Opinions on Transit Connect, Promaster City?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I'm thinking of getting one in the used market. I want a small cargo van, decent room but mpg for road tripping. Like a mini-camper. Most are very high miles (being vans) so it needs to be reliable. I know the 1st gen Transit Connect wasn't very good. 2nd gen seems much better and the GDI engine should be more reliable (though slower) than the ecoboost.

I add the Promaster just cause in the used market it is way more ubiquitous, and a little cheaper. Transit Connects are pretty rare especially in cargo form. Just wondering if anyone had one or used one for work.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I've thought about doing the same. Make a mini camper out of it and hit the road.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've thought about doing the same. Make a mini camper out of it and hit the road.
From reviews I've read the Transit is a better ride then the Promaster. It's basically a Ford Focus, but that car also had transmission issues...

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of getting one in the used market. I want a small cargo van, decent room but mpg for road tripping. Like a mini-camper. Most are very high miles (being vans) so it needs to be reliable. I know the 1st gen Transit Connect wasn't very good. 2nd gen seems much better and the GDI engine should be more reliable (though slower) than the ecoboost.

I add the Promaster just cause in the used market it is way more ubiquitous, and a little cheaper. Transit Connects are pretty rare especially in cargo form. Just wondering if anyone had one or used one for work.
We have a Transit Connect. We did our research when we bought it...stay away from the ProMaster.
It is a 2021 with very low miles and due to lifestyle changes, I am trying to convince my wife to sell it. (not sure that will happen). We are very happy with it. This one is the longer version and has the side grated windows. What state are you in? If you have any specific questions about the Transit Connect...go for it!
van2.jpg

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 IS XLT SC , '22 OW BBB 2Dr , '15 PB TC SWB
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Got a 2015 XLT SWB in Aug of 2015. 96k on it now, no major problems, just life. Still going strong and do a little maintenance and upgrades each year. Amazing how much room is in it and what I can get in it. Here was day 1, Love my little 1.6L Turbo OVERWEIGHT Focus. - Beat a Tesla 3 up the on-ramp the other day! 🤣 :cool:;) 🤓

2015 Transit.jpg

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
and... we will likely sell it (That will be a very sad day) when the Transit Trail we want to order for our #VanLife gets here in whatever year Ford decides to make them.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have a Transit Connect. We did our research when we bought it...stay away from the ProMaster.
It is a 2021 with very low miles and due to lifestyle changes, I am trying to convince my wife to sell it. (not sure that will happen). We are very happy with it. This one is the longer version and has the side grated windows. What state are you in? If you have any specific questions about the Transit Connect...go for it!
van2.jpg
Nice. Does it have a lot of road noise? Drives like a large Focus I suppose? Any reason to go with one engine over the other?

Mainly I am just concerned with issues I might encounter on a used 100K+ mile used transit. Oh and I am in Missouri.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
and... we will likely sell it (That will be a very sad day) when the Transit Trail we want to order for our #VanLife gets here in whatever year Ford decides to make them.
Wow I didn't know about that. Lifted and AWD van is pretty cool, like a new Quigley. Good to know the Connect is solid to 100k at least.

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Does it have a lot of road noise? Drives like a large Focus I suppose? Any reason to go with one engine over the other?

Mainly I am just concerned with issues I might encounter on a used 100K+ mile used transit. Oh and I am in Missouri.
The road noise is not bad at all, like any car. My Ranger and Bronco have as much if not more. If you are adding a lot to it (weight), you may want the larger engine. My concern would be 100K miles. That is a lot. Good luck in your search and decisions. This one is out here in Oregon and not sure my wife will part with it but we need to downsize in vehicles.

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
I had a Promaster that would burn a quart of oil in a couple thousand Km’s. Brought it to the dealer who told me they all do that. Early on the key was stuck in the ignition. Waited months for a new lock cylinder to come from Italy. Have a Transit now with 130km on it. Started buckling under load a few months ago. Thought it was the tranny. Today the CEL illuminated. Received alert on the Ford app. “Egr issue” No more bucking.

1pt21gw

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ye' Ole Traveler
Road noise? Only if it is empty. I threw a dynamat pad and bedbug mat down to help, but with seats and stuff, actually pretty quiet. Mine has an interior, just don't have a 3rd row.

I am similar to @OregonRangerTremor, have a Ranger and a Bronco as well.

The Ranger is the Quietest, the Transit is in the middle, and the Bronco is the loudest due to the hardtop, and the fact it is a box rolling down the road. 🤣

You might hurry. They are/were made in Spain and I have heard that due to those costs they are not going to make the Transit Connects any more. Although I am sure that could change.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The road noise is not bad at all, like any car. My Ranger and Bronco have as much if not more. If you are adding a lot to it (weight), you may want the larger engine. My concern would be 100K miles. That is a lot. Good luck in your search and decisions. This one is out here in Oregon and not sure my wife will part with it but we need to downsize in vehicles.
100k isn't much if you know what you're in for. Like an old truck, just be prepared to have to fix some things...as long as it's nothing major. I suppose I'll end up watching youtube videos on Transit engine repairs to see what to expect.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Wow I didn't know about that. Lifted and AWD van is pretty cool, like a new Quigley. Good to know the Connect is solid to 100k at least.
No. Nothing like a Quigley.
AWD not 4WD.
The Transit AWD has proven to be problematic when pushed hard. Computer shuts you down to save the drive train from overheating. Clutches in the center differential or 'transfer case' if you prefer.

OP
OP
MountainGoat

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about a sprinter? Or are those a lot more expensive?
Yeah way more expensive and much bigger. The transit is like a mini-cargo van built on a Focus platform. Mercedes has a downsized Sprinter called the Metris that is sorta like the Transit but it's rare especially on the used market.
Sponsored