First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I was told that since odometers became digital, that mileage while in Neutral Tow would not add miles to the odometer. But, my 2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew is adding towed miles. Was I told wrong or is there something I am missing?
Sponsored

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
I wonder why it would NOT show mileage. Still most of the wear and tear on the vehicle.
If you are following ford's instructions you were told wrong.

OP
OP
First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat
Occupation
Retired

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
See paragraph Cars Manufactured Post-2000 (Electronic Odometer)
at this link (as one example) https://beginrv.com/towing-car-behind-rv/#6-cars-manufactured-post-2000-electronic-odometer-
According to the article, towing a 4x4 with the transfer case in Neutral shouldn't add miles since the transmission isn't turning. Possibly something has changed in newer vehicles.
If you don't mind crawling under it, you could disconnect the rear driveshaft (it's not hard to do), rig up a ratchet strap to hold it off the ground, and see if that works.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Still adding miles to axles and wheel bearings. As well as the joints in the driveshaft and all suspension components. So it's kind of a toss up whether the miles should be counted.

I personally would not want to buy one with 20k on it only to find out it was flat towed for 100k extra. It would be due a full front end rebuild. So i would like the miles to add up for the rest of us to know what we could be buying used.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
Still adding miles to axles and wheel bearings. As well as the joints in the driveshaft and all suspension components. So it's kind of a toss up whether the miles should be counted.

I personally would not want to buy one with 20k on it only to find out it was flat towed for 100k extra. It would be due a full front end rebuild. So i would like the miles to add up for the rest of us to know what we could be buying used.
My point exactly.
But I would pay more for a 100,000 towed vehicle than driven vehicle. The engine would be hardly broken in.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
My 2021 XLT does NOT add miles to the odometer while being flat towed, neither did my previous toad, a 2006 CRV. I do log all miles and do any bearing, brake, or suspension maintenance based on the combined mileage.

BillinPCB

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Miata, 2019 Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT, 2019 Ford F53 Motorhome
My 2019 XLT does not record miles when flat towing.
Sponsored