Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
i always wonder how much this is true, or whether its just fluff talk to make you feel special and all warm and fuzzy inside that Ford would make such a sacrifice for you? you know, in the interest of customer satisfaction surveys.
Hi RP,

It can be done and is done to pull parts out of the plant. Not when they are on the line but in the stock racks etc. Plants do not warehouse parts like they used to do...more are Just In Time (JIT). It depends on who is pulling the parts. Engineering is always supported first for example. Parts and Service would be down the line and can be said no can do to Parts and Service. My Motorsports Coordinator went to the plant for many of our off road racing support... Rarely did we get turned down.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
For anyone who gets in a wreck in a newer vehicle and it's not your fault, make sure you file a diminished value claim. They definitely won't offer it up. When I was hit in December of '19 in my truck, the damage was $5500. However, I filed a dimished value claim and they sent me a check for $6200 to cover the amount the vehicle had diminished in value due to having an accident on carfax.
I wonder how that impacts a lease.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
No you said you need to have a large credit line where you could go into debt. ...
I didn't come up with this, a lot of this comes from Dave Ramsey. ...
Your both right because it's really based on debt to income balance...larger income handles more debt and same for lesser debt and income. That's how people not selling drugs, cars, stocks or legalese can have a high credit score, just like the mentioned few...:inspect: of course, there are exceptions...

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I just worked a fatality crash where airbags didn't deploy after they were repaired under a salvage title from a previous crash where they deployed. 34 year old female rain straight into a tree, no brakes at 55-65 mph in a Ford Taurus.

I can't believe they didn't total your truck since airbags deployed. I would more less make my insurance company total it. And if they didn't, I'd be shopping new insurance companies after the claim is settled. I'd also be selling the truck!

Edit to add: you can sell a lease, I've done it 2 times. Sold two vehicles at the 2 year mark of 3 year leases.

Last edited:

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
No worries. Not alot of us females that have sold for 13 years
I beg to differ Pam. I retired after 36years in dealership service and I must say, female sales associates stuck around the most and were the most aggressive with the numbers.
And I met many of them! You did good.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I just worked a fatality crash where airbags didn't deploy after they were repaired under a salvage title from a previous crash where they deployed. 34 year old female rain straight into a tree, no brakes at 55-65 mph in a Ford Taurus.

I can't believe they didn't total your truck since airbags deployed. I would more less make my insurance company total it. And if they didn't, I'd be shopping new insurance companies after the claim is settled. I'd also be selling the truck!

Edit to add: you can sell a lease, I've done it 2 times. Sold two vehicles at the 2 year mark of 3 year leases.
So you think they should total a $40,000 truck just because the airbags deployed? How do you "make" your insurance company total it?

You're comments, if put into motion, would make auto insurance so expensive nobody would be able to afford it.

What folks fail to realize is the cost of replacement parts. Ranger tail lights are $1,200 a piece. Think about that. It doesn't take many parts at those prices to end up with a $20,000 repair bill like Pam's truck has.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you think they should total a $40,000 truck just because the airbags deployed? How do you "make" your insurance company total it?

You're comments, if put into motion, would make auto insurance so expensive nobody would be able to afford it.

What folks fail to realize is the cost of replacement parts. Ranger tail lights are $1,200 a piece. Think about that. It doesn't take many parts at those prices to end up with a $20,000 repair bill like Pam's truck has.
That's exactly why I would expect an insurance company to total it. When Ford charges over $300 for a sun visor, I can't imagine what it will cost to fix a safety mechanism such as an airbag and actually rely on it to work. I bet the family of the female I saw die would have liked for the insurance company to total and crush that Taurus. I'm willing to bet the family will file a lawsuit against the insurance company now as well. Think about that!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I was in a bad accident on November 2nd. The passenger side was t-boned. 21000.00 in damage, air bags are deployed. The pickup is sitting at the body shop. They have called ford and i have called numerous times!!! I was a salesman for ford for 13 years. Ive called ford credit, ford customer relations (phone number isn't working-even the gals at ford credit tried calling said, you're right, the number doesn't work!!) I am so frustrated. I am making payments on a pickup that's sitting at a body shop with absolutely no ETA on parts (seat cover/airbags) I can't get any help from ford. I am a loyal Ford girl and have been all my life. So disgusted and upset now. Just want my pickup back!!!
Ponytail I would get on the adjusters backside to get the truck totalled. Airbags alone usually does that on front impacts due to all the sensors and windshield replacement. If the adjuster doesn't total it then ask to speak with their supervisor, everyone has a boss.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's exactly why I would expect an insurance company to total it. When Ford charges over $300 for a sun visor, I can't imagine what it will cost to fix a safety mechanism such as an airbag and actually rely on it to work. I bet the family of the female I saw die would have liked for the insurance company to total and crush that Taurus. I'm willing to bet the family will file a lawsuit against the insurance company now as well. Think about that!
Lawyer Up!

Insurance companies are in business to make money. That's the cold hard truth. It's sad that the woman died, but put the blame where it belongs, on the shop that did the repairs.

You act as if the only people that can install air bags and their associated control system is an assembly line worker. What one man can do, another can do.

Again, if you think an insurance company should total a $40,000 truck for $20,000 in repairs, where is the other $20,000 coming from? The answer is from the folks paying insurance premiums. I say follow logic and proportion, not emotional unstability.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've had one vehicle totalled under insurance. Not a whole lot of experience, but in my situation the adjuster claimed the threshold was 50% of value. State regulations, policy differences, and maybe even owned vs leased may account for differences in the threshold.

