First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
May be joining the Dark side a picking up a new Jeep Gladiator Diesel this weekend. I’m getting astronomical offers on my lifted, modded Ranger that I can no longer refuse.

For me being a person who is into off road and likes to mod vehicles, the Ranger just isnt it for me. Aftermarket support is limited and prices are ridiculous. I really do like my Ranger but I think it may be time to move on.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you're really into wheeling the Jeep (as I'm finding out) has unlimited resources for aftermarket stuff. I haven't taken my Jeep off road yet but I can tell it'll be a whole lotta fun when I do. Not that the Ranger isn't but they're two different animals. Good luck Trevor whatever you do and stop back and show off your new ride.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
The gladiator forum is a good group of dudes (and ladies) just like this forum. I missed having a 3rd pedal too much. I bought my ranger for 32.5, sold it for 34 and the dealership is asking over 40 for it.

OP
OP
McLeadslinger

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
You are 100% correct. I’m a tough sell so
I may not be leaving just yet. Lol. But hopefully it goes well ?
If you're really into wheeling the Jeep (as I'm finding out) has unlimited resources for aftermarket stuff. I haven't taken my Jeep off road yet but I can tell it'll be a whole lotta fun when I do. Not that the Ranger isn't but they're two different animals. Good luck Trevor whatever you do and stop back and show off your new ride.

onemanlan

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger LTX
Occupation
Reseracher
I mean if you're being offered stupid money for your current truck & think you can bag a Jeep in the process, why not? Its a weird time for vehicle sales right now. If you're able to take advantage of it & it leads to an enhancement in your own life then by all means. Curious about the diesel Jeeps though. Haven't really seen much on them.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i get that, im off road a lot and want the nearly infinite list of aftermarket goodies like jeeps get. however, i can honestly say i would not trust any jeep newer than a tj to get me back home without breaking down... i know thats a lil silly. they are not that unreliable. but, id say the ranger is much more reliable than jeep / fiat / Chrysler these days. dont get me wrong i would be thrilled to have certain jeeps. id slap a gorilla in a locked monkey sized caged for a m715 or a lj ruby and many others. i am a sucker for a good deal... show us the gladiator.

oh and for the record - if i ever get a gladiator my hood will be labeled as
*Glad he ate her*
in place of rubicon or willys etc. :p

Edit for fairness = not that jeeps or any brand was super reliable before the jeep tj era, its simply that the older they are the more likely i am to be able to do patch up repairs to get home lol. if something went wrong with the new ranger id be sol real quick. too much computer witchcraft on it for me to fix.

Last edited:

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
i get that, im off road a lot and want the nearly infinite list of aftermarket goodies like jeeps get. however, i can honestly say i would not trust any jeep newer than a tj to get me back home without breaking down... i know thats a lil silly. they are not that unreliable. but, id say the ranger is much more reliable than jeep / fiat / Chrysler these days. dont get me wrong i would be thrilled to have certain jeeps. id slap a gorilla in a locked monkey sized caged for a m715 or a lj ruby and many others. i am a sucker for a good deal... show us the gladiator.

oh and for the record - if i ever get a gladiator my hood will be labeled as
*Glad he ate her*
in place of rubicon or willys etc. :p
I don’t own a Jeep, but I can say that the transmission (ZF8) and the 3.6 Pentastar engines are really bullet proof. I’ve owned a few Chrysler products and did my research on the ZF8 and 3.6 and they’re both battle tested platforms. Possible electrical issues on a Jeep, that’s another story lol

I’d trust the 3.6 and ZF8 more than the 2.3 and 10 speed on this truck to be honest

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
It all depends on what you want and do in your truck. If I was offered say 40k for my Ranger right now I would have to pass. Mostly stock and paid about 34k. But now, how would I be sure I can replace it with what I want in a truck, that so far the Ranger fulfills. Good luck.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
May be joining the Dark side a picking up a new Jeep Gladiator Diesel this weekend. I’m getting astronomical offers on my lifted, modded Ranger that I can no longer refuse.

For me being a person who is into off road and likes to mod vehicles, the Ranger just isnt it for me. Aftermarket support is limited and prices are ridiculous. I really do like my Ranger but I think it may be time to move on.
With all the smack talk you do about Ford I’d say you need to follow your heart and jump on out. You know you will be hating that glad before long though, then it’s on to what..a ZR2?

I don’t care of the glad is the greatest truck on earth (it’s not) but every time is see one, that angled wrangler-spec rear door and that 7’ bed overhang make me a little sick to my stomach.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I see the issue as a total of what it cost, and what I have put into it, I would need to get 41K out of it to break even, then start all over again with a more expensive vehicle...... never ends as there will always be something new... and better, down the road.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Not that it’ll make a huge difference in your decision, but the Ranger has one big advantage that you can’t fix on the Gladiator and that’s wheelbase. Anyhow good luck on whatever you decide.
My neighbor has a Glad he is building into a desert running overlander. His one big gripe is the wheelbase, he says you cannot do tight trails as it needs to much room to turn.

Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I see the issue as a total of what it cost, and what I have put into it, I would need to get 41K out of it to break even, then start all over again with a more expensive vehicle...... never ends as there will always be something new... and better, down the road.
very good point!

BrassSlinger

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Velocity Blue Tremor Lariat,2017 Honda Civic
Occupation
Technician
If thats what your heart desires and you are happy,then go for it.
No hate here,you do whats best for you. Just dont huy a Prius

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i was looking forward to the gladiator being more jeep truck than wrangler with a bed. maybe if they offered it like a scrambler with 2 door and a bed built on the 2 door wrangler id be really tempted.
Sponsored