First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Hello....I'm getting a lot of good info off here an I have a question I haven't really found a straight answer to. I'm not looking to drag race my Ranger but I wouldn't mind finding a few ponies here an there an wouldn't mind a change in exhaust note. Is there a performance increase from a cat back exhaust or just a change in sound? I've seen systems for under $300 to well over a grand. I'm looking at the tuners an tunes an will probably go with one sometime later this year an figured if I'm gonna change the exhaust I should probably do so before ordering a tune if it changes performance. I throw a lot of money at my Harley so the plan for the ranger is just a tune, maybe an exhaust an later on a leveling kit an 32" tires. My truck had the chrome wheels on it so I'll probably just stick with those. Thanks for any responses.
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hello....I'm getting a lot of good info off here an I have a question I haven't really found a straight answer to. I'm not looking to drag race my Ranger but I wouldn't mind finding a few ponies here an there an wouldn't mind a change in exhaust note. Is there a performance increase from a cat back exhaust or just a change in sound? I've seen systems for under $300 to well over a grand. I'm looking at the tuners an tunes an will probably go with one sometime later this year an figured if I'm gonna change the exhaust I should probably do so before ordering a tune if it changes performance. I throw a lot of money at my Harley so the plan for the ranger is just a tune, maybe an exhaust an later on a leveling kit an 32" tires. My truck had the chrome wheels on it so I'll probably just stick with those. Thanks for any responses.
I would think there would have to be at least a small increase. It was posted earlier this week that there is a 1” hole restricting the exhaust flow so I’m sure there is something to be gained there!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Since you're not going to be drag racing your Ranger I would go with just a tune. I think you will get more bang for your buck with it as it's customizable to your needs. You can always get different tunes too like @Doc has on his Ranger with the main tune on the S position and the D position was just cleaned up a bit for daily driving. It's $400 including the BDX tuner and 2 custom tunes from Unleashed Tuning.

https://www.unleashedtuning.com/bdx-unleashed-rev-x-custom-tuner/

OP
OP
Langwilliams

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
thanks for the quick replies. I was wondering if there was a way to have a mild tune for the regular mode an a more aggressive tune for the sport mode. Can I shift in an out of sport while driving or only at a stop? I had this same shifter on my fusion but never used the sport mode since it was the base motor.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
thanks for the quick replies. I was wondering if there was a way to have a mild tune for the regular mode an a more aggressive tune for the sport mode. Can I shift in an out of sport while driving or only at a stop? I had this same shifter on my fusion but never used the sport mode since it was the base motor.
Yes you can have a mild tune in D mode and an aggressive tune in S mode. You can also shift from D to S at anytime,you don't have to be at a stop.

Reactions: Doc

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
Having experience with Ford 4 cylinder Ecoboost engines, an exhaust system will add some HP and some beautiful music to enjoy! The sound alone is worth it to me! That being said, an exhaust will most likely yield 8-12 HP depending on what system you choose. The real benefits of a nice tuned cat-back system are found if and when you add other components. I am running a Borla exhaust system on my new Ranger and love it! This was the first mod I made to the truck and the first thing I do for Ecoboost engines. I will eventually add a modest level tune, ram air and a larger intercooler. A quality exhaust is a good building block to start with.

Here are a couple of examples of how easy it is to increase the performance of an Ecoboost engine.

My 2017 Titanium Escape has a modified Borla system that I was running on another vehicle. I am also running a one off intake system as well based on the Focus ST system I built.These modifications alone increased the MPG by 2 plus miles per gallon and a noticeable increase in performance. That's all this one will receive.

On my Focus ST, I am currently running a Mountune 93 octane tune built around Magnaflow exhaust. Mountune intake, intercooler and crossover tube. Unique fabricated ram air system and a few other custom items. I kept the boost updates at a safe reliable level so I can enjoy my car for a long period of time. The whole package produces approximately 330 HP and 415 area lbs of torque. It's loads of fun, but very reliable. Gas mileage did drop a little over one mile per gallon after these changes, but that's a negligible difference to me.

