Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Hello,
Purchased a 2020 Ranger Lariat fx4 from the dealership. I had the d was let put a tow hitch package on the truck. I ordered a ford brand tow receiver and had the dealership perform the install.
when I picked up the truck they mentioned breaking a small piece of plastic trim on the bumper which they would replace. Ugh.
Next I drove about 50 feet and received several errors on display screens. See below pictures.
At the end of the day, dealer is looking into it. They say nothing they did would have caused this. My sensor are no longer wired into the harness and the harness is gone. The dealer is reporting I may never had that feature.
I know I did.
How can I explain to the dealer they messed up?
How can I contact Ford to report this negligence?
Anyone with help, THANKS.

A0803B8E-32F6-41E0-AC4A-A0F225DAA253.jpeg

4023AFBE-DE13-46EE-91BF-B02745FF8E2E.jpeg

59EECD3C-CF5C-4756-A689-EE04F46817E1.jpeg

1F8D7CEB-CAC5-42FB-ADEC-2C86F7A15C1C.png

B7140FC2-EF2B-45FF-BCE0-6D7E2817199C.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Those are Not mine. Sorry to be confusing. It’s the only image I could find to show the harness.
the truck per manufacturer has the parking sensor feature installed at factory.At test drive it was a feature they showed and talked about. For the week I drove it the system was working properly.
As far as where mine are, I have no idea. The four sensors in the bumper have no harness attached. I looked under the bumper. There are four UNHOOKED sensors.
the dealership said “ maybe mine didn’t have that” and they also said that the hitch receiver package they put on “ wouldn’t have involved that equipment”.
Currently I have a new loaner while they look. However this is about the fifth issue that I’ve had with them and this truck in under two weeks.
there is also a check engine light that comes on at fuel fill ups. that’s another issue.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Do you have another dealer in your area? If so I would bring it there and have them take a look at it seeing as yours is incompetent. I think RP is right,someone tossed the harness and won't admit they screwed up as it was working for the week you were driving it. I would not want them doing anything else to my truck if this is how they operate!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
If your dealer is not interested in making your truck whole again, the Ford organization would like to hear about it. Go as high up as you have to to get satisfaction. The higher-ups understand that this kind of negligence from dealers produces negative publicity that hurts the whole organization.

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
my guess is they removed it to install the hitch because it may have been in the way...but then jethro the shop apprentice tossed it in the trash thinking it was garbage and they arent professional enough to admit they fucked up.
That’s what I think but they are stand offish which is very offensive.
mill let everyone know what happens next.
I am gonna write Ford Corp and see what they say.

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Do you have another dealer in your area? If so I would bring it there and have them take a look at it seeing as yours is incompetent. I think RP is right,someone tossed the harness and won't admit they screwed up as it was working for the week you were driving it. I would not want them doing anything else to my truck if this is how they operate!
That’s how I feel. Just admit you f&cked up and fix it.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Call Ford's customer service, and lodge a complaint. You just might be surprised as what happens!

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Call Ford's customer service, and lodge a complaint. You just might be surprised as what happens!
I spent half an hour on chat with Ford. Not very much hope beyond someone else knowing. Thanks for the guidance.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
The dealer's attitude about this makes no sense. Lariats comes with sensors. If there's no harness there, somebody messed up. Keep hounding them and Ford CS. Somebody's going to eventually have to make this right.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Did you get the actual Ford tow package kit or did your dealer just sub an aftermarket hitch. The factory hitch is actually part of the rear bumper mount and has different lower trim piece that allows the hitch to tuck higher under the bumper. The whole bumper and mount needs to be removed to install it. Did you also get the factory 4-7 pin connector in the bumper. If you didn't get this also, installing a brake controller will be problematic. There is another thread on this forum where they installed a aftermarket 7 pin adaptor and the payed the dealer to install the Ford TBC and it didn't work because the aftermarket plug didn't tie the brake and 12 V supply into the factory harness. They may also need to go into the BCM and enable some of the tow options. Go to a dealer and compare the back of your truck with one on the lot that has the factory tow package. Also make sure the hitch has a sticker on it rating it for 7500# trailer and 750# tongue weight. If not you only got a class III and not the class IV hitch.

