NOOB exhaust question

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
So I'm really thinking of that 1" restriction in the stock muffler now!!! Has anyone replaced the muffler only? I wonder what difference that would make?? I love the sound clips from the Flowmaster post - https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/flowmaster-flowfx-cat-back-exhaust-system.4733/ - honestly the best sounding I've heard to date! But! If one doesn't care to alter the sound too much one would think replacing just the muffler would be a benefit.........
I don't see why it wouldn't help, unless there's some sort of similar restriction in the resonator.
Sponsored

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see why it wouldn't help, unless there's some sort of similar restriction in the resonator.
Well, that'd be an easy fix! :thumbsup::fistbump::beer:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
People...dont delete the resonator... the performance gain is with the muffler delete. Otherwise go to a performance exhaust system. I got 388 lb/ft torque with just a muffler delete and conservative tune...more torque than my 69 SS 396 chevelle.
Regards
Doc

Last edited:

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
People...dont delete the resonator... the performance gain is with the muffler delete. Otherwise go to a performance exhaust system. I got 388 lb/ft torque with just a muffler delete and conservative tune...more torque than my 69 SS 396 chevelle.
Regards
Doc
This! This is what I thought. Simple tune and treating the OEM asthma!

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Regards
Doc
+1 This. Don’t waste your time. Resonators (unless they have a serious design flaw) do not block exhaust flow. I’ve seen “silenced” muffler delete builds that were just a series of differently sized cheap resonators instead of an expensive high flow muffler. Basically someone at a muffler shop getting creative on a limited budget.

The muffler on the flowmaster catback looks a bit like a glorified resonator although I’m reasonably sure its more functional than that. The flowmaster is mandrel bent 3” so thats great but Im not sure how it compares to stock. I’ve had a crap-tonne of snow so I haven’t yet crawled under the truck to check the pipe diameter at the bends in the stock exhaust to see if they’re actually a restrictive crush bend.

The Ford Performance Exhaust looks to basically just be a borla muffler, tailpipe, and an exhaust tip

If the stock bends are ok my solution will probably be swinging by a muffler shop to swap the plugged up stock muffler and maybe get fancy with a bolt on exhaust tip. Cheap, easy, and always legal (some states and provinces get their panties in a twist if they think your exhaust is not stock)

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello....I'm getting a lot of good info off here an I have a question I haven't really found a straight answer to. I'm not looking to drag race my Ranger but I wouldn't mind finding a few ponies here an there an wouldn't mind a change in exhaust note. Is there a performance increase from a cat back exhaust or just a change in sound? I've seen systems for under $300 to well over a grand. I'm looking at the tuners an tunes an will probably go with one sometime later this year an figured if I'm gonna change the exhaust I should probably do so before ordering a tune if it changes performance. I throw a lot of money at my Harley so the plan for the ranger is just a tune, maybe an exhaust an later on a leveling kit an 32" tires. My truck had the chrome wheels on it so I'll probably just stick with those. Thanks for any responses.

Free up your exhaust first.Then your intake. Just like you had your ride done. Decide if a tune is worth losing your warranty over should something happen.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Free up your exhaust first.Then your intake. Just like you had your ride done. Decide if a tune is worth losing your warranty over should something happen.
Yup, any mod can ruin your warranty if the mod caused the problem...even. 2” lift !
Regards

Magnaflow

First Name
Magnaflow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A quality catback system will free up power through the use of mandrel bent tubing, more gradual bends, larger tubing dia, and usually a freer-flowing muffler design. While not absolutely necessary, you can usually gain even more hp, too, when paired with a good intake and tune.

We currently offer a handful of bolt-on systems with single & dual tip styles that we designed using all the methods mentioned above for max power gains. You can see more about them here on our site:
https://www.magnaflow.com/collections/2020-ford-ranger-exhaust-systems

Like all MF products, they are made right here in the good old USA and come with a lifetime warranty against any defects! If we can answer any questions about them, please feel free to shoot us a DM!