I hope this information will answer your questions about exhaust. It all depends on what you want and what you value

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you can have a mild tune in D mode and an aggressive tune in S mode. You can also shift from D to S at anytime,you don't have to be at a stop.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Been a bit since I did this. If I remember correctly if you shift to S while stopped it will shift automatically, but if you shift to S while driving you will have to shift it manually.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Please correct me if I am wrong. Been a bit since I did this. If I remember correctly if you shift to S while stopped it will shift automatically, but if you shift to S while driving you will have to shift it manually.
It will still shift automatically either way. The only time you’ll have to shift it manually is if you hit the +/- buttons in the side of the shifter. Once you hit those it makes it manually shift. To get out of manual shift just hold down either of those side buttons for a few seconds and you’ll go back to auto mode.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It will still shift automatically either way. The only time you’ll have to shift it manually is if you hit the +/- buttons in the side of the shifter. Once you hit those it makes it manually shift. To get out of manual shift just hold down either of those side buttons for a few seconds and you’ll go back to auto mode.
Thanks, I need to get out and practice more. I might just have found a way to have more fun.:clap:

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would think there would have to be at least a small increase. It was posted earlier this week that there is a 1” hole restricting the exhaust flow so I’m sure there is something to be gained there!
I'm very curious about the 1" exhaust restriction.

The most significant change you will find with upgraded exhaust is that by removing exhaust restrictions on a turbocharged engine like the 2.3 ecoboost you will see an increase in spool speed for the turbo (spins up faster). This wont make a huge change in peak horsepower without a tune but should cause an increase in power at lower RPM's.

As far as I know the 10spd auto is a reasonably normal automatic transmission with a torque converter. Producing slightly more power at lower RPM's will change the shift points in the transmission and increase throttle responsiveness.

In a prior life I drove an imported RHD JDM Subaru STI with an automatic transmission(only offered in Japan). The factory tune of JDM Subaru's was so aggressive that improving turbo spooling by removing intake and exhaust restrictions basically put that car into full beastmode.

I feel like the Ranger is a couple of minor modifications away from a notable change in driving experience.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I'm very curious about the 1" exhaust restriction.

The most significant change you will find with upgraded exhaust is that by removing exhaust restrictions on a turbocharged engine like the 2.3 ecoboost you will see an increase in spool speed for the turbo (spins up faster). This wont make a huge change in peak horsepower without a tune but should cause an increase in power at lower RPM's.

As far as I know the 10spd auto is a reasonably normal automatic transmission with a torque converter. Producing slightly more power at lower RPM's will change the shift points in the transmission and increase throttle responsiveness.

In a prior life I drove an imported RHD JDM Subaru STI with an automatic transmission(only offered in Japan). The factory tune of JDM Subaru's was so aggressive that improving turbo spooling by removing intake and exhaust restrictions basically put that car into full beastmode.

I feel like the Ranger is a couple of minor modifications away from a notable change in driving experience.
That’s why I did a muffler delete...
Regards

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
@TommyAtomic this is where the 1" hole is mentioned that I was referring to: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/5-stars-ranger-update.5818/
Thanks!

It seems really surprising that aftermarket exhaust vendors aren't making the 1" restriction in the factory muffler a main bullet-point in their marketing materials. Have none of the other aftermarket vendors noticed that factory exhaust is restricted like that?

Exhaust restrictions kill turbo performance. This should be a no brainer. Mufflers should fly off of shelves to sort this problem. It's possible this restriction is to keep exhaust flowing nice and slow over the catalytic converter. So it might be good for emissions; but its not great for engine efficiency.

Last edited:

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm really thinking of that 1" restriction in the stock muffler now!!! Has anyone replaced the muffler only? I wonder what difference that would make?? I love the sound clips from the Flowmaster post - https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/flowmaster-flowfx-cat-back-exhaust-system.4733/ - honestly the best sounding I've heard to date! But! If one doesn't care to alter the sound too much one would think replacing just the muffler would be a benefit.........

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Thanks!

It seems really surprising that aftermarket exhaust vendors aren't making the 1" restriction in the factory muffler a main bullet-point in their marketing materials. Have none of the other aftermarket vendors noticed that factory exhaust is restricted like that?

Exhaust restrictions kill turbo performance. This should be a no brainer. Mufflers should fly off of shelves to sort this problem. It's possible this restriction is to keeping exhaust flowing nice and slow over the catalytic converter. So it might be good for emissions; but its not great for engine efficiency.[/QUOTE

3C0C8074-1240-4B37-B3A7-68A521A2FB20.jpeg

Tuned muffler delete only..
Regards
Sponsored