Don't let you dealer tell you that you didn't have the park assist feature. If the switch is there and sensors are there you have it. Wouldn't have gotten the warnings either. I would need to look at mine to see if the sensors are part of the harness for the 7 pin plug.

Sorry to get wordy, but towing is a serious business and you want all the tools you can to make it safe. With all the tech in our trucks it knows when a trailer is plugged in and disables those sensors and adjusts the blind spot sensors. Just plugging in a tailgate bar to the 4 pin messes that up.

Either way Ford needs to hear about this. Those sensors are part of the safety features of the truck. (cross traffic warning and pedestrian warning) they need to fix it.

Hope you get this straightened out so you can enjoy your truck as much as the rest of us. And, find a new dealer it shouldn't be this hard.

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
The dealer's attitude about this makes no sense. Lariats comes with sensors. If there's no harness there, somebody messed up. Keep hounding them and Ford CS. Somebody's going to eventually have to make this right.
I believe you and agree fully. I’m hoping someone with half a brain steps up.

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Did you get the actual Ford tow package kit or did your dealer just sub an aftermarket hitch. The factory hitch is actually part of the rear bumper mount and has different lower trim piece that allows the hitch to tuck higher under the bumper. The whole bumper and mount needs to be removed to install it. Did you also get the factory 4-7 pin connector in the bumper. If you didn't get this also, installing a brake controller will be problematic. There is another thread on this forum where they installed a aftermarket 7 pin adaptor and the payed the dealer to install the Ford TBC and it didn't work because the aftermarket plug didn't tie the brake and 12 V supply into the factory harness. They may also need to go into the BCM and enable some of the tow options. Go to a dealer and compare the back of your truck with one on the lot that has the factory tow package. Also make sure the hitch has a sticker on it rating it for 7500# trailer and 750# tongue weight. If not you only got a class III and not the class IV hitch.

Don't let you dealer tell you that you didn't have the park assist feature. If the switch is there and sensors are there you have it. Wouldn't have gotten the warnings either. I would need to look at mine to see if the sensors are part of the harness for the 7 pin plug.

Sorry to get wordy, but towing is a serious business and you want all the tools you can to make it safe. With all the tech in our trucks it knows when a trailer is plugged in and disables those sensors and adjusts the blind spot sensors. Just plugging in a tailgate bar to the 4 pin messes that up.

Either way Ford needs to hear about this. Those sensors are part of the safety features of the truck. (cross traffic warning and pedestrian warning) they need to fix it.

Hope you get this straightened out so you can enjoy your truck as much as the rest of us. And, find a new dealer it shouldn't be this hard.
Not too wordy.
I requested the ford brand from the ford accessory catalog. Maybe I should have been a little more thorough but assumed they would add the factory.
Yes, I asked about the weights that it’s capable of towing and they reassured me this was class III at 7500#. Didn’t ask about tongue amount.
I am most certainly worried about the whole operation now!
I hadn’t even thought about computer adjustments.
Hope I haven’t made a terrible start out of the gate with my new purchase.
My new checklist is
1. make sure sensors are hooked up
2. Make sure all wiring works for truck and to an attached trailer. (Brakes, turns and running lights)
3. Get plastic trim fixed
4. Make sure this is whole thing isn’t a new money pit of problems.
I’m so upset this is happening at a major dealership.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Only two possibilities here:
1) The dealership removed the harness during the hitch install. If this is the case, it's their responsibility to fix it.
2) Ford factory messed up building your truck (while unlikely that they would forget to put in the harness, there haven been a few ridiculous build mistakes reported here and there on this forum). If this is the case, dealer should be fixing it and sending the bill to Ford.

That's it. There is no possible explanation here that does not involve the dealer fixing your truck at no cost to you.

OP
OP
Shortbed

Shortbed

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Lol, the dealer's story is that Ford put in sensors and a sensor control button but not the wire? How stupid do they think you are?
I felt very offended when they made the suggestion that the new hitch work wouldn’t have caused this issue. And even more when they suggested I didn’t have this extra.
I will find out more tomorrow. Thanks.
Sponsored