New Tacoma - Broke

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I occasionally watch TFL but a little goes a long way.

They usually have a few minutes of good content in a 30 minute video.

There's only so many overly dramatic Andre comments I can handle in a short time frame.

"Whaaaaaaat!?!?!?!"

"Nooooooooo!!!!!"

"Howwwwwwwwwwww?!?!?!"

I would imagine this video gets a lot more exposure than their typical video simply due to the breakage.

The defenders of the Taco in this video on TW is absolutely comic, though there are some voices of reason that point out their blatant fanboi posturings.
Sponsored

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the clip of the break on the Tacoma and it seems odd. There is no way it should have broken under those conditions, but... every manufacturer can suffer from a bad part. I won't cast judgement on this incident alone.

As for TFL, I stopped watching when they did the Ranger vs. Tacoma video and they said the Ranger was better in every way, but they'd still take the Tacoma. Not because it was the Ranger, but because their bias was so incredibly visible.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Saw this posted in another forum. I have no idea who this guy is, what background he has, or what kind of authority he has on the subject. He has some good points, but I think he takes an overly pessimistic stance on it. Especially the whole "everybody sucks at their jobs" statements he's making.

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
If you want to see more of the famous toyota reliability, the recent Tacoma recall is the second one they've had on the rear end in the last 8 or so years. The last time is because they left the factory without fluid or the proper amount. These are just two that I have heard about as I am just not a fan of toyota and don't really keep tabs on them.

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Well it would have been interesting if TFL learned about defective GM 2.7l engines the hard way. Not even sure if they know or if they would even make mention of it like they did with the stop sale of the Colorado/Canyon.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Whatā€™s also a bit interesting is that the video was posted 6 days ago ( and most likely shot a few days before) and so far crickets

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone remember when Ford recalled vehicles because lugnuta were falling off?

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I am sure Toyota will fight them on whatever it is being under warranty or not, but this should not be happening on a truck with <4k miles on it.

They show some pictures of the undercarriage but they aren't the best pictures. I hope they do at least a short when they get the truck up on a lift and see what's going on.

As much as the guys in the video poke fun at Andre, I prefer Andre to most of the other guys on the channel. (The Son isn't bad either, i guess.)

What was the talk of having to go from 4lo into 4hi before going into 2wd? I guess in our trucks the knob goes 4l, 4h, 2h so the knob has to pass by the 4h everytime but the taco has buttons to switch into so the system isn't smart enough to go into 4h from 4l? seems like that's not a good system. . .
I would be very surprised if Toyota fights them on this warranty claim. I see two differences here compared to most other component failures during off-roading. First, he has an actual video of failure occurring while doing some pretty easy off-roading. Second, we have to consider who these guys are. They are the owners of a highly successful YouTube Channel on trucks with 1.19M subscribers. Obviously, there is nothing positive about this failure for Toyota, but this is a great opportunity to do some damage control. If I was Toyota, I would be making a deal with Roman to get one of my smooth-talking Marketing folks on his next episode regarding this issue to talk about what caused the failure and what changes Toyota is making to make sure this does not happen to others.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone remember when Ford recalled vehicles because lugnuta were falling off?

Remember when Ford spec'd the wrong tire pressure on a vehicle and it caused the tires to explode and the vehicles to flip? That was fun...

The point is: all manufacturers make mistakes.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I would be very surprised if Toyota fights them on this warranty claim. I see two differences here compared to most other component failures during off-roading. First, he has an actual video of failure occurring while doing some pretty easy off-roading. Second, we have to consider who these guys are. They are the owners of a highly successful YouTube Channel on trucks with 1.19M subscribers. Obviously, there is nothing positive about this failure for Toyota, but this is a great opportunity to do some damage control. If I was Toyota, I would be making a deal with Roman to get one of my smooth-talking Marketing folks on his next episode regarding this issue to talk about what caused the failure and what changes Toyota is making to make sure this does not happen to others.
Or they say, you abused the vehicle from the start by towing a trailer from Texas to colorado and didn't allow for proper break in period... Sorry for your luck.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Remember when Ford spec'd the wrong tire pressure on a vehicle and it caused the tires to explode and the vehicles to flip? That was fun...

The point is: all manufacturers make mistakes.
Ohhh I done member that, the Ford explode we called the Explorer from that day forth.

I still won't put Firestone tires on anything. šŸ˜‚

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Or they say, you abused the vehicle from the start by towing a trailer from Texas to colorado and didn't allow for proper break in period... Sorry for your luck.
Have you seen Toyota do something like this before? Most of the cars that I own tend to be either Ford's or Toyota's. I can't say that I have had a lot of warranty claims with either brand, but I have never been in a situation where they denied a claim. For instance, my wife owned a Rav4 and a power mirror broke. It was making a popping sound when moving. Toyota replaced it under warranty, but the service advisor did tell me that Toyota questioned the claim. He had to send in pictures that there was no external damage to the mirror that would indicate it was hit.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Have you seen Toyota do something like this before? Most of the cars that I own tend to be either Ford's or Toyota's. I can't say that I have had a lot of warranty claims with either brand, but I have never been in a situation where they denied a claim. For instance, my wife owned a Rav4 and a power mirror broke. It was making a popping sound when moving. Toyota replaced it under warranty, but the service advisor did tell me that Toyota questioned the claim. He had to send in pictures that there was no external damage to the mirror that would indicate it was hit.
Personally, nope.

But they would be within their rights to deny the claim.

They picked the truck up in Texas, and immediately went and picked up a trailer and towed it back to colorado on the highway.

Just a random dealership, but it says no towing for the first 500 miles....

https://www.captoyota.com/service/information/new-toyota-break-in-period.htm

If they didn't follow that simple guideline, what else were they doing to abuse the vehicle?

Did you see the video where they took it out in the snow and were accelerating and braking as quickly as possible?

I'm not saying toyota won't replace whatever broke, but I think they would be within their rights not to and make them pay for it.

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Iā€™ve heard of Toyota doing this from friends and family of their vehicles. One even had their cvt transmission claim rejected with only 42k on the whole vehicle claiming that it was ā€œabusedā€. They bought the car to make a 70 mile highway round trip to and from work.
Sponsored