MTB Bike pad - Which one do you use?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Here's my pad alternative: Exodux MultiTaskR with 4 bike mounts.

50164185802_31430c2892_c.jpg
IMG_8811
by Nate, on Flickr

It attaches to the truck bed using the existing mounting holes for the swing boxes/bed extender.

50164186377_a21ee29aca_c.jpg
IMG_8806
by Nate, on Flickr
Sponsored

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here's my pad alternative: Exodux MultiTaskR with 4 bike mounts.
Nice! A couple questions for you:
- when you aren't using it can it be rolled back into the bed (while still attached)? Appears that way based on looking at the design.
- can you fit road bikes on there or is it essentially mountain bike only? Actually, l just reminded myself what a road bike looks like and I am 99% sure it wouldn't work... unless they were attached using a different method (i.e. not under the fork)
- how much space is there between your back wheel and the rear of the truck bed?

Thanks in advance.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Nice! A couple questions for you:
- when you aren't using it can it be rolled back into the bed (while still attached)? Appears that way based on looking at the design.
- can you fit road bikes on there or is it essentially mountain bike only? Actually, l just reminded myself what a road bike looks like and I am 99% sure it wouldn't work... unless they were attached using a different method (i.e. not under the fork)
- how much space is there between your back wheel and the rear of the truck bed?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you can flip it into the bed when not using it. For that matter, you can flip it onto the tailgate. Though once you get to that point, there's only one security bolt to loosen to remove it completely.

No, you can't really use it for road bikes. Especially not modern ones with carbon forks. But most road bikes lack clearance between the front tire and the bottom of the steerer, anyway. And that's IF the steerer was open down there, which it usually isn't on modern carbon forks. I have my fork mounts on a piece of wood still for that purpose if I need it.

The collets that fit into the bottom of the steerer tube ARE sized. Mine has the bigger collets for tapered steerer tubes, but you can get smaller ones for straight 1 1/8" steerers, too.

I haven't measured how much space there is between the back tire and the front of the bed, but my measurements aren't going to matter for most, anyway. It's going to depend heavily on your particular bike and its particular dimensions. The two bikes in my pic are VERY different from each other dimensionally (they're 2 sizes apart, plus they have different wheel sizes).

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes, you can flip it into the bed when not using it. For that matter, you can flip it onto the tailgate. Though once you get to that point, there's only one security bolt to loosen to remove it completely.

No, you can't really use it for road bikes. Especially not modern ones with carbon forks. But most road bikes lack clearance between the front tire and the bottom of the steerer, anyway. And that's IF the steerer was open down there, which it usually isn't on modern carbon forks. I have my fork mounts on a piece of wood still for that purpose if I need it.

The collets that fit into the bottom of the steerer tube ARE sized. Mine has the bigger collets for tapered steerer tubes, but you can get smaller ones for straight 1 1/8" steerers, too.

I haven't measured how much space there is between the back tire and the front of the bed, but my measurements aren't going to matter for most, anyway. It's going to depend heavily on your particular bike and its particular dimensions. The two bikes in my pic are VERY different from each other dimensionally (they're 2 sizes apart, plus they have different wheel sizes).
Thanks for the info. Looks like a cool system. Currently have a 2 bike tray rack and looking for something for 4 bikes, but it looks like each option has its pros and cons. I really like the way this one carries mountain bikes but the specific steerer tube thing makes it a bit more complex and it's nice to have the option to carry road bikes occasionally. Used to have a North Shore rack and had the same issue with road bikes.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Thanks for the info. Looks like a cool system. Currently have a 2 bike tray rack and looking for something for 4 bikes, but it looks like each option has its pros and cons. I really like the way this one carries mountain bikes but the specific steerer tube thing makes it a bit more complex and it's nice to have the option to carry road bikes occasionally. Used to have a North Shore rack and had the same issue with road bikes.
Everything has compromises inherent in it.

I have several bike transport methods, honestly. I now have this Exodux rack with the unique steerer tube method. Works great for mountain bikes. Not so well with road bikes. I have a 2 bike hitch mount rack (Kuat NV 2.0) which carries road or mountain bikes relatively well (except if there are full length fenders involved), but blocks backup cameras. I have 2 1upUSA roof trays, which have similar limitations to the Kuat trays regarding which bikes work, but instead of blocking backup cameras, it involves lifting bikes onto the roof. I also have a few fork mounts for different axle types on a piece of wood. IMO, this type works best for road bikes, especially ones with full fenders. But, the wood attachment method doesn't work with all vehicles.

Me, I hate tailgate pads for anything except very occasional use and only on someone else's truck.

I really like the Ride88 rack, but because I wanted the rack to work while towing my camper, carrying bikes with the tailgate down simply wasn't an option.

https://www.ride88.com/

I also like roof trays on crossbars over the bed.

https://yakima.com/products/bedrock-hd-system

But, being that I also wanted to carry boats, it introduced compatibility concerns. Especially considering I want to be able to carry bikes AND a canoe while towing my camper.

I have crossbars on my camper, which I've used to transport both bikes and my canoe (not at the same time). The problem with doing that (and not having a way to transport either on the truck) is that I have to limit my use of those items to straight out of the campsite. Sometimes that's not a problem. But it limits destinations pretty heavily.

So, given my pretty specific requirements, it pushed me towards the MultiTaskR such that I have to then accept other limitations in order to get my major requirements addressed.

Tulumben

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Me, I hate tailgate pads for anything except very occasional use and only on someone else's truck.
Holy crap you have a lot of gear. Thanks for all the info.

What don't you like about tailgate pads? I don't own one and only used them a couple of times in other people's trucks but I like the idea of them in terms of being simple and versatile. Is it the fact that you can damage your bike and/or the tailgate of the truck?

