MPG dropped

calistangr

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 1990 Mustang GT Convertible
Hi everyone, l was curious about something... I changed my oil this weekend like normal but this time I switched to Mobile1 synthetic from Motorcraft synthetic blend. That night I reset my oil life gauge before heading out to work. I normally get about 22.3 to 22.5 mpg. I use 87 octane from 76. Anyway that night and the following day my mpg was 20.9. Is this a normal thing, has anyone else experienced this.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Something you may want to pay attention to is all the various conditions and changes to the vehicle. Wind direction, tire pressure, the alignment of the starts!! Lol. Put simple things can change MPG all together. Did the oil do that? I doubt it because full synthetic is supposed to help MPG. Now as for using 87? You are probably best to use 91 or higher as the overall performance will go up including MPG as long as you keep it easy. As for tire pressure if you did lower that then that may be the big factor here. When i got my tuck the tires were still at 45 wich is what they were when delivered to the dealer. When i dropped them to 30 MPG dropped dur to full tread contact. Maybe that is the case for you? Check these out first and maybe that will help.

Vitis805

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Wine Nerd
Hi everyone, l was curious about something... I changed my oil this weekend like normal but this time I switched to Mobile1 synthetic from Motorcraft synthetic blend. That night I reset my oil life gauge before heading out to work. I normally get about 22.3 to 22.5 mpg. I use 87 octane from 76. Anyway that night and the following day my mpg was 20.9. Is this a normal thing, has anyone else experienced this.
I actually did notice this after the first oil change. I used Shell gas-truck 5w30 and immediately noticed the computer calculating a loss over the syn-blend. I thought it was strange because the Shell is full-syn and should theoretically give slightly better mileage. I chocked it up to some other additives (friction reducer?) the factory must have added to assist break-in. I will switch back to the syn-blend @ ~22k miles (currently @12k) and see if there are any changes.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You will find if you check mileage at every fill up that the MPG can vary. The amount of gas to fill up can change according to the temp of the gas, the angle of the station, do you stop at the first click, how sensitive the shutoff on the nozzle, and many more variables. One tank full one time doesnt make a trend.

OP
OP
calistangr

calistangr

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 1990 Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on running 91 octane the next time I fill up. As far as tire pressure I run them at 36psi. I have been driving it this week and my mpg average as of today is 21.7. I am still running the factory tire set up for now.
Again thanks for the responses.
Sponsored