No Auto 4WD Mode?

RangerManR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, 2013 Mustang
The photos I've seen so far of the 4WD system control dial hasn't shown an option for an 'Auto 4WD' mode (see attached photo sourced from Motor Trend), which is surprising since all the trucks and SUVs I've rented/borrowed/driven with 4WD in recent years have had that mode.

F150s definitely have Auto 4WD.

Am I just seeing preproduction interior photos? Can anyone confirm if they've seen an Auto 4WD option on the selector knob in the recent FX4 test drive trucks?

2019-Ford-Ranger-4WD-dial.jpg
Sponsored

wa2be

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Ridgeline
The photos I've seen so far of the 4WD system control dial hasn't shown an option for an 'Auto 4WD' mode (see attached photo sourced from Motor Trend), which is surprising since all the trucks and SUVs I've rented/borrowed/driven with 4WD in recent years have had that mode.

F150s definitely have Auto 4WD.

Am I just seeing preproduction interior photos? Can anyone confirm if they've seen an Auto 4WD option on the selector knob in the recent FX4 test drive trucks?

2019-Ford-Ranger-4WD-dial.jpg
I've been wondering the same thing. GM offers it on the Colorado and the Canyon as a standard feature. I think auto 4WD is much more useful for day-to-day needs like winter driving. I have it on my current Ridgeline and my wife's Pilot. I would hate to go back to the old-fashioned method of needing to turn it on and off as the road conditions change. Gave that up with my '99 Ranger!

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I did find that kind of a drag, you would think it would be standard in 2019.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I disagree it’s a bad thing. I don’t find it terribly difficult to turn a dial one click to turn on 4WD when I know I need it. However, it annoys me when there is no option to completely turn it off, your options being Auto 4WD High, 4WD High and 4WD Low. Having a true 2WD selection makes it possible to have some extra fun without the unwanted 4WD kicking in. Driving on a loose surface with 2WD and the rear diff locked makes for a good time. I think they designed it that way on purpose.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
My 2wd V8 Dakota was a blast to drive... I feel a manual 4x4 is fine as well. If you want auto, get yourself an AWD something or another.

OP
OP

RangerManR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1999 Ford Ranger XLT, 2013 Mustang
I agree with all your points everyone, I've driven my 99 Ranger without Auto 4WD for 15 years just fine, easily turning a dial when I need the extra traction. And it's a ton of fun keeping it in 2WD when the snow falls to do skids or drift around.

But I'm not going to be the only one driving the new Ranger, my wife will be using it as well and she is coming from an AWD car. She isn't used to manually shifting into and out of 4WD during the winter, and she's worried she won't be switching over at the right time. Auto 4WD would alleviate that concern by allowing her to switch to that mode whenever it snows or rains, which is often here in MN!

Why not just buy another AWD car? AWD cars typically don't have a low gear ratio option, like 4WD cars do, and I'd like to have for offroading. And I don't see how it would hurt to include four options on the dial - 2WD, 4WD Auto, 4WD High, and 4WD low. If our truck already includes all the hardware in the powertrain, why not just include the option? You don't have to use it!

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all your points everyone, I've driven my 99 Ranger without Auto 4WD for 15 years just fine, easily turning a dial when I need the extra traction. And it's a ton of fun keeping it in 2WD when the snow falls to do skids or drift around.

But I'm not going to be the only one driving the new Ranger, my wife will be using it as well and she is coming from an AWD car. She isn't used to manually shifting into and out of 4WD during the winter, and she's worried she won't be switching over at the right time. Auto 4WD would alleviate that concern by allowing her to switch to that mode whenever it snows or rains, which is often here in MN!

Why not just buy another AWD car? AWD cars typically don't have a low gear ratio option, like 4WD cars do, and I'd like to have for offroading. And I don't see how it would hurt to include four options on the dial - 2WD, 4WD Auto, 4WD High, and 4WD low. If our truck already includes all the hardware in the powertrain, why not just include the option? You don't have to use it!
Agreed.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Yeah....because I'm sure it doesn't add any cost to the vehicle.....
Seriously, if you think you need 4wd put the switch in 4wd. If you feel the truck binding up as you turn, switch it to 2wd. If you don't know when you need it and when you don't, then you shouldn't be on the roads in those conditions as you are putting everyone else on the road at risk.
Auto 4wd is for the lazy. It doesn't work well when you need 4wd the most and can be considered a "crutch".

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah....because I'm sure it doesn't add any cost to the vehicle.....
Seriously, if you think you need 4wd put the switch in 4wd. If you feel the truck binding up as you turn, switch it to 2wd. If you don't know when you need it and when you don't, then you shouldn't be on the roads in those conditions as you are putting everyone else on the road at risk.
Auto 4wd is for the lazy. It doesn't work well when you need 4wd the most and can be considered a "crutch".
Do you normally reply to the wrong person?

Auto 4WD certainly could be an option, but yes everything has a cost; were you being uncleverly sarcastic with that point or were you purposely trying to be a jerk? Anyhow I think I made the point that Auto 4WD High was unnecessary for my driving purposes or my wife’s for that matter. But maybe you didn’t read the whole thread.

FordBlueHeart

First Name
Torr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F250 King Ranch 6.0l
Occupation
Collision Repair Estimator
Do you normally reply to the wrong person?

Auto 4WD certainly could be an option, but yes everything has a cost; were you being uncleverly sarcastic with that point or were you purposely trying to be a jerk? Anyhow I think I made the point that Auto 4WD High was unnecessary for my driving purposes or my wife’s for that matter. But maybe you didn’t read the whole thread.
Chill out, don't get your panties in a bunch. And don't get all butt-hurt because I think the Auto 4wd is for lazy people or people who don't know how to drive in slippery conditions. Yes, I realize I quoted the guy who agrees with the guy who posted that he wanted it. Mostly because I didn't want to have that quoted all over again that most people would scroll right past.

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Chill out, don't get your panties in a bunch. And don't get all butt-hurt because I think the Auto 4wd is for lazy people or people who don't know how to drive in slippery conditions. Yes, I realize I quoted the guy who agrees with the guy who posted that he wanted it. Mostly because I didn't want to have that quoted all over again that most people would scroll right past.
“Chill out” “panties” “butt-hurt”

Nice rebuttal. It’s been a great conversation, bye bye.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
How about we all agree that putting it in 4 hi and doing some mud hooning is a blast and walk away happy?

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
They could have left it out for any number of reasons. Cost, availability, reliability, fuel economy. The auto mode adds a set of wet clutches which do add a little parasitic loss to the driveline reguradless of drive mode. I have the auto mode in my f150 and I can say it is useful for patches of snow on city streets when 2wd just leaves you spinning at every corner. However, I’d never use auto mode in off road situations where I need constant traction.
Sponsored