My 2021 Ranger with 1620 miles sits on side of road waiting for tow truck!

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Man, Waiting for my 2021 to be built. Seeing all the issues lately, Im a little worried. :frown:
To provide the opposite such experience, I purchased my 21 Lariat FX4 at the end of June, put about 800 miles on it by the end of July then towed a 12ft Uhaul w/ around 4500 pounds 2100 miles from Florida to Colorado, then took it off roading the weekend after moving into my new apartment.

I have not had any issues with the truck whatsoever, now approaching 4000 miles on the odometer.
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Wife bought a new car back in 2018. Close to the same experience. Found out mice made a nest in top of the fuel tank and at through the wires. Hopefully it is something crazy like that and not a serious problem

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
To provide the opposite such experience, I purchased my 21 Lariat FX4 at the end of June, put about 800 miles on it by the end of July then towed a 12ft Uhaul w/ around 4500 pounds 2100 miles from Florida to Colorado, then took it off roading the weekend after moving into my new apartment.

I have not had any issues with the truck whatsoever, now approaching 4000 miles on the odometer.
My 2021 lariat was perfect until 7000 miles. It’s been in the shop for a month now waiting on a replacement for the defective drivers side rear axle. And no ETA on replacement parts.

I hope you get another 4000 trouble free miles.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Wife bought a new car back in 2018. Close to the same experience. Found out mice made a nest in top of the fuel tank and at through the wires. Hopefully it is something crazy like that and not a serious problem
I'm almost hoping it's something like that. Something similar happened to my husbands Sierra in early Spring when he used to park in our actual driveway. A critter (probably a Groundhog) chewed a wire harness under his truck and chewed up some of the undercoating. GMC garage quoted $996 to repair... thankfully comprehensive covered it minus the deductible of $100.
Now husband parks his truck in our front yard near the road.
I know where I park my Ranger near our garage there is a Groundhog burrow near by. I see the critter once in a while. If I pull further down the driveway to park, I'm under a thick row of trees and I hate to park there (tree sap, falling branches, etc.). I may end up in the front yard after this if we find out it was a critter.

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Hmm, that really sucks!
Are you sure that puddle is water and not coolant from your heater core? Soak it up with a tissue - if it’s clear and has no odour, it’s likely water. If it’s green or orange and smells kinda sweet, it’s likely coolant.
Or as I saw in a movie once - if it’s yellow let it mellow if it’s brown flush it down. Oh. That may not apply. Good luck with this issue and keep us posted!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'm almost hoping it's something like that. Something similar happened to my husbands Sierra in early Spring when he used to park in our actual driveway. A critter (probably a Groundhog) chewed a wire harness under his truck and chewed up some of the undercoating. GMC garage quoted $996 to repair... thankfully comprehensive covered it minus the deductible of $100.
Now husband parks his truck in our front yard near the road.
I know where I park my Ranger near our garage there is a Groundhog burrow near by. I see the critter once in a while. If I pull further down the driveway to park, I'm under a thick row of trees and I hate to park there (tree sap, falling branches, etc.). I may end up in the front yard after this if we find out it was a critter.
If the groundhog doesn't see its shadow, the replacement parts will arrive in less than two days. But if it sees its shadow, it will take six more weeks.
squinty grin.jpeg

Hope all goes well, pavel3! Rodents of all stripes chew through the soy-based plastic wire insulation for the protein. Many here have had good luck placing dryer sheets under the hood and under the cab & box to keep pests away.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the groundhog doesn't see its shadow, the replacement parts will arrive in less than two days. But if it sees its shadow, it will take six more weeks.
squinty grin.jpeg

Hope all goes well, pavel3! Rodents of all stripes chew through the soy-based plastic wire insulation for the protein. Many here have had good luck placing dryer sheets under the hood and under the cab & box to keep pests away.
I called the Ford garage just now, told them I wasn't trying to rush them but just checking to make sure my Ranger got towed in ok late yesterday afternoon and IF they did look at it, did they find anything obvious. I was told it arrived, they haven't gotten it in yet, but it's slated to be next in. I did mention about the ground hog problem and told them what they did to my husband's truck and to maybe check for anything like that. He thanked me for mentioning that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I called the Ford garage just now, told them I wasn't trying to rush them but just checking to make sure my Ranger got towed in ok late yesterday afternoon and IF they did look at it, did they find anything obvious. I was told it arrived, they haven't gotten it in yet, but it's slated to be next in. I did mention about the ground hog problem and told them what they did to my husband's truck and to maybe check for anything like that. He thanked me for mentioning that.
You can always check where your Ranger is through the app, just tap map at the bottom inside the app. It came in handy when I was sick and my gf took my truck to the store. She's not totally familiar with the streets out here so I could see where she was and make sure my Ranger was safe too. ?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Wow that's real telling about Ford Roadside assistance. I had no idea they were that useless.
It might be, but there's also the chance since the weather was bad there were a lot of other regular insurance tows waiting that pay out better or faster. I wouldn't think a guy trying to make a buck would walk away from a paying job if he didn't have other options.

I'm almost hoping it's something like that.
My daughter had a mouse or something chew up her fuel injection wires while her 2020 explorer was parked in the garage. She had to pay about $400 for a new harness since it didn't qualify as a warranty repair.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
You can always check where your Ranger is through the app, just tap map at the bottom inside the app. It came in handy when I was sick and my gf took my truck to the store. She's not totally familiar with the streets out here so I could see where she was and make sure my Ranger was safe too. ?
and more importantly if she is having the damper removed because she can handle he weight of the tailgate

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My daughter had a mouse or something chew up her fuel injection wires while her 2020 explorer was parked in the garage. She had to pay about $400 for a new harness since it didn't qualify as a warranty repair.
My husband's comprehensive insurance covered (less $100 deductible) it when a critter chews up the wiring harness on his truck. When i called the insurance company to file the claim, the agent wasn't sure if such a thing was covered under comprehensive and she had to make a call to find out. I knew it would be.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It might be, but there's also the chance since the weather was bad there were a lot of other regular insurance tows waiting that pay out better or faster. I wouldn't think a guy trying to make a buck would walk away from a paying job if he didn't have other options.
That's what the Ford assistance rep blamed it on, but like I said... two of the tow companies told me the same thing about why they won't take Ford roadside assistance calls. They really should let Ford know they want off their list.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't hear any updates so I called the Ford service department around 4 p.m. Different guy answered than this morning. He checked on the truck and came back on and said so far what they found is they had to order a serpentine belt. Said they checked for alignment and tightness and all was normal BUT there was a small chunk out of the belt. Said they don't know if a rock hit it or something bit it. I only travel paved road, I don't tail gate... so I really doubt a rock hit it. I asked if it was still going to be covered under warranty, again put on hold and he came back and said belt was ordered under warranty so I won't be charged anything. Said belt should be in tomorrow. I hope that's all they find wrong.

He said while they have the vehicle they checked for cab leak. Said something about running water all over the cab and windshield and couldn't find a leak. I asked if anyone checked to see if it was actually water that was puddled on the passenger side Weatherteck Floor Liner mat. Told him how I read that some have experienced some kind of leak under the dash having something to do with the heater. Told him yesterday morning was the first I ever turned the heater on, up until now it had only been the A/C. So he said he put a note for them to run the vehicle with the heater on once they get the belt put on.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope they resolve your problems soon, Val! :)
Someone asked me on FB how just a small chunk out of the serpentine belt could cause so much problem especially if it was still running (I guess they meant belt still circulating around). Now I'm wondering too. Can someone explain to me. Is it all about sensors being able to pick up even minute disruptions of a component?
Sponsored