First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've never understood putting anything against the paint? Why?

Buy a Thule rack. Slide it in the hitch. Nothing touches the paint. Educate me as to why I am wrong?

Or build a rack like I did to put the bikes in the bed... so nothing touches the paint.

Toyota and Bikes.jpg
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4

Buy a Thule rack. Slide it in the hitch. Nothing touches the paint. Educate me as to why I am wrong?

Or build a rack like I did to put the bikes in the bed... so nothing touches the paint.

Toyota and Bikes.jpg
You're not wrong. I'm the exact same way.

I've got 3 different ways to transport bikes. 2 in bed. One hitch. None touch the paint of either the truck or the bikes.

GTIDudeMkVI

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4, 2012 Lexus GX460
Picked up Fox pad with a 20% discount at Trek.

20201122_140343.jpg

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Got the latchit rack in today.

Very nice fit and finish.

31" from front of bed to the rear 29r tire on a large megatower.

20191225_163338.jpg

20191225_163325.jpg
Glad you mentioned the distance to tires.... I want to keep my folding cover on while loading bikes. Not possible putting them on the tailgate.

Last edited:

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD
Here's my pad alternative: Exodux MultiTaskR with 4 bike mounts.

50164185802_31430c2892_c.jpg
IMG_8811
by Nate, on Flickr

It attaches to the truck bed using the existing mounting holes for the swing boxes/bed extender.

50164186377_a21ee29aca_c.jpg
IMG_8806
by Nate, on Flickr
The multitaskr looks interesting. How much room for the tire to front of bed? Think I mentioned it but it want to use a trifold tonneau while hauling backs. It will be folded of course. Also how long to install and remove?mince thing with the latchit rack is it takes like 20 seconds. Thanks!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
The multitaskr looks interesting. How much room for the tire to front of bed? Think I mentioned it but it want to use a trifold tonneau while hauling backs. It will be folded of course. Also how long to install and remove?mince thing with the latchit rack is it takes like 20 seconds. Thanks!
I dunno how far. Not that my bikes will matter for anyone else. It all depends on the wheelbase length of your bike. The two bikes I carry with it have VERY different clearance distances.

Doesn't take so long. You spend more time turning the knob to snug the collet inside the headtube than anything else. More time than the latchit. But it also holds the bikes a LOT more securely than the latchit.

Trifold tonneau covers suck for exactly this reason. If I was going to get a tonneau cover, it'd be a Retrax.

Reactions: EJH

Kevreh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat RWD

Toyota and Bikes.jpg
what did you build, something out of wood?

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Only way to fly...Tried em all, and went back to old faithful. When folded up I still fit in the garage..:)
TruckRack.jpg

crocodiledaddee

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Paramedic
E73561AB-2963-493C-8F77-093EEBC60E69.jpeg

I just went with a cheap tailgate pad from Amazon. It works for me. Sturdy, and sits to one side of the tailgate so I have full use of my camera

GMTmin5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Those who use the Latchit rack, would you still recommend it after using it for a while? I have a hitch rack but don’t want to keep that on the truck everyday. The latchit seems like it will fit all my needs: multiple bikes and bike sizes, easy on/off, locking.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Those who use the Latchit rack, would you still recommend it after using it for a while? I have a hitch rack but don’t want to keep that on the truck everyday. The latchit seems like it will fit all my needs: multiple bikes and bike sizes, easy on/off, locking.
I've had the latchit rack for a year now and it has been as easy and functional as advertised. So far here's my impression:

- concept is solid, realized product falls short with cheap construction, materials are wearing much sooner than expected, cross members are kinda flimsy.
- bed space is awesome, but extra care must be taken to tie down gear on long trips since the rack is not load bearing
- very easy to carry multiple bikes of any size
- donuts with two bikes loaded in a rutted field confirm that bikes are secure, front wheel strap is a huge plus. Very good design.
- 5000 mile FL-CO-FL trip show no adverse effects from travelling with the tailgate down, tailgate will jump if you hit bumps too fast, bike stayed pretty clean the whole way.
- padded cross member and frame tie downs will scratch/rub bike frame paint, pad itself is starting to deteriorate. Not so good.
- cargo bag is starting to deteriorate, only carry dirty clothes and shoes to and from trails. Not so good.
- lock and cable is another solid concept poorly realized. Good for quick stops at the store, but would not rely on it for long stops.

Overall it is convenient for hauling multiple bikes and I will keep it for that purpose, but I am moving on to an in bed thru-axle mount for road trips and solo rides. Less convenient cause I have to remove the front wheel, but cargo is more secure with the tailgate up and nothing will be rubbing on the frame with the axle mount.

If you have kids or otherwise haul multiple bikes regularly, this rack will serve you well.

GMTmin5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Thanks for the long-term review. The early wear and tear does not sound promising from something that expensive.

I ended up ordering a Dakine DLX tailgate pad for about $100 that I'll give a shot for local trips and I'll use the hitch mount rack for longer ones or if I need more space in the bed. I regularly carry 3 bikes, at least once/week, to bring my kids to their mtb group so just putting them all in the bed isn't going to work. Figure the pad was inexpensive enough to at least give it a shot as I don't want to keep the hitch rack on the truck all the time.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
what did you build, something out of wood?
Yes. And it fit's in our Ranger too! I used stuff I had on hand and the only thing I purchased specifically for this projects are the bolts and wing nuts. So maybe $4 spent on this.

Happy Trails!

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Last edited:

Shelpdogg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
Went from a Kuat Platform rack that weighed about 60lbs to this. I love it.
Doesn't scratch my paint or leave a dent in the tailgate. The padding is thick where the fork stanchions meet the pad and I use a microfiber between the two so as not to scratch anything.

InkedFox Pad_LI.jpg

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the long-term review. The early wear and tear does not sound promising from something that expensive.

I ended up ordering a Dakine DLX tailgate pad for about $100 that I'll give a shot for local trips and I'll use the hitch mount rack for longer ones or if I need more space in the bed. I regularly carry 3 bikes, at least once/week, to bring my kids to their mtb group so just putting them all in the bed isn't going to work. Figure the pad was inexpensive enough to at least give it a shot as I don't want to keep the hitch rack on the truck all the time.
Yeah I hate to leave a bad review for a small business with such a good idea. The concept is fantastic, and fundamentally works very well, but they flopped with construction and material selection. I don't regret buying it and I'll continue to use it for hauling multiple bikes, but I expected better for $400.
Sponsored