of a smack to my back over a big bump it's more of a push. So there's less shock to my system. Anyways, just something I became conscious of this morning pulling out of the driveway heading to work and thought I'd share.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Im in the habit of having the trans in Drive when on the highway and in Sport when in city or out in the Hills.

OP
OP

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
On the open road interstate and state highways I love the way it drives. It feels like it sticks in the lane. I do not have to correct direction. Easy two finger driving. I also have set my lane assist to the highest and I’m afraid I am getting spoiled.
Sponsored