Moving to CO and my Ranger will be in a completely different climate/altitude. Any modifications I should make?

doctormario

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
Currently I'm in the CA desert. It's hot, it's dusty and I'm at a low altitude.

Soon I'll be living at 5,000+ feet in cold CO this winter.

Are there any modifications that will help my Ranger out in the new climate?

Current thoughts:
  • Change wiper fluid to one that has a lower freezing point
  • Different oil?
  • Different air filter? I have the K&N high airflow filter that came with the FPT but I didn't install it because it's exceptionally dusty where I am in CA. Would it be a good idea to put that filter in when I get to CO?
Sponsored

OP
OP
doctormario

doctormario

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Software Engineer
definitely take care of the wiper fluid
5W30 is good from -30 to +40C.....so if you weren't worried about it in CA, i wouldn't worry about it in CO unless you exceed those numbers. google your new address and see what average temps are.
warm it up a little longer before you drive if you are hitting low temps often.
i dont think your air filter needs to worry about how much air it will ingest. its the density that the fuel system needs to worry about and the computers will adjust for it. You'll probably end up using lower octane fuel anyways.
Thanks for the info! Looks like the only thing I have to worry about is which trail I'll take my Ranger on first ?

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Depending on your location and how bald they are, you may want to look at better tires for winter. The Hankooks leave a lot to be desired in the slush.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Your truck will be just fine up here. Washer fluid can be replaced when needed, but I just use regular old gas station bought stuff here. It's in the engine bay, so it will be a useable temperature after a bit of driving.

Tires, as recommended above. I ran Hankooks for years on a Trailblazer I had and they were fine, but if you're low on tread (5/32 or less) I would recommend getting new tires. The non-OEM Hankooks are decent, but there are better options. If the roads are bad, you can always lower the tire pressure (and speeds) to offer better traction.

Your truck is smart enough to compensate for altitude so, while you'll feel a loss in power, it will drive just fine up here.

The biggest change you can make is to the hardware between the steering wheel and the seat. Also, camp in the mountains, no the left lane. (That advice lives everywhere though :D)

towpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Lariet F150
wiper fluid that is for use above 32deg is only thing that needs to be changed.
Ford shipped (and recommends) fluids that are comparable with any location that they sell Rangers.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You are definitely going to need a tailgate damper.
Sponsored