Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Hello Phil,
My truck came off the transport with somewhere between 30-33 miles. Asking the Dealer about why the mileage...they said that every vehicle is tested before it is shipped. Is this correct or are only a few randomly selected vehicles tested? Couldn't find any documenation in the paperwork about mine being tested.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul, with those miles I expect you were one of the lucky ones to have your truck pulled, and ran around the track for a quality check.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
After prep, including my test drive, and possibly others.

None were ordered. The 13 was my '17 FiST, 30 was my wife's CX-5, think my WRX had 17, and my Ranger was low 20s. Can't recall the rest.

Don't forget mileage can rack up during transport. Depending on the size of the rail yard and the layout your truck could see 5-10 miles there alone.

Is there a problem with your truck?
No, just curious about the mileage off the transport that relates to factory testing...
(2) Mileage When Ordered Truck Arrived | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
We special ordered 2/2020, built 6/2020, delivered 7/2020. Dealer still puts webpage photos up until delivery is complete. Our photo showed 27.0 miles. Photos are one of the first things that dealer does upon arrival. So our Ranger may have come off the truck with those miles.

I asked our salesman where the miles came from. Most other stock Rangers had less than 10. He said in mid 2020 after the plant shutdown, there were transportation delays, tie-ups and transfers being done than may have added some miles. He had no way of knowing for sure.

Ours was built shortly after the plant restarted. Perhaps some factory shakedown miles.

Our Ranger has been perfect so far. We're happy.

Image 050.png

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paul, with those miles I expect you were one of the lucky ones to have your truck pulled, and ran around the track for a quality check.
Hey Jim,
That would be a plus! Trying to find out if every vehicle is tested at the factory or only certain selected ones? :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Phil,
My truck came off the transport with somewhere between 30-33 miles. Asking the Dealer about why the mileage...they said that every vehicle is tested before it is shipped. Is this correct or are only a few randomly selected vehicles tested? Couldn't find any documenation in the paperwork about mine being tested.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Sounds like you got one that was evaluated. This is good as if any problems were found, they are corrected before the truck leaves the plant for the shipping yard... It would be impossible for every vehicle to be driven...simply too much time and personpower would be required to drive every vehicle on an evaluation rout. Plant drives would be more like 7 to 10 units per day. What every vehicle goes through is a rolls test where it is hooked up to an umbilical cord and run the vehicle is put through a brief cycling of the powertrain...So yes every vehicle is tested but the mileage accumulation on the rolls is minimal...

Best,
Phil

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi Paul,

Sounds like you got one that was evaluated. This is good as if any problems were found, they are corrected before the truck leaves the plant for the shipping yard... It would be impossible for every vehicle to be driven...simply too much time and personpower would be required to drive every vehicle on an evaluation rout. Plant drives would be more like 7 to 10 units per day. What every vehicle goes through is a rolls test where it is hooked up to an umbilical cord and run the vehicle is put through a brief cycling of the powertrain...So yes every vehicle is tested but the mileage accumulation on the rolls is minimal...

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil,
Assuming the evaluation test drive is to check all the standard drivetrain components? Are extras such as a 4X4 system, etc; also tested in the process?

Regards,
Paul

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
These responses all seem along what I was expecting to see when mine finally shows up. I was talking to my neighbor about his GMC that he ordered and his had nearly 100 miles on it, which seemed way too high for an ordered truck. This made me realize I had no basis to judge whether mine had reasonable miles on it when I go to pick it up.

I've never ordered before this but bought new vehicles and they all had between 100-200 miles on them, which always contributed to dealer test drives.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
These responses all seem along what I was expecting to see when mine finally shows up. I was talking to my neighbor about his GMC that he ordered and his had nearly 100 miles on it, which seemed way too high for an ordered truck. This made me realize I had no basis to judge whether mine had reasonable miles on it when I go to pick it up.

I've never ordered before this but bought new vehicles and they all had between 100-200 miles on them, which always contributed to dealer test drives.
John, IIRC my Ranger had less than 10 miles. My '13 F-150 had 33 when I picked it up. I suspect it was one that was pulled for the longer test. I owned that F-150 for close to 7 years, and it was only at the dealer for oil changes. I'm hoping the same can be said for my Ranger in 7 years.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Mine had 36 miles when I drove it off the lot which included my test drive. The dealer I purchased mine from has the new vehicles delivered to their old dealership building where they do all the prep before it is brought to the lot. It is about 12 miles away and I am quite sure if the vehicle catches the drivers eye they may not take the most direct route.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil,
Assuming the evaluation test drive is to check all the standard drivetrain components? Are extras such as a 4X4 system, etc; also tested in the process?

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul,

Everything between the front and rear bumper is under scrutiny..Paint, HVAC, component fit, powertrain, wipers and the list goes on and on.

best,
Phil

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Hi Paul,

Everything between the front and rear bumper is under scrutiny..Paint, HVAC, component fit, powertrain, wipers and the list goes on and on.

best,
Phil
Mine had 29 miles at delivery. I assume some miles were put on when the truck had the factory spray-in liner in addition to the normal miles from factory to delivery to dealer.

UncleBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 2WD in Magnetic
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,

There are several type of drives done on a sample of vehicle...most common are plant drives where the plant QC folks evaluate a vehicle...mileage varies but is around 25 to 30 or so. Likely there is no sticker to indicate this as it is within limits of a "new" truck. Then there are launch drives done by Dearborn engineers and Engineering Drives for assessing a problem for example...we were limited to 75 miles and we carried a roll of stickers that explained the evaluation and extended the warranty by the indicated mileage which we put on the vehicle. If we went over 75 miles, which happened on rare occasions, then we Truck Engineering, had to buy the vehicle and the plant put in place another duplicate vehicle order. Most time we did really did not want or need the over 75 mile vehicle and it was sent to a wholesaler or auction...

Hope this makes sense...

best,
Phil
Years ago I special ordered (new) a '92 T-Bird. I did this because I wanted the digital speedo and included oil maintenance monitor which no dealer would have ordered for stock. Back then the T-Bird was built in Canada. When I received the car I found a note in the glove box explaining that the car had been selected by the U.S. EPA for testing for compliance with emissions requirements and that is why there was an extra 125 miles on the odometer. They also stated that the warranty would be extended for an additional 125 miles.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
My ordered truck had 9 miles on it.
Sponsored