Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at upgrading to an exhaust with better throughput. Thing is, I prefer my truck to be as quiet as possible and pretty much every exhaust out there is like "new louder growl" or somesuch. I don't like sounding like I'm doing a lot of work, I just like to deliver a lot of product (so to speak). Think "speak softly but carry a big stick". What exhaust am I looking for? Or are all better exhausts louder no matter what?
Sponsored

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm hardly an expert, to answer your question...if you open that restriction...it means more air and more noise. The only thing you will have to accept is (if you decide to change those pipes) how that noise sounds. I don't like the noise that drowns out the radio or conversation or shakes your teeth loose. There's lots of examples on this forum. Mine turned out really well, I think...but everybody says that. Take your time and investigate. Some guys live by the philosophy that there is no improvement in performance as a result of pipes and CAI. I can say that I noticed a difference in the truck...with a little more noise. I can live with that. Nothing is free, you have to ante up a bit.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I could be wrong but I don’t think you’ll gain much if anything from a larger diameter exhaust system on our 2.3 engine with a small-ish turbo.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
I’ve got the MBRP. The price was cheap, like $500 canadian. Which is like $75 USD. You certainly know it’s there, but I wouldn’t call it loud by any means. No one who has ridden in the vehicle has ever mentioned that it’s louder. That includes the girlfriend, and we just spent about 60+hrs in the truck, towing a camper

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I’ve got the MBRP. The price was cheap, like $500 canadian. Which is like $75 USD. You certainly know it’s there, but I wouldn’t call it loud by any means. No one who has ridden in the vehicle has ever mentioned that it’s louder. That includes the girlfriend, and we just spent about 60+hrs in the truck, towing a camper
What part# MBRP did you install?

Sara/AWE

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Occupation
Marketing - AWE
The Ford Performance exhaust is muffled, which it sounds like you want. While our systems are awesome, they might be too loud for you if you want a stock-like presence. Are you considering an exhaust for the power gains? If so, maybe you could keep it stock and get an off the shelf tune to pick up some power while staying stealthy.

Justin87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
collision tech
It sounds like you want the same thing I wanted. Better flowing exhaust without alot of noise. I've always liked Roush products, i have the power pack 1 on my ranger. The tune and intake has really made this truck fun to drive. I was unsure about the Roush exhaust though because I couldn't find any clips of accelerating, just idling and reving. So I finally pulled the trigger and I installed it 2 nights ago. I love it, can't really tell its there when idling. I can use the remote start 4 o'clock in the morning and not piss the neighbors off, my wife took it last night and didn't even notice it. When you get it on it though, you know its there but not obnoxious or anything. I'll try to get an acceleration sound clip up this weekend since I couldn't find one online and I had listened to all the other exhaust clips online and felt they would be too loud for my liking.

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
may also consider a catted DP. I installed the SPD DP before i put my Flow FX on and it made the turbo spool noticeable.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Get the Gibson single exit. You cant hear it at all on the highway and can hardly hear it around town. It's so quiet I'm considering getting something else.

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m running the MBRP 304 dual exit. Very deep mild tone. It’s just enough to know it’s not stock, but mellow inside. Can only hear inside when on the gas. Cruising at speed. Can’t even tell.

Last edited:

Justin87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
collision tech
may also consider a catted DP. I installed the SPD DP before i put my Flow FX on and it made the turbo spool noticeable.
Forgive me for not knowing what the flow fx is. Is it a catback or muffler? Do you think the dp with a quiet exhaust like my Roush would make it substantially louder? I'm thinking of getting the catted SPD also but I'm worried its going to be too loud with the Roush exhaust.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
This is my generic observation: the stock system is 2.5 inches diameter piping with a resonator ahead of the stock muffler. Virtually every aftermarket system uses 3 inch tubing after the catalytic converter, eliminates the resonator and uses a performance muffler. All are going to have a different tone/volume and change performance- usually torque goes up and horsepower goes down without additional mods and tuning where you gain more HP and MPG can suffer. The rest is mostly the quality of materials and styling with degrees of 'tone.'

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I run the AEM dry air filter and MBRP single and it plays well together with. a tune (Livernois).

A little louder than stock, but not overly so.

I think you'll probably want to consider all the pieces you may want to play with and make sure your exhaust decision is part of the playbook, not the exception (if at all possible). The forum seems to have just about all the answers to any question - with the sole exception being the tailgate damper lol!!
Sponsored