JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Exactly...
I could see that as a fun hobby, I have a drone and RC boat now. Do you need a license for the planes? I found out I need one for my drone cause of the size. I guess each state has different rules. Easy to get a drone license online.
Yes, the same license/registration as the drone. See if there is an RC airplane club and in your area and then pay them a visit. LOL, I'll warn you now, RC airplanes have a habit of multiplying like crazy in the garage. My wife commonly complains about how there seem to be more planes in the garage than the last time she complained.

OP
OP
JimG_AZ

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Well, a few hours before the Super Bowl, I sold my 2011 Tacoma for $21k. i had promised my wife that I would get over $20k for it and we targeted $21.5k. Once someone showed up with a solid $21k offer, I took it. But now this leads to a very interesting discussion topic. WTF was the Ford dealer thinking when they offered $15k for it and held firm? They tried to justify the $15k offer by:
  1. They would have to do all sorts of reconditioning to it - About the only reconditioning that would have been done was a wash, minor detail, and an oil change.
  2. The vehicle was 11 years and they would have trouble qualifying buyers for a loan. They would need a buyer with a significant down payment - Yes there is some truth to this. Some banks do not loan on vehicles that are 10 years or older. But I am not buying it for a second that a dealers finance guy could not get qualified buyers financed on a 11-year-old truck. Let face the fact that they have financing resources that most individuals do not have.
  3. Vehicles that have over 100k miles are very difficult to sell - Okay, the Tacoma has 102,700 miles on it. Maybe this was true in the 70's and 80's, but in modern times. So from looking at the info on OfferUp, I had 1466 views and 16 conversations. This was listed 4 nights ago.
I usually try to trade in vehicles, and I usually end up bringing them home and selling them on the street. But typically the dealer ends up coming in @ $2k under my bottom line. In this case, we were targeting $5000 - $6500 more than they were offering. Plus they had the advantage of using the sales tax break on a trade-in to their favor. Due to the tax break, a $19,500 offer would have netted me close to $21,000. I could have seen them holding firm in the $18k range, where they would have made a nice profit on the trade, if I had agreed to it. But I am baffled that they left this much money on the table.

Reactions: Doc

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
The biggest issue is likely the age. A car loan on a vehicle over 5 years reduces the term or increases the interest rate (typically). Buying a vehicle that was a bit older, and a bit higher KM was like speculating. They just weren’t all that interested.
Glad you had a quick sale and are happy with the terms.

VTRanger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT SuperCrew
Well, a few hours before the Super Bowl, I sold my 2011 Tacoma for $21k. i had promised my wife that I would get over $20k for it and we targeted $21.5k. Once someone showed up with a solid $21k offer, I took it. But now this leads to a very interesting discussion topic. WTF was the Ford dealer thinking when they offered $15k for it and held firm? They tried to justify the $15k offer by:
  1. They would have to do all sorts of reconditioning to it - About the only reconditioning that would have been done was a wash, minor detail, and an oil change.
  2. The vehicle was 11 years and they would have trouble qualifying buyers for a loan. They would need a buyer with a significant down payment - Yes there is some truth to this. Some banks do not loan on vehicles that are 10 years or older. But I am not buying it for a second that a dealers finance guy could not get qualified buyers financed on a 11-year-old truck. Let face the fact that they have financing resources that most individuals do not have.
  3. Vehicles that have over 100k miles are very difficult to sell - Okay, the Tacoma has 102,700 miles on it. Maybe this was true in the 70's and 80's, but in modern times. So from looking at the info on OfferUp, I had 1466 views and 16 conversations. This was listed 4 nights ago.
I usually try to trade in vehicles, and I usually end up bringing them home and selling them on the street. But typically the dealer ends up coming in @ $2k under my bottom line. In this case, we were targeting $5000 - $6500 more than they were offering. Plus they had the advantage of using the sales tax break on a trade-in to their favor. Due to the tax break, a $19,500 offer would have netted me close to $21,000. I could have seen them holding firm in the $18k range, where they would have made a nice profit on the trade, if I had agreed to it. But I am baffled that they left this much money on the table.
I would say it's the age and mileage like others mentioned, but they did the same to me on a 2019 WRX with 13K miles on it. They started at $23K and I was like - no way, give me my keys back, and I walked out. I returned from talking to my wife on the phone outside and eventually after showing them another offer for $25,500 they matched it. Then they ended up just selling it off to another dealer.

I guess they are on the phone finding a buyer while you are sitting there waiting for a quote?

Someone mentioned to me that you can still get the tax break even if you don't trade it in, not sure how that works though.

OP
OP
JimG_AZ

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
The first offer I received on my Tacoma was from a local used car lot for $20k pending an on-site appraisal. I turned it down, so I never made it to the point of having them look at it.
Sponsored