In my situation no airbags deployed, but the shock tower was moved. Car would not have ever been the same unless I was VERY lucky. Insurance was hemming and hawing on totalling it due to value. I visited the body shop, chatted with the owner, and expressed to him that while I didn't want him to commit any fraud, I really didn't want to have to deal with the car going forward. Next day I got a call from the insurance company asking how I wanted my money.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
There are parts, and then there are the right parts.
Hope you get the right parts. ;)
90EE4896-F5B8-4E7A-AF48-6A72BDDACAA6.jpeg
Side note: That cat is awesome!

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I was in a bad accident on November 2nd. The passenger side was t-boned. 21000.00 in damage, air bags are deployed. The pickup is sitting at the body shop. They have called ford and i have called numerous times!!! I was a salesman for ford for 13 years. Ive called ford credit, ford customer relations (phone number isn't working-even the gals at ford credit tried calling said, you're right, the number doesn't work!!) I am so frustrated. I am making payments on a pickup that's sitting at a body shop with absolutely no ETA on parts (seat cover/airbags) I can't get any help from ford. I am a loyal Ford girl and have been all my life. So disgusted and upset now. Just want my pickup back!!!
Really sorry to hear about your situation. Just the idea of dealing with insurance makes my skin crawl; you're forced to have it and then when you really need it to work for you, it usually doesn't. At least not without being extremely painful.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
airbags are just modules.
replaceable modules.

the Taurus crash is a fine example of the rotating ball of shit caused by insurance companies. but lets be real...55-60 into a tree? like airbags are gonna make a lot of difference, seriously.

Insurance companies write it off. sell it as a salvage, and round and round we go. all because the insurance company wants to recoup a payout from the initial write-off. the cost of recycling wont get them anywhere near the value they hope for. so what's the option? stop writing off vehicles so easily?? Fixing them even when the value is 80-90% of new??? I dunno, that solution is outside my pay grade.

Fixed correctly though it can be as good as new, keeping in mind the price point to keep it affordable. . But roll in some shit show shops with half brained Neanderthals twisting the wrenches and you always get a bad result. Lowest bidder isn't always the smart idea.

with the 40000/20000 comparison, better start changing my tires when they hit 50% wear, even the brakes too. Why not if i can get someone else to paying for it.
Ironically enough, this location yields several crashes per month. Had another crash at damn near the same tree and 911 calls said the person was actually racing. He had over 150' of skid and believed to be going in excess of 80mph in a G37S when he struck the tree. He walked away after refusing EMS with only airbag burns on his forearms.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Way back in the day (1990's) when the Shitvrolet Tahoe was just released I had an acquaintance with one. He parked it on the street at a friends house and a kid on the way home from work (driving a Ranger ironically) fell asleep at the wheel and plowed into the back of the Tahoe at about 20 to 25 MPH without touching the brakes. Kid was OK.

Despite the fact that Chevy sources a LOT of the parts for the Tahoe out of the Suburban, they were both new designs that year and there was no inventory and people were snagging the Tahoe as fast as they could make them. No Parts.

Insurance totaled the mostly undamaged Tahoe that needed bumper, rear doors, tail lights, paint, and transmission work (shoving the drive line damaged the trans) because:
  1. Insurance owes you a comparable rental - meaning if you drive a Tahoe they can't give you a Prius and a comparable rental to a Tahoe put them in the top tier of rental cars.
  2. There were no parts so he was going to be driving an expensive conversion van rental for 8 months at least.

So in the end, it wasn't the damage to the vehicle that made them total it. It was the damage to their bottom line that the rental was going to cause.

In that same vein, I had a 93 Ranger rear ended. When the work to fix it took longer than expected (we were two weeks past estimated date) I called the shop and they said insurance was fighting over the decal on the side of the truck. Turns out the ranger had a $200 decal but it was for BOTH sides and my truck only needed one because the passenger side wasn't damaged. Insurance wanted to buy a $100 decal for one side. The paperwork they sent back to the shop actually had the words on the paper that they needed to source a re-manufactured decal for the drivers side only from a junk yard. Da hell?

My comparable rental was $38 a day at the time. I called and yelled at the insurance adjuster that was handling my case. "You have me driving around in a piece of crap smoked out rental car from Enterprise that came with a Cheeseburger stuffed in the glove box (true story) for $38 times 14 days costing you $500+ all so you can save $100. Don't be stupid! You are stepping over dollars to pick up dimes and causing me a tremendous amount of inconvenience at the same time. How would you feel if my experience caused you to lose my business and on top of that loss you never got a chance to recoup it because I take my business elsewhere?" Then I called my agent and told him the same thing. POOF! Magically I got my $200 decal.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
I have been an insurance agent for over 25 years with a national company. Although not written in stone, 75 to 80 percent of current market value is the threshold for totaling a vehicle. You may have a cause of action for diminished value from the insurance company of the person that hit you. If it is a lease, your argument for market value loss would not be as convincing.

Lack of parts due to JIT inventory practices in manufacturing is not unique to Ford and many clients with new vehicles wait for awhile which is no fun. In this case, given the damage I wouldn’t get to attached to this truck and think of it as source of transportation until you find one to keep long term. Best of luck !!
Sponsored