First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Re-arching the main leaf spring, of a spring pack, using a press brake, has been done since the 1920's successfullly. Ours is a mono leaf, but if you think about it... every leaf spring has that same design of one continuous spring. The other springs in the pack don't have the eye.
For sure.

But if that re-arching weakens the metal enough to eventually crack the main spring of a multipack you have a bit of insurance.

With our mono-leaf you don't have the other leafs and retainers to help keep things together.

Just not something I would do on a monoleaf.

People have been hacking coils off of coil springs for decades too. Doesn't make it a good idea.
Sponsored

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen this happen before on springs that haven't been re-arched. I'm not too awfully thrilled with these springs, and ended up with an add-a-leaf kit on mine that will hopefully help. I've seen reports of this happening to other trucks and hope it doesn't happen to mine!
2021-04-10 09.15.33.jpg

OP
OP
SOHK_Alumni

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
And now I'm 2 for 2. Other re-arched spring failed today.

Again, clearly visible mfg flaw was the initial point of failure.

About 1" closer to the spring arch In a location where very little work would have been done during the re-arch.

Still, I don't think there's any doubt the re-arching is likely a key player in the failures as the overload leafs don't take weight as quickly.

I'd left the overloads as is, just flipped them so their original reverse arch would better follow the arch. Had hoped to ease the harshness of the ride.
20210707_165747.jpg

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The circled area is almost certainly the point of failure and caused by a stress crack. This could be from heat treatment to tempering. See it happen from time to time in high carbon hardened steel.
20210707_165747.jpg
Sponsored