rondowe

First Name
don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, FX4
Hi Morgan,

I'm on my 3rd 4x4 truck. As others have said, 4x2 is enough most of the time. You will need good ground clearance. Dirt roads can develop deep ruts and you may encounter stream crossings or exposed rocks in the road where the dirt eroded away. You should have at least 8 inches of clearance (more is better) and check the underside for potential vulnerabilities as 4x2s aren't usually as well protected as 4x4s. On steep descents, the 4x4 low gear ratio reduces brake wear.
Sponsored

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
As a good friend said, "4-wheel drive allows you to get another quarter mile into the muck before you get stuck."

I sold a '05 Ranger 4x4 IOT purchase my '19 Ranger. The old one was very much like the one you are considering save for the 4x4. I installed an electric locking rear axle in it too.. I need 4-wheel drive in the winter, and winters are long here (snowed 4" thee days ago). I only used the locking rear end 2-3 times in the 13 years I owned the truck. Although it's on my current Ranger, I wouldn't install it again. I've owned at least 6 4x4 vehicles and the 4-wheel drive system on all of them together has never cost me one dime in maintenance and each had over 100,000 miles when sold, one had 200,000 miles.

The pictures Dave included can be navigated in 2-wheel drive, but 4-wheel drive does make navigating those routes easier. Good tires are a must.

But be advised...once you spend the money to purchase a vehicle with a 4x4 system it will cost you A LOT MORE over the years because you will not want a vehicle without 4-wheel drive again, mostly because of the confidence the 4-wheel drive system imparts. So the cost is more than just that initial vehicle. If you can get by without 4x4, save your money. If you need, buy it.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
My favorite truck so far was my 03 Sport Trac, 2wd, manual transmission. With studded snow tires it was fine in any amount of snow. It was also my least favorite, but that is a personal story for another time.
Sponsored