Rubbing noise when turning left. Tire wear.

mopower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I have a 2020 Ranger and I noticed in the past two weeks there is a loud rubbing noise when turning left and applying the brake. It sounds like a WAMP WAMP WAMP. It doesn't seem to happen when you don't apply the brake. It's coming from the front left. I turned the wheel and looked at the area and don't see where the tire is rubbing on anything.
I also noticed a lot of tire wear on the inner part of the tire. The first few inches of the inside tire tread is bald. The tread on the right tire is fine. It has been getting more frequent over the past few days.
I plan on calling the dealership today but wanted to see what others think it may be.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have this problem turning right at a decline and in general at full right turn. Stock suspension and tires.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 Ranger and I noticed in the past two weeks there is a loud rubbing noise when turning left and applying the brake. It sounds like a WAMP WAMP WAMP. It doesn't seem to happen when you don't apply the brake. It's coming from the front left. I turned the wheel and looked at the area and don't see where the tire is rubbing on anything.
I also noticed a lot of tire wear on the inner part of the tire. The first few inches of the inside tire tread is bald. The tread on the right tire is fine. It has been getting more frequent over the past few days.
I plan on calling the dealership today but wanted to see what others think it may be.
Check for loose lug nuts or broken wheel studs. If that's ok, check the wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. Jack up the left front and try wiggling the wheel. Truck is kinda new for these to be bad, but if you do any off-roading, there could have been water intrusion and subsequent corrosion or other damage.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco TS, 2008 Ranger XLT, 2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
I have the same problem when turning left on a decline. so I just went outside and checked for tire wear and noticed I do have a little wear on the inside left tire. I have not heard it since I washed the truck about a week ago. so I chalked it up to a dirty abs sensor. I have already talked to my dealership about this, but now when it goes into the dealership I will ask them about the tire wear also. Just maybe it might help them to locate this.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have the same problem when turning left on a decline. so I just went outside and checked for tire wear and noticed I do have a little wear on the inside left tire. I have not heard it since I washed the truck about a week ago. so I chalked it up to a dirty abs sensor. I have already talked to my dealership about this, but now when it goes into the dealership I will ask them about the tire wear also. Just maybe it might help them to locate this.
Really appreciate this reply as we have almost the same issue. Oddly enough when I got new tires the amount of sound decreased and frequency decreased like 80%. Got slightly taller tires, 265-65-18 from 265-60-18.

OP
OP

mopower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Sorry to be so late with a resolution but dealer said the toe in on the right wheel needs fixed. Basically a front end alignment. And new tires. This is a work provided vehicle and I drive on a lot of gravel roads with bad pot holes so I'm guessing that is what caused it.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Sorry to be so late with a resolution but dealer said the toe in on the right wheel needs fixed. Basically a front end alignment. And new tires. This is a work provided vehicle and I drive on a lot of gravel roads with bad pot holes so I'm guessing that is what caused it.
Don't be sorry, just glad you provided a solution for us folks! Will mention this at the dealer at 20k mile service.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
It sounds silly, but check your wheel well liners. Some of the plastic pop-rivets had come out on mine and it was dragging against the tire, especially while braking and low speed turns.
I am going to look now that you mentioned this. I did have the dealer in stall the front mud flaps, Have my appt on the 14th.

OP
OP

mopower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger

Spoke too soon. Started doing it again this week. Taking it back to the dealer. I think it has something to do with the brakes because it only makes the noise when I use the brakes and turn. Now it's starting to do it when I'm not turning. Calipers? Disc warped? Stay tuned.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Spoke too soon. Started doing it again this week. Taking it back to the dealer. I think it has something to do with the brakes because it only makes the noise when I use the brakes and turn. Now it's starting to do it when I'm not turning. Calipers? Disc warped? Stay tuned.
Good mention.. lately I’ve noticed it hasn’t happened but I think it’s because I’m not braking and turning as much as I used to. Going to test this out whenever I drive around.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
Got mine back from the dealership today they could not duplicate the left front noise. Which I could not either after I washed it, I just think mine was a dirty or dusty sensor. They also gave me a list on every ford make that's making a turbo squeak and said its normal. also I gave them a picture of my fuel gauge it was showing a little over 1/4 tank of gas and the low fuel light came on with 48 miles to empty. they told me that they could not find a code, I told them that I don't think it will show one till it actually runs out of gas. it took 16.2 gals of gas. so going to monitor this. Told me that when it does it again to bring it in right away and they will run a diagnostic on it. I'm like yea ok. I brought it in when it happened and you never did anything at that time. and now my blend doors blowing cold which was the original Issue. is on a vary long back order list. may never get it. This truck looks like its going to sit this winter out again. will make 2 winters in a row now. Looks like I'm driving my 08 ranger this winter, The heater works in it, lol Hope you all have better luck with the Left front noise than I did.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had this happen after I went to a fire road full or loose gravel. After I wash the breaks and around the tires it went away. Maybe a gravel got stuck on the rotor or break pads. It was only happening when I'm going up hill and turning right.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I had this happen after I went to a fire road full or loose gravel. After I wash the breaks and around the tires it went away. Maybe a gravel got stuck on the rotor or break pads. It was only happening when I'm going up hill and turning right.
It does it every so often, that might be the case. Sometimes after a good wash it won't happen.
Sponsored