Off-road trip full of surprises

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Otay Truck Trail was the first excursion for my truck last year soon after I brought it home. It allowed my to try out some of the more technical side trails to see how well it climbed some of the real rocky tougher stuff. I was fairly impressed. It's easy to lose track of where you are at with the various forks in the road.

I entered at Pio Pico and exited at the Alta Gate. The gate was locked and I was exploring my options to go around and down the steep bank to the road when Border Patrol showed up to unlock the gate and exit. I immediately whipped around and went through the gate with him.

I would not consider taking that route at night during the current border crisis we are in right now though. Great pics!
Sponsored

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
What are you hunting Eli, farmers? Man, Texas sure is flat - I swear I can see Oklahoma in the background.
That bugged the shit out of me when I went through basic at Lackland, where are the mountains, we have mountains at home, you guys don't even have hills here? WTF?:LOL:

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Thanks for the thread and pics. Better than the often repeated mpg or lift question. (Those are ok to read also, but yours is better)

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That bugged the shit out of me when I went through basic at Lackland, where are the mountains, we have mountains at home, you guys don't even have hills here? WTF?:LOL:
Mountains are in the North East Riverside or San Bernardino County, mountains through the desert out there.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Sounds like an exciting trip! Well heres my off road 4x2 adventure. Both tires spin!! No locker! Tracction control off, abs does all the rest so the tires spin! Both sides. Hope to make it out. Thats how i got in. Rain orshine. Im hunting

20210912_132345.jpg

20210912_132332.jpg
Beautiful pictures. Thank you Eli. Hope you had a good hunt. Your tires even if it spun, that’s not the easiest with how wet and muddy it is. Love seeing Rangers in action.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Otay Truck Trail was the first excursion for my truck last year soon after I brought it home. It allowed my to try out some of the more technical side trails to see how well it climbed some of the real rocky tougher stuff. I was fairly impressed. It's easy to lose track of where you are at with the various forks in the road.

I entered at Pio Pico and exited at the Alta Gate. The gate was locked and I was exploring my options to go around and down the steep bank to the road when Border Patrol showed up to unlock the gate and exit. I immediately whipped around and went through the gate with him.

I would not consider taking that route at night during the current border crisis we are in right now though. Great pics!
I heard of the option to just go around the fence. Although it was night, there’s a large fence line around the gate. I wonder if the steep bank to cross down and hop onto the road is still there. Glad you put your ranger to the test when you got it, quite the fun little trail.

The BP seem friendly enough to open the gate, perhaps not my particular heavier activity night or the guy I got wasn’t the most fortunate. Thanks for the comment on the pics Shea!

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Thanks for the thread and pics. Better than the often repeated mpg or lift question. (Those are ok to read also, but yours is better)
Anytime I can provide a good read I try. Appreciate the comment Joe. :bow:

MyK9_8it

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USMC Veteran, current Secret Squirrel
I was stationed in Yuma years ago, used to run into the BP guys on the range early in the morning when heading out on demo ops. They were usually sleeping in their patrol trucks! ?

Brandon, Your a good friend for helping your buddy out!? I agree that the BP are just doing their job and most are nice and very friendly, even on the MX side. There's a BP stop in Yuma and they scan your vehicle and ask if you have anything illegal in it. Last time I said "just her" and pointed at my gf (she's MX) and he lol talked for a bit and was really cool.

I've never run into them out here in the desert, it must of been cool ( and a little scary) when they jumped out in their bush camo. Good memories there and glad you didn't run into a pack of illegals but I would guess they're just as scared and would hide and not bother you. Especially seeing all those stickers they'd think you were under cover BP. :stop: :bandit:

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I was stationed in Yuma years ago, used to run into the BP guys on the range early in the morning when heading out on demo ops. They were usually sleeping in their patrol trucks! ?
Haha. I would imagine. When I go on this trail, they group up in sets of 3-4 SUV's parked facing the sunset. I swear it's like a vacation when they aren't scramming around. :sun:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a photo approaching the border check station north of S. Padre Island, Tx taken a few years ago.. It's all private property, the King Ranch, on either side of the highway for miles. Some vehicles received the full search with dogs etc.
Border station.jpeg

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Here's a photo approaching the border check station north of S. Padre Island, Tx taken a few years ago.. It's all private property, the King Ranch, on either side of the highway for miles. Some vehicles received the full search with dogs etc.
Border station.jpeg
Thanks for the pic Doug, cool to see more of what goes on around other places.
Sponsored