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
A quality catback system will free up power through the use of mandrel bent tubing, more gradual bends, larger tubing dia, and usually a freer-flowing muffler design. While not absolutely necessary, you can usually gain even more hp, too, when paired with a good intake and tune.

We currently offer a handful of bolt-on systems with single & dual tip styles that we designed using all the methods mentioned above for max power gains. You can see more about them here on our site:
https://www.magnaflow.com/collections/2020-ford-ranger-exhaust-systems

Like all MF products, they are made right here in the good old USA and come with a lifetime warranty against any defects! If we can answer any questions about them, please feel free to shoot us a DM!
Are all of your ranger systems made out of stainless steel? I ask this because where I live,rust is not a problem. Having said that,I don't need or want a ss exhaust.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Are all of your ranger systems made out of stainless steel? I ask this because where I live,rust is not a problem. Having said that,I don't need or want a ss exhaust.
Pretty much all aftermarket exhausts I have seen for the Ranger are SS. The Factory exhaust is aluminized steel. Pretty much all ford factory exhausts are aluminized steel.

My understanding is aftermarket exhausts systems are usually always stainless steel because: Stainless looks better so people feel like they are getting an upgrade at good value and stainless is very corrosion resistant making it easier to offer warranty over aluminized steel.

For example the SS 3" Turboback exhaust on my '93 JDM WRX is in better condition than the whole rest of that car. Its easy to warranty a product that has the potential to outlast what it gets bolted up to.

If you really prefer aluminized steel you can always get something fabbed up at a muffler shop. I've done that in the past on vehicles I wanted a little more performance out of. It gets the job done.

Usually the big negative of a muffler shop exhaust is crush bent tubing however the Ranger exhaust doesnt have many bends so its not as big of a deal.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just gonna go with a muffler delete from a local muffler shop. I was born and raised in the north east,and have NEVER had an exhaust system rust out.And I don't see why anybody would spend the outrageous money for a pretty ss exhaust that is under the truck. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.But hey,that's just one guys opinion.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm just gonna go with a muffler delete from a local muffler shop. I was born and raised in the north east,and have NEVER had an exhaust system rust out.And I don't see why anybody would spend the outrageous money for a pretty ss exhaust that is under the truck. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all.But hey,that's just one guys opinion.
The reason SS exhausts are "pretty" is because they are usually tig welded (which is stronger) and corrosion resistant. That is the whole point.

I am in total agreement that aftermarket exhaust systems are expensive. My wife would blow her top if I suddenly spent $1100 on a SS Exhaust System regardless of any increase in power or the fuel savings. Cost is absolutely a factor I understand, especially where I am in Canada - everything is hugely marked up because of import taxes, duties, exchange, and general ripoff pricing. Even though autoparts are supposed to be duty exempt there is still a big markup.

But I'm still going to upgrade eventually; especially if I can find a decent deal. I'm partial to the MagnaFlow Stainless single exit. It may just have to wait until the next black friday sale or whatever.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah,I know it's expensive up there. In truth I don't plan to do much to my truck. I want to see what the next gen ranger has to offer. I'm very interested in a crew cab/LONG bed/diesel. And I think chebby will have the next gen colorado out so I'll look there too. I already drove their diesel,and I loved it. It was the rest of the truck I couldn't stand,lol.

OP
OP
Langwilliams

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I've seen a few aluminized cat back systems for around $300, $200 with the dumped exhaust right after the muffler. I'm thinking I'm gonna get an aftermarket muffler an have a shop install it. Might go with a 3" cat back down the road.

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a few aluminized cat back systems for around $300, $200 with the dumped exhaust right after the muffler. I'm thinking I'm gonna get an aftermarket muffler an have a shop install it. Might go with a 3" cat back down the road.
I'm just going to go with a muffler delete,thats all I need. If I need to tone it down some,I'll get a resonator tip from Heartthrob. and put that on.
Sponsored