No GPS issue

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Interesting, for the first time I had the same thing happen to me last week. I wasn’t in the middle of nowhere…I was in my general neighborhood. The next time I turned the truck on the GPS worked.fine.
Sponsored

Housemanager

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Supercab Ranger
Mine is doing it every day now. Waze through phone is fine. I have been placed on good courses, the ocean, the bay, and a state park trail

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I've started seeing this on my 2019 Ranger from time to time. The other day, I wasn't actively using navigation, but my screen shows the map, looked over and noticed the streets didn't look right. I live in Central Texas, and the map was showing Detroit MI! That's when I noticed the NO GPS symbol. I had it happen a couple of other times but dismissed it. I'm out of my regular warranty but may take it to my dealer to see what they think.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
My 2019 does this from time to time too.....I assumed it was a signal issue...?

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 does this from time to time too.....I assumed it was a signal issue...?
It may be, but I saw it on back to back trips when I first posted this. I did a Sync update and I think I've only seen it once since then. So it may have multiple causes.

I haven't seen the weird "upside down compass" behavior since doing the upgrade however. Its just been the screen with the No GPS icon on it the one time. I think most of my issues were related to software, not signal.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
You're probably out of cell range?

Mine didn't have NAV but with my iphone/Carplay, I keep the signal boosted with WeBoost...
IMG_7562.JPG

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have had this happen on occasion with my 15 Mustang that had Microsoft's MyFordTouch system, my 17 Mustang with Sync3 and my 21 Ranger with Sync3. Most times restarting the system corrects it sometimes I have to drive for awhile. I have even had the GPS with the line through it symbol but the navigation is working fine.

I have always assumed that this was caused by the system not seeing the satellites and the software not being able to recover without a restart. I have a radar detector that has GPS built in for marking locations and about 2 or 3 times a week when I leave home it will not be connected until I am a mile or two from the house.

OP
OP
RedlandRanger

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
You're probably out of cell range?
Navigation stuff does not require a cell signal - at least not for location data. For things like traffic data,etc, you'd need a cell signal.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Just happened to me last weekend on a run thru Little Creek in SoCal. Slash symbol there but was still functioning.

BTW, SYNC Nav works w/o cell, direct from GPS satellites. Your iPhone on the other hand needs cell towers.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Just happened to me last weekend on a run thru Little Creek in SoCal. Slash symbol there but was still functioning.

BTW, SYNC Nav works w/o cell, direct from GPS satellites. Your iPhone on the other hand needs cell towers.
Not sure about Apple Maps but Google Maps allows you to down load the map data to the phone so you don't need a cell signal to navigate. You do need the cell signal for traffic info. Sync navigation gets it's traffic info via the SirusXM satellites.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
If you get into the Sync 3 test screen you can check the GPS signal strength. I'm not sure what the button combination is our Rangers. I think it's hold skip forward on the steering wheel and skip forward on the dash. Turn the radio down first because it will do a speaker test as it enters the test screen

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
This seems to happen to me every so often. I do a soft Sync reset and it always resolves.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Old school GPS receivers would point to the center of the earth when confused…

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
I've started seeing this on my 2019 Ranger from time to time. The other day, I wasn't actively using navigation, but my screen shows the map, looked over and noticed the streets didn't look right. I live in Central Texas, and the map was showing Detroit MI! That's when I noticed the NO GPS symbol. I had it happen a couple of other times but dismissed it. I'm out of my regular warranty but may take it to my dealer to see what they think.
Took the Ranger in. They diagnosed at as "found DTC B119F in the APIM... Found no power supplied to the antenna from the APIM." So they replaced the APIM and it's now working again. My Ford ESP took care of it except for my deductible. So I don't have any idea of what the actual cost might have been.
Sponsored