The MultiTaskR system does look pretty cool to me and I'll definitely look into it further. Prob going to keep my tray rack anyways so can swap out as needed.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Holy crap you have a lot of gear. Thanks for all the info.

What don't you like about tailgate pads? I don't own one and only used them a couple of times in other people's trucks but I like the idea of them in terms of being simple and versatile. Is it the fact that you can damage your bike and/or the tailgate of the truck?

The MultiTaskR system does look pretty cool to me and I'll definitely look into it further. Prob going to keep my tray rack anyways so can swap out as needed.
Ha, gear is just about all that I have. But yes, it drives a lot of decisions in my life.

It's mostly about the fact that you can damage your bike and the tailgate of the truck. The first time I used one (on someone else's shuttle truck), the chainstays of the bikes made contact and mine chipped. Just one ride, that's not regular use. I've read lots of stories on bike websites about damage to downtubes and whatnot, too.

As for the tailgate damage, you might be able to avoid it if you keep your truck immaculate and you only ever drive pavement, but that's not me. I drive lots of dirt roads and I might wash my truck once or twice a year. All the dust from those dirt roads is going to scour the tailgate pretty good with a tailgate pad rubbing on it.

Also, bikes on tailgate pads often block the backup camera and/or interfere handily with parking sensors. The Exodux leaves good room for the backup camera, at least. It raises the bikes a bit higher than what a tailgate pad does, so there should be less parking sensor interference at least.

Security is another concern. Thieves in my area are targeting bikes on tailgate pads because you have to take extra steps to secure them from theft, and almost nobody does. I live in a mountain bike destination, so there's a LOT for them to choose from. Just about any parking lot you visit has multiple vehicles in it with bikes on the vehicles and usually at least one is a truck with tailgate pad. The Multitaskr rack is novel, for one, but the knobs that secure the bikes are "lockable". Basically, they've got a unique security bolt that disengages the knob. Plus it's still possible to run a cable through the frames and the bed tie down loops. From a theft prevention standpoint, even if you don't lock them, nothing is going to reduce the amount of time it takes to turn the knob to be able to remove the bikes (time and ease are things bike thieves look for), aside from taking a reciprocating saw and cutting the rack itself. At that point, you're dealing with a pro and there's really nothing you can do short of standing there with the bike(s) and daring them to fight you for the bikes.

Another aspect of security is how snugly the bikes are held during transport. Tailgate pads are going to allow some movement because they just use simple fabric straps. On the aforementioned gravel roads, that's going to increase rubbing on both the bikes and the tailgate. Rough enough, and things will bounce. The Multitaskr rack is WAY more snug. Those bikes aren't moving.

gunks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Sport
I have a hitch mount rack coming in but I used my brothers Dakine pad that he uses for his Tacoma. It fit great and can still see out of the reverse camera
6845565B-F926-4255-88EB-88BD2F745572.jpeg

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Currently I use a Kuat Sherpa but the trays don't fit my recently purchased Trek Farley, which uses huge 27.5" x 4.5" tires. So earlier this week I threw the bike over the tailgate with a moving blanket. There was lots of bike/truck contact on painted surfaces, which I don't like. Kuat offers a larger tray/strap for some of their other racks, but not the Sherpa.

So far I'm not seeing a solution here that I like.
-It seems that most tailgate pads will create pressure points on the painted exterior of the tailgate and/or the bicycle frame.
-The Exodux is awesome, but won't work with my rigid front end bicycles.
-The Latchit is great, but bouncing tailgates are bad and the bicycle's front wheel ends up lower than I'd like.

Maybe I just suck it up and order the Ride88 in bed rack. Then I can transfer it to my Van as needed.

-Tom

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Currently I use a Kuat Sherpa but the trays don't fit my recently purchased Trek Farley, which uses huge 27.5" x 4.5" tires. So earlier this week I threw the bike over the tailgate with a moving blanket. There was lots of bike/truck contact on painted surfaces, which I don't like. Kuat offers a larger tray/strap for some of their other racks, but not the Sherpa.

So far I'm not seeing a solution here that I like.
-It seems that most tailgate pads will create pressure points on the painted exterior of the tailgate and/or the bicycle frame.
-The Exodux is awesome, but won't work with my rigid front end bicycles.
-The Latchit is great, but bouncing tailgates are bad and the bicycle's front wheel ends up lower than I'd like.

Maybe I just suck it up and order the Ride88 in bed rack. Then I can transfer it to my Van as needed.

-Tom
Tom, I am in a similar boat.

I use a Kuat Sherpa on my Subarus, but don't like the idea of a hitch rack on my future truck. I don't want the truck to be even longer - it won't fit in my driveway or garage with the rack. I don't like removing the rack daily.

I share you concerns on a tailgate pad, even though they are otherwise ideal.

Until this thread, I never heard of Ride88. I will go that route most likely, even though the rack is pricey.

Good Luck. Enjoy the Farley. I want a fat bike one day. Need something to ride in winter.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

mountainmerit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lightning Blue Lariat FX4
I work in the bike industry just picked up a new Ranger, and there is NO WAY I'm putting my bikes on a tailgate pad - keep those on shuttle-duty beaters.

I use a KUAT Sherpa 2.0 and it's a great height with the factory t+t package. For camping trips I'll add my swing-away attachment, but tailgate pads are really hard on trucks. Everyone at work that has one has a destroyed/dented/scratched tailgate.

Reactions: EJH

Izzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Lots of good info here! I just had to trade in my transit travel van to get my wife a ranger. I seriously love it and don't regret it since I rather her have a reliable car for her and my son. But we do travel a LOT for bike races and I'm really trying to find a good solution to carry one or more bikes. I was really close to buy a pad but thankfully I found this thread. I would have been really upset if I scuffed her truck or messed up my bikes.

Reactions: EJH